No Mazda Sport Utility?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
That might not be the proper way to describe them but I'm referring to Jeep like 4x4s with two speed transfer case. While Mazda has produced 4x4 pickups, to my knowlege they have apparently never offered a non pickup 4x4 unlike Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu and Daihatsu which have all offered Jeep like vehicles at one time or another. That occured to me after I watched a road test of the CX-50 in which it's improved off road ability over the CX-5 was highlighted. I just find it curious.

Mazda has the BT-50 pick up truck, but it's not offered in North America and it's really an Isuzu anyway. They used to have the Navajo in the 90's, which we could buy, but it was just an Explorer.

Kind of weird, really. Toyota can't sell enough 4runners...also, bring back the Suzuki Sidekick!

2019-mazda-bt-50-ute-white-1001x565-%281%29.jpg

img]
Mazda_Navajo_2.jpg

I didn't know the BT-50 was an Isuzu, interesting. Some Mazdas and Fords were assembled in Bogotá until production ended in 2016.

If I understand correctly both Ford and Mazda versions were built on the same assembly line and just differentiated at the end of it with respective badges but who did the prliminary designing of the vehicles Mazda, Ford or other?

If I understand correctly both Ford and Mazda versions were built on the same assembly line and just differentiated at the end of it with respective badges but who did the prliminary designing of the vehicles Mazda, Ford or other?
eye believe the drivetrain was designed by mazda

I didn't know the BT-50 was an Isuzu, interesting. Some Mazdas and Fords were assembled in Bogotá until production ended in 2016.
The BT-50's are now built at the Isuzu Motors plant in Samrong, Samut Prakan, Thailand.

Its too bad they don't bring that over here. The biggest issue would be the diesel only engines but if they could swap to the 2.5L units used in the rest of the lineup it looks like a good option vs the Hyundai Santa Cruz.

Its too bad they don't bring that over here. The biggest issue would be the diesel only engines but if they could swap to the 2.5L units used in the rest of the lineup it looks like a good option vs the Hyundai Santa Cruz.
Click on this Aussie Mazda site to whet your appetite with info on the BT-50:

Mazda has the BT-50 pick up truck, but it's not offered in North America and it's really an Isuzu anyway. They used to have the Navajo in the 90's, which we could buy, but it was just an Explorer.

Kind of weird, really. Toyota can't sell enough 4runners...also, bring back the Suzuki Sidekick!

img]
The Toyota HiLux, as sold in Australia is a huge seller there and a nice looking truck. Too bad they don't have that and the Mazda BT-50 here in North America to choose from. They would be an excellent alternative to the Hyundai Santa Cruz and the Honda Ridgeline

Back