Off Topic New Vehicle Time

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Here in the next few months, I am going to trade the Prime.

1) It did bad in the ice/snow. Even with CC2's, it's HEAVY FWD bias just kills it. No TY.

2) The placement of the HVAC core is where it is very vulnerable to debris, and it is VERY expensive, and VERY fragile, and it is the cooling system for the battery pack. The dealership said "thousands" if it gets hit. Didn't know that, now I'm paranoid.

3) It is a bit numb to drive. It just is. Fast AF in a straight line, but numb.

4) It has appreciated in value to the point I can pull a few thousand MORE than MSRP out of it.

Here in the next few months, I am going to trade the Prime.

1) It did bad in the ice/snow. Even with CC2's, it's HEAVY FWD bias just kills it. No TY.

2) The placement of the HVAC core is where it is very vulnerable to debris, and it is VERY expensive, and VERY fragile, and it is the cooling system for the battery pack. The dealership said "thousands" if it gets hit. Didn't know that, now I'm paranoid.

3) It is a bit numb to drive. It just is. Fast AF in a straight line, but numb.

4) It has appreciated in value to the point I can pull a few thousand MORE than MSRP out of it.

Sorry to hear that, I know you just got it. So it does well on loose gravel, but poorly in ice/snow?

Good news about the trade-in/selling price. These were in demand before the pandemic - can't imagine what the demand is like for them now.

Any ideas on what you might replace it with? Maybe an AR Stelvio, Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan? Or maybe something that isn't a "direct replacement"?

Wow, sorry to hear this did not meet your needs/wants. Any idea what you will be looking to get instead?

Sorry to hear that, I know you just got it. So it does well on loose gravel, but poorly in ice/snow?

Good news about the trade-in/selling price. These were in demand before the pandemic - can't imagine what the demand is like for them now.

Any ideas on what you might replace it with? Maybe an AR Stelvio, Audi Q5 or Porsche Macan? Or maybe something that isn't a "direct replacement"?
Im going to snag a '22 Stelvio Veloce probably.

Yes, on snow its readily apparent that its very fwd biased, and going up hills it shows badly. It just doesn't get it done with surefootedness.

I added a mesh guard to the lower bumper grill of my RAV4 Hybrid. I can’t suggest anything to fix the winter driving problems though.

I added a mesh guard to the lower bumper grill of my RAV4 Hybrid. I can’t suggest anything to fix the winter driving problems though.
I bought one, but it didnt fit. Looked chintzy too. Some guy made them for Volts started making them for primes. Meh. In a couple months it wont matter.

I bought one, but it didnt fit. Looked chintzy too. Some guy made them for Volts started making them for primes. Meh. In a couple months it wont matter.
Yeah, that’s the one I bought. I got his first try at them and it’s holding up ok. Like you said though, it felt and looked dumb zip tying something to my bumper but thankfully it blends in well with the black trim on mine.

Without doing any further research and only based on what I have read so far, the XC60 is a bit more premium than the Stelvio, but the Stelvio is more fun to drive. The F-Pace, at least for the first few years, had lots of teething issues (not sure if the new ones are better). A base model '22 F-Pace configured with the 3.0 engine starts at about $69k MSRP and is just barely faster than a 2.5T CX-5 from 0-60. At this price point, interior design is lacking as well (IMO).

Maybe the XC60 Recharge Inscription is worth looking into? Also $69k MSRP starting, but it's a plug-in hybrid that does 0-60 in 5.3s, and it has a nice interior. With it being a plug-in hybrid, you might have the same traction issues you had with the Rav4 Prime, but at least now you could take it for a test drive to confirm (assuming they have stock available to test drive).

If I remember correctly, @tibimakai traded his 1st gen CX-5 for a Stelvio over a year ago. Not sure if he's still around here, but if he is, maybe he can provide some ownership feedback?

Are you keeping it long term? Their warranty is only 4yr/50k. You'll probably run thru it in no time then you'll be left with a FCA paperweight lol jk 😆

So is the priority for this new car going to be driving characteristics?

Are you keeping it long term? Their warranty is only 4yr/50k. You'll probably run thru it in no time then you'll be left with a FCA paperweight lol jk 😆

So is the priority for this new car going to be driving characteristics?
Yes. I find that I trade vehicles because I don't view them as worth fixing. I want something that when it breaks, I feel like it's actually worth fixing because I truly enjoy it. I think that's the only way I'll ever keep anything. As to the FCA paperweight, I have zero love for Chrysler, but the Stelvio is all Alfa Romeo. Much better quality parts, etc. Their main issue is the battery and the "smart charging" they use for it. The Varta that comes with the car is junk, and smart charging only charges when driving at a steady rate under 75mph. My commute supplies this just fine. It is no different from MB, BMW, etc. but it IS stupid and annoying, despite the name. A quality AGM battery and my commute should nullify this. Otherwise, the engines are proven, and it uses a German built ZF8 transmission and very robust AWD system. The car has good bones.

The CX5 checks all the boxes except it's FWD based and terribly nose heavy.

As for reliability, Mazda of late isn't exactly "problem free", so...YOLO! I'd rather YOLO in a 50/50 weight distributed Italian vehicle than a FWD based front-heavy one, so it is what it is.

Im going to snag a '22 Stelvio Veloce probably.

Yes, on snow its readily apparent that its very fwd biased, and going up hills it shows badly. It just doesn't get it done with surefootedness.
I was considering the Stelvio before I bought my Signature. Unfortunately the nearest Alfa dealership is an hour away. Practicality and convenience won that time.

Back