Oil Change Due light at 2,500 miles?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Oil Change Due light came on before 2500 miles on my car. Did I miss something in the manual about the 1st oil change? Or is it maybe because I've had the car for almost 10 months? Oh, and I'm in Phoenix so that temp on my dash is right - it's 63 at 7pm, hehe, sorry all

PXL_20210219_014655639.jpg

Oil Change Due light came on before 2500 miles on my car. Did I miss something in the manual about the 1st oil change? Or is it maybe because I've had the car for almost 10 months? Oh, and I'm in Phoenix so that temp on my dash is right - it's 63 at 7pm, hehe, sorry all

View attachment 295524
Well, it took about a month to ship the CX-5 to a port of USA from Japan, another couple of weeks to get it to the Mazda dealer. The car might have been sitting in the dealer’s lot for another month. And you have been having your CX-5 for almost 10 months, this means the oil life from factory is about 12 months now since your CX-5 been assembled. The Flexible oil change schedule is UP to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. That’s why you get wrench indicator and “Oil change due” message.

Go to Maintenance Monitor from infotainment screen and check the Flexible oil change schedule to see the current status.

Upvote 0
But should I need to be changing it at 2500 miles driven? I normally change it myself, and actually enjoy the activity on a Saturday morning of crawling underneath and seeing that everything on my car is in good shape. But I would probably use my dealers offer of a free change for my first maintenance.

Upvote 0
But should I need to be changing it at 2500 miles driven? I normally change it myself, and actually enjoy the activity on a Saturday morning of crawling underneath and seeing that everything on my car is in good shape. But I would probably use my dealers offer of a free change for my first maintenance.
If I were you, I’d do the oil change even though the CX-5 has been driven only 2,534 miles. Not for the reason many believe doing the first oil change early on miles, but the time duration of oil life which is approaching 12 months. By doing this, the warranty will be intact too.

If you enjoy DIY, you should do the first oil change by yourself. I usually would like to see what kind of oil filter from factory, and check out the condition of factory fill on engine oil and may do a UOA. Besides, chances are the dealer could screw up something even on a simply oil change. The Toyota dealer screwed up the factory-offered free oil change on my 2018 Yaris iA (Mazda2) and the oil was leaking out from drain plug during a road trip right after. The oil was over-filled as usual, which actually saved the engine as it required 2 quarts to bring the oil level up above the minimum mark at my destination.

Upvote 0
No, just reset the notification and change it when you reach 5,000 miles or 1 year of driving, whichever comes first.

Upvote 0
Changing oil at a specified mileage interval OR a specified calendar time interval (typically a year) is pretty much standard across the board with all cars and technically is a requirement for warranty, While oil doesn’t really deteriorate sitting in the crankcase, low vehicle utilization often means short trips without sufficient time to have oil vaporize excess gas and other combustion byproducts so oil may progressively become contaminated (and more corrosive) to the point where it needs changing, even with very low miles.

Anytime around a year calendar is fine. As mentioned, the clock in the maintenance system may have started ticking before you actually bought the car. The time between when the car was manufactured and when it was sold is, in many respects, exactly the adverse conditions a calendar requirement is designed to address..... lots of starts, very short trips (e.g. unloading car from ship and moving it around during transport).

Actually, I’m super impressed that a Mazda included a calendar-time tracking feature in their maintenance reminder system - most systems don’t. It gives me more confidence that the Mazda system is doing a good job recommending maintenance intervals that take into account more factors.

- Mark

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back