Noob question: How to turn climate control off with the Manual dials?

Yikes, am glad I don't have controls like that in mine, they look awful... is that the American setup?

That's the American setup for Sport and Touring trims, only the Grand Touring gets automatic climate control. It's one of those fun little market-specific cost engineering products. We Yanks aren't willing to pay nearly as much for our vehicles as most other markets, yet the dollar is still very strong against the yen. Car companies tend to make money here by higher volume rather than per-unit margins.

Directly converted (exchange rate of $1.00 = 0.66 on 18 March 2013), suggest prices here range from 14,500 to 20,900 from the stripped down lowest trim to fully loaded (dealer installed accessories and taxes/registration not included)... so corners have to be cut somewhere! Even though a lot of us love the thought of the 2.2D, I don't think many Americans would pay the ~$45,600 OTR price when fully loaded... that's into BMW X3/Mercedes GLK/Lexus RX territory here.

That's the American setup for Sport and Touring trims, only the Grand Touring gets automatic climate control. It's one of those fun little market-specific cost engineering products. We Yanks aren't willing to pay nearly as much for our vehicles as most other markets, yet the dollar is still very strong against the yen. Car companies tend to make money here by higher volume rather than per-unit margins.

Directly converted (exchange rate of $1.00 = 0.66 on 18 March 2013), suggest prices here range from 14,500 to 20,900 from the stripped down lowest trim to fully loaded (dealer installed accessories and taxes/registration not included)... so corners have to be cut somewhere! Even though a lot of us love the thought of the 2.2D, I don't think many Americans would pay the ~$45,600 OTR price when fully loaded... that's into BMW X3/Mercedes GLK/Lexus RX territory here.

Although somehow I don't think we'll see a cx5 in the uk for around 14,500 they can introduce an 'SE' level trim below the se-l which is the starting point in the uk at the mo'. suvs still have a premium in the uk so I don't think we'll see the lower trim level for a while, at least until supply meets demand. the mazda 6 already comes in se/sel/sport trims. se would be attractive to the fleet market.

Function light still on????

Does anyone else still have the light on the for the circulation function, even when the fan setting is at zero? I would have thought it would turn off too...

Does anyone else still have the light on the for the circulation function, even when the fan setting is at zero? I would have thought it would turn off too...

yes, thank you. this is why i'm always confused.
a button is always lit which confuses me.

and yes the manual dials are hideous.
1/10 would not bang

Although somehow I don't think we'll see a cx5 in the uk for around 14,500 they can introduce an 'SE' level trim below the se-l which is the starting point in the uk at the mo'. suvs still have a premium in the uk so I don't think we'll see the lower trim level for a while, at least until supply meets demand. the mazda 6 already comes in se/sel/sport trims. se would be attractive to the fleet market.

I can't imagine you'll ever see it at that price, my point is more that the markets themselves are just hugely different. Direct comparison, dollar to pound, you guys pay about as much for your most base version of the CX-5 as we do for ours fully loaded. We Americans also accept that many of the spiffy features that come baked into the base price over there are lumped into options packages or costly trim level upgrades here, if available at all.

I'm pretty sure that's an across-the-board phenomenon for Mazdas with manual HVAC controls, my previous gen Mazda3 does the same thing.

Even turned off there will be some air comming in to "pressurize the cabin" to keep out engine fumes from possible exaust leaks for safety reasons...

Guys this is for all cars. The circ light will go off when u push it after turning the dial off the windshield defrost direction.

I am talking about the 4 button lights around the center dial. The top left button or the bottom left button light remains on, usually in my case its the top left, due to defrost. It does not matter what setting the right dial is on or the temp setting on the left. If the fan is at zero, the light remains on.

I am talking about the 4 button lights around the center dial. The top left button or the bottom left button light remains on, usually in my case its the top left, due to defrost. It does not matter what setting the right dial is on or the temp setting on the left. If the fan is at zero, the light remains on.

Top one with the arrow into the car is the vent that opens to the outside. The bottom one with the circle arrow has that vent shut. One of those lights has to be on because either the vent is open or closed. This is independent of the fan spinning. With the vent open air can still enter the car due to the cars speed. With the vent closed no fresh air will come in the car. There is no way to turn both them off because like I said one is for vent open and the other is for vent closed. The vent will always be in one of those 2 positions.

ca_mazda: Be aware that it may unhealthy to keep the ventilation on recirc for long periods of time. You're trapping carbon dioxide from your breathing (and your passengers) in the car, which can be make you more fatigued. This is even true if you have the fan on (or the A/C in the summer). The windows are also more likely to fog up when you have recirc enabled. It's good to allow fresh air in (if not constantly, then at least once in a while as you drive). You don't have the have the fan on 1-3 in order to get fresh air. You'll still get some with the fan on Zero when the car is moving, as long as recirc is off. If you don't want to feel the air blowing directly on you, aim the vents away from you (up to the roof or windshield for example, or down towards the center console).

Onto somewhat related question I have....
I've owned an older Mazda 6 and am considering a CX-5 purchase at the moment. In the 6 that I owned, selecting the defroster vent setting enabled the A/C automatically and it couldn't be turned off. This design bothered me, because the A/C is of course wasting gas when it's not needed. I'd like to know if the CX-5 does the same thing. Not intending to threadjack, just didn't feel the need to start a new thread for this small question.

This is the first car we've had that had a separate button for fresh and recirc.

Usually it is just a recirc button that lights up when that is on and doesn't light up when it is off and fresh air is coming in.
Like on the Mazda3: http://mazda3carpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010Maz3knobsbefore.jpg

The light being on on the fresh setting doesn't actually indicate that anything is on it just shows that the vent to the outside is open.

ca_mazda:Onto somewhat related question I have....
I've owned an older Mazda 6 and am considering a CX-5 purchase at the moment. In the 6 that I owned, selecting the defroster vent setting enabled the A/C automatically and it couldn't be turned off. This design bothered me, because the A/C is of course wasting gas when it's not needed. I'd like to know if the CX-5 does the same thing. Not intending to threadjack, just didn't feel the need to start a new thread for this small question.
From 5-11 of NA OM:
Press the windshield defroster switch.
In this position, the outside air position is
automatically selected, and the air
conditioner automatically turns on.

_mazda: ...In the 6 that I owned, selecting the defroster vent setting enabled the A/C automatically and it couldn't be turned off. This design bothered me, because the A/C is of course wasting gas when it's not needed. I'd like to know if the CX-5 does the same thing.

In Sport model, a/c is turned on and off via a dedicated button, so you have that ability to manually control. Don't know about Touring and GT.

Thank you Clever and CCR

I'm glad that the driver can override the A/C engagement in defroster mode in the sport edition. I'd be getting a touring which I think has the same controls, but I will experiment at the dealer.

When driving a GT yesterday I discovered that the auto climate controls can be fooled easily by environmental conditions. It was a day that was very warm for this time of year (about 60) and the car's interior was very warm from sitting in the sun. So I put the system in Auto mode and set the temp to 65. Several minutes later the interior was not much cooler. I kept turning the temp down more. Even with the desired temp set to 61 degrees, the system was not effectively cooling the interior. Only when I set the temp to 60 did the system really start cooling me off. But it also did this by putting the fans at full. I was disappointed with this all or nothing behavior. Seems like Mazda climate controls leave something to be desired, as I was never totally happy with them in my 2003 Mazda6 either. Add this to the small list of things important enough to make me second guess the choice of a CX-5.

Latest posts

Back