Painted Roof Rails

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Painted black, I think would go well with any color car. Super easy mod to remove rails, paint, and re-install. It's almost not even worth the time to instruct -

Remove Rail screw covers - place paper clip in the spring covers
Unscrew
Remove
Maybe sand
Rattle can primer/paint of choice - Can't really go wrong with rustoleum at HD
Perform 1st three steps in reverse order

Black Roof Rails 1.jpg
Black Roof Rails 2.jpg

I bought a CX 5 roof rail/crossbar package on ebay. Rails are silver, crossbars are black. I'm going to scuff the silver paint with a 3M scuff pad and gel, but would like to remove the rubber gasket that runs the length of the rail bottom before painting them black. It looks like they should pop off just wanted to know if anyone has done this and any correct way to pop them off.

PXL_20211028_222610453.jpg

I thnk I tried that but there was something still holding it together so I just masked around it

I bought a CX 5 roof rail/crossbar package on ebay. Rails are silver, crossbars are black. I'm going to scuff the silver paint with a 3M scuff pad and gel, but would like to remove the rubber gasket that runs the length of the rail bottom before painting them black. It looks like they should pop off just wanted to know if anyone has done this and any correct way to pop them off.

View attachment 304235
Waiting on my roof rails...in transit.

Did anyone get the rubber gasket seal separated?

What color black did you use to match the rack and car trim?

They really should have anodized these black at the factory. Most people don't want silver.

Gonna just scuff em up enough for the paint to adhere.

Roof rails and rack should be here soon.

Want to spray black.

Am assuming the OEM are painted silver and not chromed. Anyone who has them know for sure whether chromed?

Plan to scuff and paint.

Also what paint is everyone using to match the existing trim? Any particular brand and color which matches best?

It seems like Mazda used silver chrome on hockey stick. A flat black on the upper trim and semigloss/gloss on the window side trim. Makes it difficult to decide what color to paint the rails.

Last edited:
I just used rustoleum, but I just bought this for something else, Has real nice small fan pattern and lays down real nice, IMO

I just used rustoleum, but I just bought this for something else, Has real nice small fan pattern and lays down real nice, IMO

Thanks Hal. That Glidden looks good for some outdoor projects like metal lawn chairs and stuff that needs repainted.

Was debating on painting the rails between a semigloss and satin blacks to match the crossbars. But the autoguy at one of the stores showed me a new product call duplicolor black chrome. No sanding or scuffing, just apply a prep spray, then a few coats of black chrome then a sealer/clear coat.

Don't have to worry about hazardous chrome dust getting all over the place.

Might try it and see what happens. Just need to figure out how many coats. More coats means darker chrome color. Thinking three(3) coats so it's nice and dark.

Last edited:
Had my rails recently powder coated gloss black. The chromed endcaps I had to paint with a regular spray can gloss black as they are plastic and not metal so they could not be powder coated. Then i will hit the end caps with a 2k clear coat for some good durability. Then to see about installing them. Went with gloss black since I have a 22 turbo model so the wheels and trim are all gloss black.

Had my rails recently powder coated gloss black. The chromed endcaps I had to paint with a regular spray can gloss black as they are plastic and not metal so they could not be powder coated. Then i will hit the end caps with a 2k clear coat for some good durability. Then to see about installing them. Went with gloss black since I have a 22 turbo model so the wheels and trim are all gloss black.
Were you able to get the gasket off without damage before you had them powder coated ?

Yes. It just comes off by carefully pulling on the plastic push things in the pic that hold the gasket to the rails.

Attachments

• 16569769191914161655007629592248.jpg
    16569769191914161655007629592248.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 76
Report of Duplicolor Black out chrome.

Local auto-store was out of stock of pushpin removal tools. Rather than remove gaskets, chose to mask off with tape. Tape doesn't adhere well to the gasket. Big PITA.
For anyone repainting, remove the gaskets.

Taped up everything and painted the rails with Duplicolor black chrome. Took like 10 coats plus 4 coats clear-coat to get blackout. Two spray kits and prep foam spray at total price $100

Problems:
1st kit nozzle or paint malfunction. The paint is see through translucent so ended up with black paint splotches all over.
Should of tested on cardboard first and returned defective can.
However was already started so had to continue.

2nd kit worked well and covered up splotches the more coats applied.

Problem: used same process and coats but the inside rails came out less dark than the outside/tops of the rails. Paint might not have adhered as well.
Should barely see inside of rails once attached. Hoping blends in well enough. Regardless, should still look better than silver chrome.
Will be installing later in week to see how they look. Backup is to buy Amazon black roof rails.

If had to do over again, would either:
1. order the Mazda rail and rack and have the rails professionally painted. Way less hassle for better appearance.
2. Order the combo black roof and rail kit from Amazon. Install the Amazon black rail kit. Throw out the Amazon crossbar rack(as reports of these bending and breaking)
Buy Mazda black crossbar rack and install that on the Amazon rails.
*There were no reports of Amazon roof rails breaking, only the crossbars.

Either of the above may cost a little more but be less hassle and time for better outcome.

Back