OEM Backup Cam with Aftermarket Stereo

RedBaron, Which wire did you use for the 12v/6V step down regulator? It is always on that source?
Did you use the Accessory Output(1A) for something?
What could we use it for?
On the high end Kenwood units, they have a wire harness that are used to control outside features, but I'm not familiar with these functions.
If I understand correctly, the connections to the Interface Connector, they all have to come from the Kenwood right?
I see illumination on both connectors, the interface connector and also on the vehicle connector too.
It seems, that the 3.5mm jack, it won't be used in our application, only the blue wire, am I right?
Why they couldn't make a diagram, I don't understand?

Last edited:
RedBaron, Which wire did you use for the 12v/6V step down regulator? It is always on that source?
On the high end Kenwood units, they have a wire harness that are used to control outside features, but I'm not familiar with these functions.
If I understand correctly, the connections to the Interface Connector, they all have to come from the Kenwood right?
I see illumination on both connectors, the interface connector and also on the vehicle connector too.
It seems, that the 3.5mm jack, it won't be used in our application, only the blue wire, am I right?

You would tap into the RED SWITCHED12v and black ground and run those to the step down.

For the cx-5 illumination comes from the interface. As it is controlled via the CAN bus. The wire on the vehicle harness is for other mazda vehicles.

For kenwood head units steering wheel controls are retained using the blue. The plug is not necessary.

Answers one-by-one. Also see my inter-connection spreadsheet (attached as zip)...

1) Which wire did you use for the 12v/6V step down regulator? -- I spliced into the ACC (Ignition) line from the car harness. Camera is on all the time when the car is running.
2) Did you use the Accessory Output(1A) for something? What could we use it for? -- I used it to feed the ACC wire on the head unit.
3) On the high end Kenwood units, they have a wire harness that are used to control outside features, but I'm not familiar with these functions. -- Me neither :)
4) If I understand correctly, the connections to the Interface Connector, they all have to come from the Kenwood right? -- A bit confused by the question, the interface connector plugs into the PAC unit. Some of the wires (not all) connect into the HU
5) I see illumination on both connectors, the interface connector and also on the vehicle connector too. -- It seems that both will work, but I used the one from the PAC and removed the other orange wire from the connector (or tape it off).
6) It seems, that the 3.5mm jack, it won't be used in our application, only the blue wire, am I right? -- Correct. I removed the jack wires from the connector

Also note, I found it took the PAC a while to 'learn' the car's LAN signals. The orange illumination and green reverse signals did not work right away. I thought my wiring was bad, or the PAC was faulty. But they did finally start to work after some time. Weird.

Attachments

• 20140320_085400_md.jpg
    20140320_085400_md.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 832
  • Interconnects.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
Thank you RedBaron.
There is no reverse signal somewhere to use that for the camera?
On the other hand, on Kenwood units if you hold down the NAV button for two seconds, the camera will show up on the screen. I hope that I remember correctly.

Thank you RedBaron.
There is no reverse signal somewhere to use that for the camera?
On the other hand, on Kenwood units if you hold down the NAV button for two seconds, the camera will show up on the screen. I hope that I remember correctly.
With mine, it's the TEL button. That's exactly why I have the camera powered all the time the car is running. The green lead is grounded when the camera is in reverse, but you'd have to use that and a relay to get power to the camera only when in reverse, and then there could be a delay as the camera powers up.

I have one of these, that I'm planning to use.
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Again...

I would not recommend getting the switching regulators that are also available, since they can give off a lot of electrical noise and interfere with the video and/or audio signals (e.g. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)).

But you could always try it and see. Then if the video (or audio) is poor/noisy, change the power supply.

I already had this laying around, so I will give it a try. Maybe I will try to add a capacitor at the output.

the is the stepdown I used and it worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Installed my AVH-4000NEX today. Got that same adapter, but the backup cam isn't working. I just see a solid black screen with the warning text on it. I tested the adapter with a multimeter to check for continuity and the black/yellow (negative) wires tested ok, and i got a beep, but the red (positive) wires I didn't get a beep, though I did still get a reading. Does that mean the adapter is bad? I also just tried feeding the factory camera harness 12V but still didn't get a picture. Any ideas?

Also I've noticed that the backup camera doesn't trigger everytime I put the car in reverse. Only sometimes. I'm also waiting for my parking brake bypass to arrive, so currently I don't have the parking brake wire hooked up to anything, but I don't think that's the problem. Though it does lock me out from accessing a lot of the menu options as they are greyed out.

On Kenwood, the parking brake wire has to be connected to ground, for the DVD to play for example. No need to buy any bypass device. I don't know, how it is with Pioneer though.
It seems like, you are having problem getting the video signal, which could be that wire causing it, since it's not connected.

Wow don't I feel like an idiot, I got the issues resolved. Turns out after all my testing of wires and so on, the problem was I plugged the pins into the wrong spot on the connector. There are 4 larger openings above the smaller ones, and I didn't realize I was plugging into the wrong ones. Once I plugged it into the small ones the backup cam worked. The cam still wasn't coming up when the car was shifted into reverse though, so I checked the wires for continuity on the pioneer and RP4 harness and got a signal. Since I disconnected the harness, it reset the radio. Once i turned it back on though, it worked. Now when I put the car in reverse the cam shows up and disappears after i put the car in drive. Now all I need is my bypass so I can access the menu settings and i'm all set

IMG_4802.jpg

Congrats jlcpremier! I don't know about you, but I did the happy dance when I got all of my backup cam issues resolved!

Dear all,

I've been planning to buy a Kenwood DDX5025DAB and to build into my 2013 CX-5 Revolution (which is the package with most/all of the extras offered by Mazda for the CX-5 here in Europe) My car has got both the Mazda backup camera and the rear (and front) parking radars.

When I put the car in reverse the "P" button below the AC will be automatically active and the backup cam screen will be displayed including the small radar symbols at the top right corner (see the attached pics) and the warning beeps. When I put in drive and press on the "P" button the screen will show a car symbol with the radar at each corner and the warning beeps if necessary. This screen will disappear and the "P" button deactivated as soon as I speed up the car. However, the "P" button can be activated/deactivated any time manually. Sorry for having described so detailed - I don't know whether you know this setup or not.

My question is if the Kenwood unit is in place and everything done as described here in the forum (excellent job btw) do I get the above described radar information on my camera screen (both in reverse and in drive) or not? I read somewhere that the OEM backup camera is responsible for merging the graphics (yellow, red and blue lines) into the screen before sending it to the head unit. I've got no information regarding the radar signals, though. Thanks for your help in advance.

20140713_092639.jpg

20140713_092951.jpg

20140713_092840.jpg

Last edited:
Back