Oil Treatment charge, Canadian Dealership, CX-5 Turbo

I had a dealer try to sell me the same stuff in Gatineau a while back. However they were at least asking if I wanted it, not just doing the work. (Even claiming bulls*** that it would provide a warranty on the engine if I added it, without any documentation of course).

Bottom line is if they do work that you don’t request, they have to reimburse it. It is harder after the fact, but it still is your right. If you paid by credit card you can tell them you will ask the credit card to reverse the charge, and will repay them when they provide an accurate invoice of the service requested.

These treatment by the dealers make me laugh, if I really wanted a fuel additive, I would go buy it at Canadian tire and pour it myself.

BG280 fuel treatment : BG Fuel System Drier absorbs moisture in the fuel system, holding it in suspension until it can be burned up by the engine.
Oh so instead of going through the engine in trace amounts, it will go through in one big glob. That has to be better, right?

It's also probably just a coincidence that they are all from the same brand.

Oh so instead of going through the engine in trace amounts, it will go through in one big glob. That has to be better, right?

It's also probably just a coincidence that they are all from the same brand.
As opposed to pooling at the bottom of the tank?

You were worried about it being in suspension due to the ethanol. That is the purpose of the ethanol, mix with the water so it can be burned and not collect at the bottom of the tank.
You are stating what happens if it happens. No debate there.

I'm asking does it actually happen or will the average daily driver ever encounter this issue. Because otherwise this additive seems like a solution in search of a problem.

You are stating what happens if it happens. No debate there.

I'm asking does it actually happen or will the average daily driver ever encounter this issue. Because otherwise this additive seems like a solution in search of a problem.
I climates such as the upper Mid-West is does happen with cars not driven often and not stored in a garage mostly due to condensation. Once ethanol was added to our everyday gasoline the issue has all but disappeared. If you are someone who uses ethanol-free gas, it can still be an issue. So, for most drivers you are correct, it is a solution looking for a problem. Stay away from sketchy gas stations as many of those will have a significant amount of water at the bottom of their tanks which get stirred-up during fuel delivery.

I used to work for a company that made leak detection systems for fuel storage tanks. These systems monitored for fuel leaking out and water leaking in.

Back