Off Topic New Vehicle Time

I hope you're not disappointed with its AWD system, like you were with the Rav4. Are you going to wait and test its capabilities first?
The ev6 has a pretty legit awd system. Its rwd bias, but not near as bias as the rav4 with only 16% of the power going to the rear. The ev6 is much more performance oriented.

Not sure how cold it is where you live, but just make sure you get enough range from it from winter conditions. Some people up here in the north (canada) found out the hard way that winter range goes between 70-50% depending how cold it gets (50% was at around -25C/-13F which is pretty common here). Plenty of range for their daily commute turned into not enough range to complete the trip to work and back in winter.

Nothing agains EVs. I think they are awesome, but their temperature limitations are not well advertised.

Last edited:
Not sure how cold it is where you live, but just make sure you get enough range from it from winter conditions. Some people up here in the north (canada) found out the hard way that winter range goes between 70-50% depending how cold it gets (50% was at around -25C/-13F which is pretty common here). Plenty of range for their daily commute turned into not enough range to complete the trip to work and back in winter.

Nothing agains EVs. I think they are awesome, but their temperature limitations are not well advertised.
Is this for the EV6, or EV's in general? The EV6 is one of the most efficient EV's I've seen in the cold, with testing in 32*F weather showing only about a 12% range drop vs. 72*F due to how the heat pump is set up. That said, I need a MINIMUM of 120mi range, and it's rated at 274, so I should be okay, but until I actually try it, I will not know for sure. Still, if it doesn't work for me, I'll just trade again. They are going to be going for over sticker for a good while on the used market, and that $7500 tax credit also pays dividends, so I'll be far from "trapped".

All EVs in general. Here is my source (sorry it is in french only. Google translate can be used) Des automobilistes refroidis par la performance de leur véhicule électrique en hiver

But having worked on cold weather testing li-ion automotive batteries myself, that is just a limitation of the battery technology in general. The batteries are not as efficient in cold weather, so much so that a lot of them employ heating elements to warm up the battery (using electrical energy to warm the battery to gain more electrical energy). Add to that heating the cabin, the window defrost, etc. Which had more strains to the battery.

Heat pumps are better, but they lose a lot of efficiency the colder the weather becomes ( it gets harder to extract heat from outside when there is less heat outside). This is a well documented fact for home heating solution using heat pumps.

So that results in a power loss curve that is not a straight line. The power loss gets more and more severe the colder it gets. So for example: 12% loss at from 72F to 32 F could then go to in 25% loss at 0F and 50% loss at -13F. (Just using random numbers to illustrate the point)

At 32F it is very possible that the battery heating elements don’t need to turn on, and that the heat pump is running at close to peak efficiency. So a test of EV at 32F shows how efficient a EV is at 32F, but cannot really be extrapolated to colder temperatures.

The problem is that The full range loss curve based on temperatures is never communicated ( or the power loss at multiple temperatures). So consumers base themselves on these 32F test. Here 32F is a fall and spring morning temperature and days at -13F are common in winter. Especially considering that most people commute early in the morning, when temperatures are colder. Which results in EV consumers up here being very surprised at the real life winter range loss.

The solution: buy an EV with a lot more range capacity than you need if you will be driving in those kind of low temperatures.

Last edited:
All EVs in general. Here is my source (sorry it is in french only. Google translate can be used) Des automobilistes refroidis par la performance de leur véhicule électrique en hiver

But having worked on cold weather testing li-ion automotive batteries myself, that is just a limitation of the battery technology in general. The batteries are not as efficient in cold weather, so much so that a lot of them employ heating elements to warm up the battery (using electrical energy to warm the battery to gain more electrical energy). Add to that heating the cabin, the window defrost, etc. Which had more strains to the battery.

Heat pumps are better, but they lose a lot of efficiency the colder the weather becomes ( it gets harder to extract heat from outside when there is less heat outside). This is a well documented fact for home heating solution using heat pumps.

So that results in a power loss curve that is not a straight line. The power loss gets more and more severe the colder it gets. So for example: 12% loss at from 72F to 32 F could then go to in 25% loss at 0F and 50% loss at -13F. (Just using random numbers to illustrate the point)

At 32F it is very possible that the battery heating elements don’t need to turn on, and that the heat pump is running at close to peak efficiency. So a test of EV at 32F shows how efficient a EV is at 32F, but cannot really be extrapolated to colder temperatures.

The problem is that The full range loss curve based on temperatures is never communicated ( or the power loss at multiple comme temperatures). So consumers base themselves on these 32F test. Here 32F is a fall and spring morning temperature and days at -13F are common in winter. Especially considering that most people commute early in the morning, when temperatures are colder. Which results in EV consumers up here being very surprised at the real life winter range loss.

The solution: buy an EV with a lot more range capacity than you need if you will be driving in those kind if low temperatures.
I fully agree, and the EV6 is rated at 100% more range than I "NEED" for this reason.

Model (temp. Varied from 0 ° to -10 °)
Kia EV6 4WD484 km / 18.0 kWh423 km-12.60%

Good find. Wish they would have kept going further down to -25C but a good ressources for those that will only see down to -10. I like that they have tested a lot of models.

Last edited:
The market being the way it is right now is probably the only reason you can get away with switching cars so often. 🤣

I forgot where you live, but in California, if you don't retain ownership of the vehicle for 30 consecutive months, you have to reimburse CARB for all or part of the rebate. Might be worth looking into.

The market being the way it is right now is probably the only reason you can get away with switching cars so often. 🤣

I forgot where you live, but in California, if you don't retain ownership of the vehicle for 30 consecutive months, you have to reimburse CARB for all or part of the rebate. Might be worth looking into.
Nothing like that here. I also don't get state tax credits, either.

Change of plans. After being yanked around by multiple Kia dealers, and having an EV6 on order for 2+ months with ZERO updates (I was told I'd have the car in 1-2 months, and get a VIN# in 1 month). After seeing numerous posts about motor/axle problems. After seeing a ton of Facebook posts about body panels/trim warping and coming loose in this heat wave. I have concluded that the EV6 is exactly what one would expect from Kia. Looks good in makeup and a nice sundress, but absolutely trash around the house and will make you miserable. I pivoted on this one and my Volvo C40 arrives in another 2-3 weeks.

Love the Volvo XC-Series. I want an XC60 or a V70.

Last edited:
One of our daughters has the XC40 EV and loves it. I hope you like your C40 more than your last few vehicles. :)

Since you are talking EVs

Siemens’ new home EV charger adapter ends need for electrical panel upgrades

Siemens-EV-charger-adapter.jpg

One of our daughters has the XC40 EV and loves it. I hope you like your C40 more than your last few vehicles. :)
I loved my RDX, it's just that I'm paying another $4-500/mo in fuel to drive it, and I don't love it that much. It costs me as much today as an Audi SQ5 would have in 2020. It's just not worth it. The C40 will be absurdly fast (in comparison), simpler (I am coming to hate all the drive modes), and cost me $300 less per month at present (total monthly cost), with the break-even point coming at $1.80/gal for premium (Doubt).

Ohhh. I thought he was talking about an XC40. Take that back. I do not want a C60. :D
It's the same vehicle, but WAY faster and cheaper to operate and with better balance. The C series is just chopped version of the XC like a BMW X4 or Audi Sportback.

Back