Oil Catch can still worth it at ~84K miles?

Peter B

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
Long time no post...

Just wondering if an oil catch can is still worth it? I have some 84K on my 2008.5 MS3, 90% of which is highway. I'm wondering if it's worth the $200 investment or if it's already damage done. I have taken good care of my MS3 so far. Mobil 1 or Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 ever 5k miles. 91 or 93 Octane fuel each fill. I have seafoamed it twice, probably due for another sometime soon. As I understand it, synthetic oil and high octane fuel help keep sludge out of your engine. Or am I wrong on that? So after 80k miles is it worth adding a catch can? The one that caught my eye was the one by Sure Motorsports. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the advise,

Pete

The catch can is fine any time. Just keeps vaporized oil from getting sucked into your intake system.

I would suggest pulling the Intake manifold and doing an Intake valve cleaning and EGR delete as well. All things to keep it clean. Also Rotella T6 is a full synthetic 5w-40 oil that most of the Mazdaspeed community uses and helps with smoking issue common to our cars.

Back