OBD Issue - No power

I took my my 2016 CX-5 in to Autozone to replace the battery. The 'tech' plugged in their device to preserve the setting on the car and replaced the battery. However, none of my settings were saved and the check engine light came on. The tech said I should take it a mechanic to get it cleared. Most places here charge $45-$65 to plug in their OBD scanners so I bought my own. Three to be exact. Two were blue tooth and the final was hardwired. There is no power getting to the scanner. I cannot find any fuses associated with the OBD port.
I have read and searched older posts without a resolution.
Any suggestions? Do I take it to a dealer?
Many thanks

E6BDC5DF-E026-45A9-B112-BDC0EF5A46A4.jpeg

check voltage with a multimeter - on battery and ground first.
4 and 5 are grounds....16 is 12v
Should be constant even if vehicle is off.

If nothing the you have to retrace where it gets the power from. Most likely there should be a fuse connection somewhere.

If you dont feel up to the task the yes, dealer may help or any decent electrical engineer or auto shop that deals with electrics on cars.

Last edited:
For sure "Tech" blew F37 7.5A ENG +B fuse.
Sir, you ARE a life saver! I have a 2018 CX-5 - I used a battery saver in the OBD2 port when swapping in a new battery, and I could NOT find the blown fuse. But you were exactly right! Many, MANY thanks!

Dude, you are a life saver. The dealer wouldn't tell me what fuse it was, they said "You have to come in and have a technician trace what fuse is out." No, just tell me what flipping fuse the OBD is paired with I'm not paying you $120/hr for this nonsense.

Problem solved, OBD2 works now and I cleared the code from when Advance Auto installed the battery and triggered engine system failure. That was fun.

Hey guys, new to the forums and CX5s in general and I'm trying to understand this diagram, if I'm not wrong the blown fuse is the one on the bottom left labeled "A" with a brown line?
Look for that 7.5A fuse in the engine compartment it has the same name mentioned Engine+B on my 2017 3 hatch.

Back