Oops. 2016 Electric Parking Brake actuator motor crushed...A little

This is painful to write, as I explain my stupidty... As others have done, I was hurrying and didn't realize I needed to do the whole EPB maintenance mode while doing the rear pads. 2016 CX-5. I actually was able to compress the driver side piston enough, with a C-clamp, to get it back on, but it sure took a long time! Then doing the right side, I just couldn't get it compressed enough and finally realized I had done exactly what I was worried about doing, which was kind of crushed/cracked the top of the EPB actuator black plastic cover, where I stupidly put the clamp, knowing it was plastic, but hoping it was strong enough (it wasn't). I then finally got on youtube and found out about the maintenance mode, came back, did that, and it sure made compressing that piston a lot easier! I put it all together, and took it for a test drive. Seems to work fine. Car stops. Emergency brake works, and releases. So a couple questions:
- when I was compressing the pistons, I'm not positive they didn't spin a little (didn't quite see that detail till later too...). So 1st question is, what happens if the slots aren't in the 3, 6, 9, 12 position? Would it be obvious it was screwed up? Would it still work for awhile till it didn't, maybe catastrophically? Should I take it all back apart to make sure they're properly oriented?
- The EPB seems to work fine, but I definitely cracked the plastic most of the way around the circle at the top (actually the face toward the middle of the car when mounted) of the actuator. I feel like I should probably replace those actuators, and found them on Amazon. There seems to be a couple cables running to them - and I cannot find anything, anywhere on how to remove/replace them? Is it just unplug the cables and unscrew something and put it back on, or can someone point me to where I can find the procedure, please?

This is painful to write, as I explain my stupidty... As others have done, I was hurrying and didn't realize I needed to do the whole EPB maintenance mode while doing the rear pads. 2016 CX-5. I actually was able to compress the driver side piston enough, with a C-clamp, to get it back on, but it sure took a long time! Then doing the right side, I just couldn't get it compressed enough and finally realized I had done exactly what I was worried about doing, which was kind of crushed/cracked the top of the EPB actuator black plastic cover, where I stupidly put the clamp, knowing it was plastic, but hoping it was strong enough (it wasn't). I then finally got on youtube and found out about the maintenance mode, came back, did that, and it sure made compressing that piston a lot easier! I put it all together, and took it for a test drive. Seems to work fine. Car stops. Emergency brake works, and releases. So a couple questions:
- when I was compressing the pistons, I'm not positive they didn't spin a little (didn't quite see that detail till later too...). So 1st question is, what happens if the slots aren't in the 3, 6, 9, 12 position? Would it be obvious it was screwed up? Would it still work for awhile till it didn't, maybe catastrophically? Should I take it all back apart to make sure they're properly oriented?
- The EPB seems to work fine, but I definitely cracked the plastic most of the way around the circle at the top (actually the face toward the middle of the car when mounted) of the actuator. I feel like I should probably replace those actuators, and found them on Amazon. There seems to be a couple cables running to them - and I cannot find anything, anywhere on how to remove/replace them? Is it just unplug the cables and unscrew something and put it back on, or can someone point me to where I can find the procedure, please?
They unbolt off the caliper and are quite straight forward. I’ll have the instructions at home but can’t get them to you before weekend because I live in the uk but currently in Florida. If you didn’t line the pin in a slot, it won’t adjust properly because the pin stops the whole piston turning but your going to have to have it bits again. Turn the piston carefully back to the first alignment. If they’re only cracked and not broken open, you could try thoroughly cleaning then silicone sealer until such a time you prove they’re working ok. You don’t want to buy motors then find the whole thing has failed. You might need complete calipers with motors. The motors come off to give you access to a manual deadjuster in case the battery fails, you can move the car.

I run the uk CX5 owners club and there’s a whole raft of files in there including some on the epb. You can have a read until I get the proper one. Example

4E003BE6-F885-4A05-8903-ED8D84C41E90.png

You might want to check and see if the pads are now dragging. Take your car out somewhere safe and get up to speed, then without touching the brakes coast to a stop. Now get out and check the temps of the rear rotors. If you have an instant read inferred thermometer, use that, if not give em a quick touch with your finger. You may want to compare the rear temps with the fronts. If the rears are hot as hell, you have your answer.

You might want to check and see if the pads are now dragging. Take your car out somewhere safe and get up to speed, then without touching the brakes coast to a stop. Now get out and check the temps of the rear rotors. If you have an instant read inferred thermometer, use that, if not give em a quick touch with your finger. You may want to compare the rear temps with the fronts. If the rears are hot as hell, you have your answer.
Agree with everything above except... Don't touch em. One of the quickest ways to burn yourself.

You'll be able to feel the heat emanating off them without touching them.

Ok then, lick your finger before touching the rotor, if it sizzles, it's hot!
Lol. At 400% Fahrenheit, it'll still cook your finger. Problem with human nervous system, is by the time you realize it's hot, your already cooked.

A long long time ago, younger and stupider, i got burnt on the tire rims from a caliper that had locked up. Lesson learned. No way I'd touch the actual rotor.

Back