Oil change intervals?

Toller

:
2014 CX9 Touring
I just got a new CX9. The dealer says that living in the Northeast automatically qualifies for rough conditions and a 5,000 mile interval between oil changes, rather than the 7,500 mile interval.
Yeah, we have cold weather and salt, but doesn't half the country?

Whatcha think; is the dealer being helpful, or looking for additional visits.

Sounds like fishing for work.... If you use a good quality synthetic oil 7,500 with normal driving should be no problem at all. Either that or use the 6 month interval called for while you are under warranty.

I agree--I've never heard of that being "rough" conditions. Find another mechanic. Better yet, call Mazda corporate and rat them out.

According to Mazda, your dealer is correct:

Follow Schedule 1 (7,500 miles interval) if the vehicle is operated mainly where none of the following conditions
apply.
l Repeated short-distance driving
l Driving in dusty conditions
l Driving with extended use of brakes
l Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used
l Driving on rough or muddy roads
l Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
l Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
l Driving in extremely hot conditions
l Driving in mountainous conditions continually
If any do apply, follow Schedule 2 (Canada and Puerto Rico residents follow Schedule 2).
NOTE
After the prescribed period, continue to follow the described maintenance at the recommended
intervals.
Maintenance and Care
Scheduled Maintenance

Anywhere in ny you use the severe schedule. I live in nyc and even though i don't drive much at all i still use the severe schedule.

It is simple "automotive mechanics", if you bought the Maintenance Plan then the oil change visits should be less frequent, if you didn't buy the Maintenance Plan then them oil visits should be more often. In this comment, automotive = dealership.

How you use it, not where you live, dictates the frequency. Since 5000 miles I have run 5w 20 synthetic, and a GOOD oil filter (Personally I like K&N oil filters). I always run the vehicle 7500 miles. I live in San Antonio, which is the 7th largest city in the USA (believe it or not) and we spend more than our share of time in parking lots that used to be highways!! Because I can, I like to change my own when I do, I post it on "My Mazda" on their web site.

I like to change my oil at 5k intervals. I'm in the Northeast as well although like drchuck said, it's really a matter of your driving conditions. Also, with both my Mazdas they are using the synthetic blend so I'll just stick to 5k for safety measures.

I used to own an Audi and a lot of the guys were pretty anal with care of their cars (I am guilty of it too although not as much these days). If you really want to see how things are doing, you can send out for an oil analysis. It's really interesting how the lab folks can tell how your engine is doing. It's a cool car blood test if you will.

The lab used was:

Blackstone Labs

They were able to suggest a good oil change interval for those that really wanted to see how far they could stretch things. In total they could tell how worn the engine is and if there are any symptoms of major issues on the horizon. It was pretty geeky cool stuff.

Toller,
You will be fine with 7,500 mile interval (or every 6 months. Whatever comes first). I was fallowing such interval with my previously owned SUV (2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I'm following this with my currently own CX9. I had no issues whatsoever with the engine throughout the years I had my Jeep.

Edit: And BTW - I was always using standard/mineral (not synthetic blends, or fully synthetic) oil. My preference was (and still is) Castrol GTX High Mileage.

Last edited:
Back