Noisy engine transmission on 2020 CX5 Reserve (turbo)

ddingle

:
2020 CX5 Sig
Hi! I recently traded my 2015 CX 5 front drive for a slightly used 2020 CX 5 Reserve. The reserve has 4 wheel drive and a turbo. I bought with 16k an . it has around 28k now. Although much peppier and better in the snow compared to the 2015 I am noting a somewhat noisy engine or turbo related sound or it could be the front drive mechanism as well. I don't usually have the radio on so hearing most everything going on mechanically. It seems like around 50 mph I can hear something like low frequency exhaust from the engine or drive train movement. Any other Reserve owners out there have similar noise levels? Thanks in advance

Maybe you object to the piped in fake engine sounds from the speakers.

Here's a short video with the sound I am wondering about. More pronounced than you can hear on this recording,Kind of a low thumping.

Attachments

• MOV_20220318_1541293.mp4
    19 MB
I took it to the dealer and they indicated the tires are 5/32nd which is still usable for a little while, but they were cupped to some degree and responsible for the noise. I would suggest that not surprisingly that the factory Toyos are pretty mediocre and at 28,500 basically worn out. On my previous 2015 CX5 I used a couple sets of Continental Extreme Contact tires slightly larger than factory spec (they don't come in the factory spec size) but they worked out without any issue and drive quality was excellent.

I took it to the dealer and they indicated the tires are 5/32nd which is still usable for a little while, but they were cupped to some degree and responsible for the noise. I would suggest that not surprisingly that the factory Toyos are pretty mediocre and at 28,500 basically worn out. On my previous 2015 CX5 I used a couple sets of Continental Extreme Contact tires slightly larger than factory spec (they don't come in the factory spec size) but they worked out without any issue and drive quality was excellent.
what psi did you keep the tires at? what was your rotation schedule?

I bought the car with 15.000 miles on it so not sure about before that, but I have completed two oil changes which include rotation since I got it. The dealer sets the air pressure during changes as well. I believe 35 psi. Plenty of criticisms of the factory tires with a Google search. Not that Toyos in general are an issue. I suspect they make a tire specifically for Mazda to use with a bit of money saving in the design. The Extreme Contact Continentals are a better tire for sure. I will order those shortly.

Back