Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

Look and design is subjective, and everyone have diffuse taste. But me too, i don’t like that new 7 series look.

The split headlight in the front reminds me too much of 2019 Cherokee and 2019 Kona. And I didn’t like the split headlight trend then.

And at night then you see both set of headlights turned on, and it just kind of break the design.

Now don’t get me wrong the BMW 7 design is way better than those two, but it still reminds me of that trend too much.

View attachment 327381
2bdb0989-b4f0-4f09-9da1-a502fcfaa4fb.jpg
I'm surprised no one made the connection of the X7/7 series to the Nissan Rogue!

2023_nissan_rogue_4dr-suv_platinum_fq_oem_1_815.jpg

2023_bmw_x7_4dr-suv_m60i_fq_oem_11_1600x1067.jpg

I was seriously considering waiting for the CX-70 PHEV, but then went with the CX-90 PHEV after checking it out at the dealer. Everyone already knows that the difference between the 70 and 90 just comes down to the 5 vs 7/8 seats (i.e. the 3rd bench in CX-90). In the CX-90, the 3rd bench when folded down are really flat out at 180 degree, resulted in the same surface level as the rest of the trunk and gives quite a good amount of cargo similar to the CX-70. For me, having a 3rd bench option when needed is still a big plus. One thing I can't understand is why the EV miles of the lighter CX-70 PHEV without the 3rd bench is the same as the CX-90 PHEV at 26 miles (I think this is a conservative number, I have had it easily reached 30 miles when driving in the city which I use almost daily.)

The Toyota RAV4 Prime was my 1st intention due to its decent 42 EV miles, but The CX-90 is in a different class of its own, so no comparison here. Just FYI, OTD cost of the two with *same* trim (RAV4 Prime SE vs CX-90 PHEV Preferred) are virtually the same. The RAV4 PRIME ain't cheap.
My sister had a Rav4 Prime and ended up selling it due to the annoying artificial "angelic chorus" when putting the car in reverse. You may have dodged a bullet there!

I'm not surprised by the lack of difference in fuel/EV economy b/w the CX90 and CX70. The CX70 is a glorified trim of the CX90!

All of us who wanted the CX70 to be around 195-196", just look at the CX80, it has this length. However, because of the narrow body, the car looks even more off, the proportions combined with the design is just wrong.
The official reveal of the CX80 is today, right? Pitchforks in 3...2...1...

1713450563664.png

They got it right overseas! Looks nice and may be a tiny bit too skinny but the interior of the CX90 isn't all that big, in spite of its width.

Calling for pitchforks before you've even seen it? Sounds like you already have a bias.
I think you misunderstood me! The pitchforks are for the folks who are decrying the "trolling" by Mazda making the CX70 same size as CX90 while they get a proper midsize SUV overseas!

So it's basically 4" smaller L, 3" smaller W, 1" smaller H, than the 70.

Length is what I'd hoped for the 70, height is within reason compared to other mid-size SUV. Only the W is really a bit small to me.

The only weight number I've seen (autoevolution) calls out 4773 lb, though that sounds high, so I'm not sure if it's accurate.

If it was a 2-row this would be within the "what I wished the 70 was" zone.

One odd thing from the posted link, "An electrically operated tailgate is going to cost extra." - does that mean the basic vehicle is actually a fully manual rear open/close?

Net, it still looks like the Lincoln Nautilus will be "it" for me. We'll go for a '25 (there's one hybrid engine issue in the '24 that needs to get fixed, whether it was a bad patch of parts or a different part is needed).

Last edited:
Now I'm more curious as to why Mazda is making like 27 different trims of basically the same vehicle. The level of parts sharing between the 70/80/90 must be a huge percentage. Recouping their large platform ROI shouldn't warrant this lack of differentiation unless it needs to be as fast as possible for some crazy reason. I wish Mazda nothing but the best.

So it's basically 4" smaller L, 3" smaller W, 1" smaller H, than the 70.

Length is what I'd hoped for the 70, height is within reason compared to other mid-size SUV. Only the W is really a bit small to me.

The only weight number I've seen (autoevolution) calls out 4773 lb, though that sounds high, so I'm not sure if it's accurate.

If it was a 2-row this would be within the "what I wished the 70 was" zone.

One odd thing from the posted link, "An electrically operated tailgate is going to cost extra." - does that mean the basic vehicle is actually a fully manual rear open/close?

Net, it still looks like the Lincoln Nautilus will be "it" for me. We'll go for a '25 (there's one hybrid engine issue in the '24 that needs to get fixed, whether it was a bad patch of parts or a different part is needed).
A 3" width reduction wouldn't be noticeable in the 60/80 if they changed some other interior dimensions. The interior of the 70/90 doesn't feel that big when you're sitting in it. My Explorer seems huge inside in comparison.

Seems like some companies are charging for the power liftgate - but you are probably unlikely to find one without it. An option you cannot 'opt' out of, so to speak. Volvo does the same thing - I told my dealer that I wanted to order one without the power liftgate - they chose to remove the charge on the vehicle that was en route vs. order another one. I think they'll charge people as long as buyers don't push back - it's free money.

Mazda is starting to tease the CX-80. 2025 Mazda CX-80: New SUV teased ahead of imminent reveal
It definitely gives me some CX-50 vibes with the way that rear window chrome trim looks. Time will tell if it is the CX-70 some of us wished Mazda delivered. Either way, Mazda is giving me some strong reasons these days to date other automakers.
What do you know, the CX-60 is a 2 -row 10" shorter than the 3-row CX-80. Too bad they didn't do that in the North American market with the CX-70! A 192" CX-70 would have made some sense.

1714046821595.png

I took out a '24 Ford Edge ST and didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Interior is dated and the gauges are straight from 2015...but the vehicle had some redeeming qualities for sure. Nice looking, quiet, lots of power, and a right size.
It was completely optioned up so the price of $65K Canadian is a bit of a hard pill to swallow. Even with the dealer knocking a few thousand off of the price, it's expensive for what it is.

Also took out an F150 Lightning which I absolutely fell in love with, but way beyond my budget, unfortunately.

I also had another CX90 out on Monday and that helped reinforce how much I don't like that vehicle.

I didn't realize there was such a "similarity" in pricing! I just checked and my well-equipped '23 X3 xDrive30i still has a higher MSRP than a CX70 3.3 Turbo S Premium (and that's comparing 2022 dollars vs 2024 dollars)!

If you consider a Chevy Blazer a mid-size reference car, the X3 is 6" shorter but only gives up less than 2 ft3 of cargo space. The X3 makes a fine 2nd or 3rd car but probably too small to be the family car unless your kids are really young!
Because it is a 2-row available with inline 6 and rear biased AWD. Unfortunately, the bump from the 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder is a healthy jump in price too. Also it drives well. Mazda's, while being practical, generally exhibit good driving dynamics. If practicality is your key criteria, then you would be better off with a CRV or Rav4.

Removing features (3rd row), changing cosmetics to appeal to younger crowd, while holding the price the same as the CX90 is a tough sell and we'll see how it goes in the coming months.

If an X5 was questionable for the extra "oversized" charge in a parking garage, the CX70 has removed all doubt!

Back