Pg Secretweapon Cold Air Intake Now Available!!!

Man oh man, I want a K N cold air intake.
On other thread, (with a custom made intake) somebody said about a 5hp increase, and that sucks big time! If I do that mod, I expect at least 15hp with K N. Well have to wait until K N releases one and shows the official specs.

i was the one who said 5 hp , actually my friends told me that but ur right if i put that intake i do expect at least 15 hp too... like 30 mins ago i raced with a jaguar xj8 and i was too close to win seriously i could win that race if i had like 25 more horsepower... that jag has 300 hp and an aluminium body. I have a 06' XJ8 Super V8 which has 400 hp thnx to supercharger lol, it really goes fast i think 0-60 mph in 5 secs sumtin... anyway i like my cx-9 and i wanna put that intake badly.

Btw that secret weapon intake was first made for ford EDGE. And according to EDGE forum members, it didnt work well for 'em. I just read the whole story @ ford edge forums. I m so confused here i just need 20 more hp and im stuck i got nothin to do bout it.(cryhard) Even ford ranger has a cold air intake from K&N. And its plug and play, not a custom intake. They made it for ranger.

People us guys with turbos dont even see 15-20whp on a CAI upgrade. You have to be realistic. Its not that big of an upgrade. But it is one that with an exhaust will do wonders for your cars performance. You have to start somewhere.

Well im thinkin bout trading my cx-9 , so im not gonna spend money on my cx-9 anymore. I have like 8500 miles on my cx-9 (It was a brand new car) and its been 6 months since i got it. I really like it but i think i ll stick with european cars.

My opinion, but these aftermarket parts are aimed at owners who aren't that car savvy and can be conned into buying anything. Just the latest trendy nonsense to show off when you pop the hood.

yeah, you're right. the whole performance aftermarket is bunch of ouija boards and snake oil salesmen. no one ever gains anything from modifying a car! (hippy)

theres a couple flaws to your logic when it comes to improving the factory intake. firstly, the size of the filter has nothing to do with how well it draws in a colder or warmer air charge. secondly, aluminum has much better heat transfer qualities than molded plastic which renders the 'warm pipe' argument either moot or in the pipe's favor. thirdly, the air intake system as designed by the factory has a dual purpose - sound resonance. in that regard you normally have extra chambers, snake bends, and release points in the factory intake so that the weak of stomach/faint of heart can't hear the gas guzzling internal combustion behemoth under the hood. this is far more inefficient in terms of intake flow path and is far outweighed from a performance standpoint by a straight pipe. fourthly, part of the gain comes from the mass air sensor. in fact i would say more of the gain comes from that than anything else. the factory intake where the MAF sits is X diameter and Y distance from the throttle body. when you change X and Y, you are altering the signal to the computer and thereby altering the fuel to air mixture.

Man oh man, I want a K N cold air intake.
On other thread, (with a custom made intake) somebody said about a 5hp increase, and that sucks big time! If I do that mod, I expect at least 15hp with K N. Well have to wait until K N releases one and shows the official specs.

you will never see 15 actual wheel horsepower, on a dyno, on a non-turbocharged or non-supercharged engine, regardless of who makes an intake, sorry. if you see even a 10 hp gain its because the car is conservatively tuned from the manufacturer and the new intake is manipulating the mass air signal enough to lean out the car and make that power back. manufacturer dyno graphs are well known to be 'generous' in their results once you do your own dyno. i've seen enough K&N systems dynoed in my time to known the sticker on the pipe doesn't change that its just a shiny pipe with a better flowing filter.

Well im thinkin bout trading my cx-9 , so im not gonna spend money on my cx-9 anymore. I have like 8500 miles on my cx-9 (It was a brand new car) and its been 6 months since i got it. I really like it but i think i ll stick with european cars.

sorry to see you go - what led you to this decision?

lol im too young for driving a family car jk =) ofcourse cx-9 is an awesome car but i wish it was a lil bit more powerful, like 0-60 mph in 6.5 =P... if I could add 20 more hp to my cx-9 i would never think bout trading it.

Price seems a bit high compared to most Intakes. If it was ~$200 I would consider. If anyone tries please provide feedback.

what other intakes are available for the cx-9 at present? most intakes we offer for other cars are above $200

None. I know that. However that is a moot point for many. My option is don't do anything. I purchased and F2 intake for my Mazda3 for $180, basically the same type of component. If the solution was much over $200, it just doesn't make much sense for the small gain in HP/mileage/throttle response. I would rather have it than not, but there is a price barrier to entering the marketplace. Same reason why not everyone is buying a Blu Ray Player. Some are, but most are not even though HDDVD is dead there is still a price barrier to entering the market.

I say what I know only.

Ive seen KN CAI that say they add 10-12 horsepower at certain rpms , some even add 14.
So I guess now probably 15 wont happen, but 10-12 might.

And this is the only forum where people say a CAI doesnt work, doesnt improve perfomance. Its curious.

I have already bought a KN CAI for another car, (Im waiting for it to arrive) so Ill see by myself how much is truth and how much is a lie (at least from my experience driving a car I pretty much know) The KN for this car adds 9.27 horsepower, Ill see what happens.

Im thinking of buying JBA headers as well...anyway, I started with the KN CAI, so Ill wait.

There are several months I guess till we see a KN CAI for the CX-9.

None. I know that. However that is a moot point for many. My option is don't do anything. I purchased and F2 intake for my Mazda3 for $180, basically the same type of component. If the solution was much over $200, it just doesn't make much sense for the small gain in HP/mileage/throttle response. I would rather have it than not, but there is a price barrier to entering the marketplace. Same reason why not everyone is buying a Blu Ray Player. Some are, but most are not even though HDDVD is dead there is still a price barrier to entering the market.

the only reason people are not buying blu ray is simple - DVD is not dead by any means and not everyone has a TV that fully takes advantage of what blu ray puts out. people didn't really stop buying VHS tapes until they simply weren't made anymore. wal-mart stocks plenty of cheap blu ray players and the ps3 isn't all that expensive anymore. but content drives hardware sales, and when there is no exclusive content to blu-ray or ps3 that can't be had on DVD, thats what keeps people from justifying the upgrade. thats why you don't see scores of xbox 360 owners in line to buy a ps3. there is nothing compelling them to own both when all the content can be had on the other console. when studios stop supporting DVD the way they stopped supporting VHS and beta before those, you will see blu ray go on the rise. thats content driven, not price driven.

you may disagree with me, which is fine. but we're not even talking about video formats. we're talking air intakes.

you said the price was high compared to most intakes, which it is not. a K&N intake isn't going to be sub-200 dollars, guaranteed. will there be an F2 or F5 or simota or ractive kind of priced intake for a $30,000+ SUV? i can't say that there will be. whether or not you want to spend the money is a decision i can totally respect. but it is not high priced to compared other intakes on the market.

the only reason people are not buying blu ray is simple - DVD is not dead by any means and not everyone has a TV that fully takes advantage of what blu ray puts out. people didn't really stop buying VHS tapes until they simply weren't made anymore. wal-mart stocks plenty of cheap blu ray players and the ps3 isn't all that expensive anymore. but content drives hardware sales, and when there is no exclusive content to blu-ray or ps3 that can't be had on DVD, thats what keeps people from justifying the upgrade. thats why you don't see scores of xbox 360 owners in line to buy a ps3. there is nothing compelling them to own both when all the content can be had on the other console. when studios stop supporting DVD the way they stopped supporting VHS and beta before those, you will see blu ray go on the rise. thats content driven, not price driven.

you may disagree with me, which is fine. but we're not even talking about video formats. we're talking air intakes.

you said the price was high compared to most intakes, which it is not. a K&N intake isn't going to be sub-200 dollars, guaranteed. will there be an F2 or F5 or simota or ractive kind of priced intake for a $30,000+ SUV? i can't say that there will be. whether or not you want to spend the money is a decision i can totally respect. but it is not high priced to compared other intakes on the market.

Fair enough. Looking forward to hearing of peoples experiences.

It's nice to see that there are mods coming out for CX-9. However, on my other rides, when mod'ing, it was always prudent to work from 'back' of car to front. This is based on a rwh drive car, but can still follow for AWD.

I would be looking at exhaust 1st? is there any preferred model that anyone has done yet?

2nd. gearing - anyone go with taller gears? again, not too sure how to work this idea with a fwd/awd setup

3rd. headers? JBA has custom bent for us already?

4th. CAI

5th. re-tune

6th. wife leaves you for huge waste of money : )

I know also that valves/cams should be in there also...but have no idea what grind/etc...

Something bugs me about that picture. First, if they had a "cnc mandrel bender" they could make the whole thing out of one piece, not 4 all welded together.

I've actually made pipes like this in my garage doing what they appear to be doing just by buying pipe in a variety of angles and cutting/welding them together to fit the application.

The name of the thread is PG WEAPON R COLD AIR INTAKE. So NO, it does not draw the warm air from the engine bay into the intake.

Yes, becuase all product claims on the internet are accurate and truthful.

I fail to see how a CAI like this can be any colder than the stock solution which does not flow as well, certainly, but will pull cold air directly from the outside:

http://www.roadfly.com/new-cars/wp-...-mazda-cx-9-first-drive/mazda-cx-9-engine.jpg

I don't think a big cone filter inside the engine bay, regardless of placement, will draw colder air than a scoop exposed directly to outside air.

IMHO YMMV. I've alwasy be skeptical of the claims of meaningful power gains from simple intake mods. Dyno charts at the minimum are needed before I blow $270 on a tube, air filter and mounting hardware that looks like it's sourced from Home Depot.

Back