Pep Boys - 2016 CX-5 oil change

Greetings....looking for advice please on oil change for a 2016 Grand Touring, 35,000 miles - is there a special oil (full synthetic, brand?) and oil filter I should request? I've not had an oil change in about 15,000 miles. I'm having the oil change done at my local Pep Boys. I installed a new engine filter myself a few days ago.

Also, I'm having a set of Continental CROSS CONTACT LX25 225/55R19 tires fitted by Pep Boys (ordered on Amazon $200 each) - anything I should keep an eye out for when they're installing them? I still have the original Toro OEMs which have been the harshest ride I've ever known on any car I've ever driven so defo looking forward to the Continentals.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have to believe that the OP is pulling out legs :) How many years did it take to get 15K for the oil change? My car is almost 4 years old and doesn't have 15K. And why on earth would he change the oil filter that will have to be changed?
Years? Many of us drive 10-15k a year. I'd say not even putting 15k on a car after 4 years is equivalent to not driving. 😛

Upvote 0
The problem I have with mass market "oil change" shops is that nearly none of them use appropriate oil filters for the various vehicles. Think about it: for all of the dozens of makes, and hundreds of models, there really is no way to carry every possible oil filter SKU.

Lucky for them, but very, very unlucky for us, almost all vehicles use one of just a few thread sizes on their filters. What they do is buy mass quantities of the same filter, and so long as it threads up and tightens down, then that's what you get.

Maybe. What evidence do you have for this statement?

Upvote 0
Talking to a couple guys that worked there, and also fighting with them when, even after I *specifically* requested a non-generic filter, they still did it anyway.

And really, if you think about it, it makes total sense.

On that fight I had with them, I had an 85 Camaro that was fast. We even used to race it in the 1/8th mile at the local drag strip. I was living in an apartment at the time, and working on your cars, even stuff as simple as an oil change, was verboten. So I took it to Grease Monkey.

When I walked in there, I explained that this was not the run-of-the-mill Camaro. This had a special built engine, with a specific oil and oil filter requirement. They agreed, and pulled it in.
When I got the car back, I looked down at the filter, and there was this little rinky-dink thing on there, and they told me they looked it up, and that's all they had that would fit. They also gave me cheap bulk oil.

MY BRAIN BLEW A F*****G GASKET. I cannot tell you just how pissed I was. I told them to put my old filter next to the new, and they could see for themselves they dun goofed. They couldn't have cared less.

I took it up to the Chevy dealer, (it was only $5 more for the oil change by the way), and those guys hooked me up with the right oil and filter.

And oh yeah, fast forward 20 years, I bought my son a 94 F150 4x4 with a 351 for his first car. It had a Jiffy Lube sticker on the windshield, and when we went to change the oil, the filter that was on there was about the size of a pea. The correct Motorcraft filter is friggin HUGE. But, that little pea physically screwed on, so that's what those dumb bastards used.

Upvote 0
I have three cars and drive all of them regularly in a random rotatation. My total mileage per year between the three is 10-12k est. (small island), so my oil changes for each are basically 5000mi or 1yr, whichever comes 1st. Recommend OP do the same.

I was also thinking to advise OP to use Amsoil Signature if doing 15K/2.5yr OCI to at least give his engine a fighting chance, however as previously mentioned, seems to have been frightened off, lol.

Upvote 0
Talking to a couple guys that worked there, and also fighting with them when, even after I *specifically* requested a non-generic filter, they still did it anyway.

And really, if you think about it, it makes total sense.

On that fight I had with them, I had an 85 Camaro that was fast. We even used to race it in the 1/8th mile at the local drag strip. I was living in an apartment at the time, and working on your cars, even stuff as simple as an oil change, was verboten. So I took it to Grease Monkey.

When I walked in there, I explained that this was not the run-of-the-mill Camaro. This had a special built engine, with a specific oil and oil filter requirement. They agreed, and pulled it in.
When I got the car back, I looked down at the filter, and there was this little rinky-dink thing on there, and they told me they looked it up, and that's all they had that would fit. They also gave me cheap bulk oil.

MY BRAIN BLEW A F*****G GASKET. I cannot tell you just how pissed I was. I told them to put my old filter next to the new, and they could see for themselves they dun goofed. They couldn't have cared less.

I took it up to the Chevy dealer, (it was only $5 more for the oil change by the way), and those guys hooked me up with the right oil and filter.

And oh yeah, fast forward 20 years, I bought my son a 94 F150 4x4 with a 351 for his first car. It had a Jiffy Lube sticker on the windshield, and when we went to change the oil, the filter that was on there was about the size of a pea. The correct Motorcraft filter is friggin HUGE. But, that little pea physically screwed on, so that's what those dumb bastards used.
See crap like that is why I don't trust anyone to do simple things like changing my oil. Learning how to do stuff like that myself has been great.

Upvote 0
Before getting my 2016 CX3 in 2015, I had a 1992 MX3 1.6L and changed the oil & filter once a year til I traded-in in 2015. Yes, MX3 was traded-in and sold within a week it was well maintained and didn't need any oil to be added for the whole year. The MX3 had 383,000Km and had it for 22.75 years averaged about 16,835 Km/year or 10,500 miles/year over 80% city traffic driving. I only did 22 oil changes for the life of the car. At 300,000Km the 2nd time valve cover gasket needed replacing and the internal cam looked like new and brother didn't believe it till he saw it! See Photos Attached.

Oil: 4x Amsoil 5W30 Engine Oil
Filter: Amsoil EaO20 Filter

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 98