P5 subwoofer

bikemd

Hi, I have read some of the reviews regarding the quality of the P5 subwoofer....yup, looks marginal, but I think I am going to get one for space issues. I was wondering if anyone knows 1) About the installation?....easy?....complex? 2) If the unit only works with the OEM head unit or will it work with any head unit (I have an Alpine 9856)? Any input would be fantastic......Thanks in advance!

bikemd said:
Hi, I have read some of the reviews regarding the quality of the P5 subwoofer....yup, looks marginal, but I think I am going to get one for space issues. I was wondering if anyone knows 1) About the installation?....easy?....complex? 2) If the unit only works with the OEM head unit or will it work with any head unit (I have an Alpine 9856)? Any input would be fantastic......Thanks in advance!

Installation is simple, the subwoofer connects to the rear speakers, and just apply power to it. And yes it should work with any aftermarket stereos.

I personally love mine. Just the right amount of low end I need. I've had elaborate systems in about 5 other cars that I've owned. One of the reasons I choose the P5 was for it's hatch space. I also listen to just about everything, and even with some hardcore trance my mirrors and rear license plate shake.

Though my project quiet helps as well. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89390

edit: Forgot to mention that all of my door speakers are upgraded.

Last edited:
is there a plug for it already if you've got the stock unmolested system in an 02.0?

FastPro22 said:
Installation is simple, the subwoofer connects to the rear speakers, and just apply power to it. And yes it should work with any aftermarket stereos.
Stupid question........how does it connect to the rear seakers? Is there factory pre-wiring for this connection or do you have to take a part the rear doors, splice into the existing wiring etc....? Also, is there factory wiring for the power to the sub? I have little to no experience with car stereos although I just installed the head unit and four speakers a la Crutchfield in my P5. Any details greatly appreciated. Thanks

Think of a $40 set of PC speakers with a subwoofer... it's like that. It adds something. I think you get a little extra due to cabin gain.

In my case, I'm not using it. I put in ED's 6.5" subwoofers (Eu-700) in my rear doors and have ED's 6500 eDi component set upfront. Very very nice for the money (a little less than $600 with cheap amps), and it's all stealth. I just can't store stuff under my seats... and I never do. Oh, and the doors rattle like s*** if I really try to use them. I definitely need to sound-deaden my doors.

Otherwise, check out caraudioforum.com, they have quite a few threads on stealth installs and subwoofers. You can always go with Infinite BassLink, which is a portable subwoofer that works very well, but costs a little ($200). Well worth the money compared to the "toy" sub in the P5 though.

Stock audio sucks. Period. I find the P5 stock system to be one of the worst I have ever experienced, and I can't imagine that the sub would add anything to the overall performance. I can't wait to install new gear in that car and get some tunes properly played.

I'm bummed by the lack of options when it comes to mounting amps and such. My CD changer isn't even going to be an option in this ride by the time I install my mono sub amp and multi channel for the doors.

Last edited:
i must agree with tasty, the stock system really blows. 15 watts to each door speaker....oooo impressive. ive got 2 700 watt 12" M.A. Audio Competition subs in my truck, bein drivin by a 980 watt amp (im gettin a 1440 eventually) and thats more than enough bass for that car (im waiting for the spoiler to just fall off). im lookin at an alpine cda-9857 head unit, and im gettin all new door speakers. and im adding some tweeters into the mix. what i think i hated most about the stock system before the subs was that there was no bass channelling. all the bass went to every door speaker (rather than to the rear ones) and you couldnt hear the words to songs or anything. im glad that my line invertor took all the bass from the doors

bikemd said:
Stupid question........how does it connect to the rear seakers? Is there factory pre-wiring for this connection or do you have to take a part the rear doors, splice into the existing wiring etc....? Also, is there factory wiring for the power to the sub? I have little to no experience with car stereos although I just installed the head unit and four speakers a la Crutchfield in my P5. Any details greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think if your car did not orginally come with the factory subwoofer, it won't be prewired for the sub. So you have to splice into the existing rear door speaker wires. And for the power you have to run down some power wires from the back to the front. Hope this helps.

Guys....

the "For space reasons" is a stupid way to justify this subwoofer. The unit alone takes up little space but in order to install it you have to flip the spare tire around and raise the floor about 3-4". This will eat up several cubic feet of cargo space. Plus, the sub will be under the false floor.

If you are worried about taking up space, consider a single 8" subwoofer in a sealed box. Most 8"s only require about 0.35 cuft. That is roughly equivalent to a box that is 12"x9"x9" made out of 3/4" MDF. Put quick-disconnects on the box and add some velcro to the bottom and you can remove it whenever you need the extra space. It will hit 10 times harder than the factory sub.

Plus you can get a brand new Q-logic 7' sealed box on ebay for $35 shipped. Thats what I did & re-used my MSP sub when I upgraded that stereo

Also a great way to put a sub in without sacrificing space is in the jack compartment like many have done. I also find it looks really good.

SNike05 said:
Also a great way to put a sub in without sacrificing space is in the jack compartment like many have done. I also find it looks really good.

Any pics of this? I tried to evaluate that spot for my CD changer, and it was just too small. I don't see how a sub could properly fit in there and perform well.

I have no idea who these cars belong to but they were saved like 1.5+ years ago. I've seen others as well.

Attachments

• Fitting a sub in the jack stand place.jpg
    Fitting a sub in the jack stand place.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 270727_38_full.jpg
    270727_38_full.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
An infinity basslink is good for retaining your cargo space too. If I ever needed to I could remove it without too much trouble. I planned on making a quick disconnect harness for it, but I haven't had the need to remove it yet. I even hauled a twin matress and 36" tv at the same time in the P5 with the subwoofer from Buffalo to Rochester (an hour on the highway).

oh our small but cavernous cars.

Back