Paint chips & bubbles on roof

:
Nova Scotia
:
2016.5 CX-5
So while washing my car the other day, I noticed while wiping it down that there were a couple chips/bubbles beginning to form in the paint along the roof. A little annoyed that I didn't notice this earlier but at this point I'm looking for a fix and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to tackle this?

At the moment I just have a touch up pen that they gave us with the car which doesn't really work that well to begin with. I'm not sure if Dr Colorchip would work for something like this? I'm guessing I'd have to do a bit of prep underneath the paint beforehand.

Given it's the roof, I'm not look for an immaculate finish right now. I'm most concerned with sealing up the area to prevent further damage, but I would like to blend it as well as possible.

From the picture I have attached:

Top right - 2 chips in the paint and 1 bubble beginning to form, the bubble is maybe 2mm
Bottom right - Similar to above, would say the bubbles in paint are of comparable size.
Left - This is the one I'm more concern about, as that affected area is the largest of the group. While that bigger bubble in the middle is only about 3mm across, it's all the smaller ones around it that concern me about it.

Attachments

• rust bubbles.JPG
    rust bubbles.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 389
looks like rust, if there is rust you will need to sand down to bare metal to get rid of the rust and use primer and a topcoat. You might want to consider having it repaired by a body shop.

Best to get it repaired asap as it will spread fast.

Last edited:
Check with your dealer and/or Mazda. If this is on the roof that smacks of bad paint from the factory. They may cover it under the rust warranty.

Check with your dealer and/or Mazda. If this is on the roof that smacks of bad paint from the factory. They may cover it under the rust warranty.

I'll second this. Check with your dealer, they may goodwill the repair. I know in Canada, we have anti-perforation coverage built into the factory warranty, but I believe it only applies if the rust has actually eaten through the metal. Surface rust and bubbles would not qualify for coverage.

Most likely your CX5 is out of warranty. So this is not something the dealer will entertain. You can kick this up to Mazda Corporate and see. If your dealer is good he might work with you.

Most likely your CX5 is out of warranty. So this is not something the dealer will entertain. You can kick this up to Mazda Corporate and see. If your dealer is good he might work with you.

The rust warranty is 5yr/unlimited mileage, so it could well still be in force. I know this is not rust perforation in the OP's case, but Mazda might well cover it under goodwill.

From the 2016 CX-5 brochure I found online:

WE’RE COMMITTED TO OUR DRIVERS. Every new 2016 Mazda CX-5 is protected by:
— 3-year/36,000-mile1 New-Vehicle Limited Warranty
— 3-year/36,000-mile1 24/7 Emergency Roadside Assistance program
— 5-year/60,000-mile1 Powertrain Limited Warranty
— 5-year/unlimited-mileage warranty against body rust-through (Anti-perforation Limited Warranty)

Happened to me on my '14 CX5. Filed a claim with the insurance under comp and got my roof repainted. It only cost me my $50 deductible

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We've owned the car for about 40 months now so we're just outside the 3 years.

That's good advice about checking with the dealer so I'll give that a try and see what they say about this. If they decline it, then I'll probably check with a body shop to get a quote.

The rust warranty is 5yr/unlimited mileage, so it could well still be in force. I know this is not rust perforation in the OP's case, but Mazda might well cover it under goodwill.

From the 2016 CX-5 brochure I found online:

WE’RE COMMITTED TO OUR DRIVERS. Every new 2016 Mazda CX-5 is protected by:
— 3-year/36,000-mile1 New-Vehicle Limited Warranty
— 3-year/36,000-mile1 24/7 Emergency Roadside Assistance program
— 5-year/60,000-mile1 Powertrain Limited Warranty
— 5-year/unlimited-mileage warranty against body rust-through (Anti-perforation Limited Warranty)
I went the dealer route while under warranty, took it as far as a factory rep, they wouldn't do it. They're the ones that recommended filing a claim under my insurance. If there already are perforations in the paint, they'll most likely reject it.

Mazda warranty claims really depend on dealer and how good they are. We have members who had like 5-6 warranty stuff done before the 3 year mark thanks to a good dealer. There are others who cant get a simple thing done. Here was my conversation with Mazda corporate - Go to dealer A and go to Dealer B then see what their opinion is on a Rear Brake TSB. At this point I was already with dealer A for many times.
I feel Mazda's warranty payments are pretty bad (KIa Hyundai) and only few volume dealers can afford doing it when they have economy of numbers on their side - too many bays.

Found something very similar on my wife’s 16 during the fall detail. It was between the windshield and sunroof so I assumed it was a small rock chip that was deep enough to start rusting. Seeing this I’m now wondering if it was a factory defect.

I scrapped/sanded and filled with OEM touch up paint. Doesn’t look amazing. I plan on wet sanding and applying more touch up in the spring.

The white touch up has some yellow to it which is disappointing.

Back