2016~2023 Newbie needs CX-9 opinions

Hi folks,

I've been considering purchasing a used CX9 to replace my beloved 2004 Acura MDX, and have comparing them to Toyota Highlanders and Acura MDX to decide what to get. Money IS definitely an object here, and I have to say, in all of my car decisions.

I'm looking at used, late model, low mileage CX9's, maybe from 2019-2023. It appears that you get a very nice bang for your buck with these cars. I can find one here in the NY area for around 20-22K, with a mileage range of 30-60,000. This is significantly lower than a similarly equipped Highlander and MDX with all of the safety bells and whistles.

I haven't had a Mazda since an incredibly reliable sedan back in the 90's.

I'd like to have this purchase for a LONG time. My questions to you CX9 experts - how would you compare the Mazda to the Highlanders and MDXs in all respects - reliability, driveability, motor and transmission, repair costs, well, everything? Any years to avoid? Any issues I should be aware of?

I've been reading about some coolant leakage issues - not great. Opinions?

Thanks in advance. I'm overwhelmed at this point...

Stuart

This is a generalized observation...
21 or older have a higher chance of engine defects such as coolant leak from head or excessive oil consumption.
22+ likely have addressed such defects

Aside from the engine complaints, Cx-9 is a solid car.

Hi folks,

I've been considering purchasing a used CX9 to replace my beloved 2004 Acura MDX, and have comparing them to Toyota Highlanders and Acura MDX to decide what to get. Money IS definitely an object here, and I have to say, in all of my car decisions.

I'm looking at used, late model, low mileage CX9's, maybe from 2019-2023. It appears that you get a very nice bang for your buck with these cars. I can find one here in the NY area for around 20-22K, with a mileage range of 30-60,000. This is significantly lower than a similarly equipped Highlander and MDX with all of the safety bells and whistles.

I haven't had a Mazda since an incredibly reliable sedan back in the 90's.

I'd like to have this purchase for a LONG time. My questions to you CX9 experts - how would you compare the Mazda to the Highlanders and MDXs in all respects - reliability, driveability, motor and transmission, repair costs, well, everything? Any years to avoid? Any issues I should be aware of?

I've been reading about some coolant leakage issues - not great. Opinions?

Thanks in advance. I'm overwhelmed at this point...

Stuart
I bought a 2021 Grand Touring with 7k miles about a year ago. After 12k miles and all the research here are my observations:
Go with 2021 or after, you get newer wider screen. Not a touchscreen but it works great with a dial my opinion.
I had my stem valves replaced about 6k miles after excessive oil consumption under warranty. Engine still burning oil but a much lesser rate. Last week I received class action settlement notice that VINs (primarily 2021s) with 2.5 turbos will have their powertrain warranty extended by 2 years and/or 24k miles. I think satisfied. If you want to avoid oil issue, look at 2022 and after. Haven't had any other issues or engine check lights. I also like the 6 AT(from Aisin), buttery smooth without constantly looking for a gear, the turbo always has the torque to give you immediate power. Not much turbo lag, but a bit more torque steer that than I would like. I live in WNY and AWD is good in the snow, but its more about your tires.
Prior I had a Highlander Hybrid on order for about a year, but I got tired of waiting and decided that instead of paying MSRP for Limited or XLE, I ll save more by buying mint used instead of worrying about MPG. I only test drove a Hybrid, CX-9 of course has much better driving dynamics. Can't compare to MDX but I did test drive Pilot. Each has pros and cons.
If you can, go for Grand Touring; very useful 360, good ventilated seats, Bose is better than upgraded JBL, but those are premium features that some don't care about.
Beside trim differences, my biggest dislike is a somewhat narrow front leg area. I am 6.1 230, and every so often I wish I went with new generation Pilot, but that was a lot more money for one inconvenience. In my opinion CX-9 is probably is the best value among 3 rows.
Lastly I have two young kids, so I always have 3rd row down for a stroller and etc. CX-9 cargo space is not as small as numbers suggest. Pilot cargo space (3rd folded) is only about 10% longer, but most gain is from square shape and vertical room.

Hope this helps

@Puckdoom summed it up very nicely.

Personally I have a 2018 that I've been really happy with. If I had to buy a slightly used vehicle now though, I'd definitely be looking at 22+ models, just for peace of mind. Considering the class action against the 21 models and the extended powertrain warranty that came with it, I would also consider a 21 in a pinch. The MDX is probably the only other car that I would consider, but as you said, its more expensive for not much more car. A used Highlander would be off the list entirely.

We bought our slightly used (2100 miles) 2020 Signature model almost three years ago and have had zero issues. Bought from dealer and got the 7/100k CPO warranty. Our first Mazda and won't be our last....great vehicle. I looked at all the others as well. The issues with engine coolant and oil consumption affect a small number of 2020-21 models. Nobody knows the percentage. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a '21 with many coming off lease now. Just buy from dealer and get the Mazda 7 yr /100k warranty for peace of mind. Recommend not getting the base Touring....you'll appreciate the extras with the upgraded models. Make sure you confirm history via Carfax and try to buy a local car as some dealers are buying out of area off lease vehicles at auction with sketchy history reports. Keep us posted on your search.

Last edited:
Back