New to Mazda, new to Forum

:
2020 CX 30
Hello from not-so-sunny Australia!

After many years of German motoring (Audi, BMW, etc), Herself and I decided to take the momentous step of going from two cars down to just one. Which presented a fairly major problem - I’m I dyed-in-the-wool petrolhead with a long history of performance and modified cars, and Herself is… not. After much searching, test driving, and so forth, we settled on a new CX-30, which we took delivery of just 10 days ago.

I was initially a little anxious about how I would adjust to the car, having stepped out of a very modified Audi A5 coupe. I needn’t have worried - the car is excellent! Okay, its nowhere near as quick as the Audi was, but its every bit as comfortable (more so, in fact), well finished and well appointed. Very happy with the switch, and Herself is revelling in not trying to get in and out of a low slung coupe!

I’m looking forward to meeting other members of the forum.

Welcome and great intro, @julianwhitta! Glad to see you seem very pleased with your first Mazda / CX-30. Nice to meet you as well...Please do post pics of your new CX-30 if possible...Planning any mods? Accessories on the way? 😁

Welcome and great intro, @julianwhitta! Glad to see you seem very pleased with your first Mazda / CX-30. Nice to meet you as well...Please do post pics of your new CX-30 if possible...Planning any mods? Accessories on the way? 😁
Thanks for the welcome, Antoine. Mods… hmmm, yes. It may be that I’m having a little trouble adapting to life in a baby SUV, but I’m finding the “jacked” stance of the car a tad high and narrow for my tastes. A 15 - 20mm drop is on the cards, along with spacers to pull the wheels out of their plastic-clad caves (probably 7.5mm front and 15mm rear).
The dearth of storage options in the rear compartment/trunk/boot (select whichever is relevant/meaningful in your culture) has already led to an eBay purchase of Velcro-backed net pockets to mount on either side of the space. Saving the big floor net from my Audi means I can also secure larger items, but the absence of high-mounted hooks to secure shopping bags has me temporarily flummoxed.
No power outlets in the back seat isn’t a major inconvenience, but I’d still like to have them. The absence of same in the boot verges on being a crime against humanity - how is one supposed to keep one’s cooler chilled, and one’s beer cold?! That’s definitely on the cards for a sooner-not-later mod.
I’d love to do a few tweaks to the engine (that’s one very unstressed 2.5 under the hood) but, until I can find a remap that I’d trust, I’ll have to limit myself to peripheral things, like cleaning up the air intake and, maybe, a pedal box to get past the dull throttle.
Oh, and the tyres are definitely not long for this world. I get that this is an FWD car, and I can’t reasonably expect the levels of grip that I was accustomed to with the all-paw Audi, but the dreadful Dunlops the 30 is lumbered with ARE NOT HELPING! Any recommendations for decent rubber gratefully received.

Welcome to the forums Julian! I don't have much experience with the CX-30 but I'm sure others will be along to help you out with tire suggestions shortly. Are you interested in all-season/all-weather tires, or something that prioritizes dry/wet traction?

I have a Sprint Booster (pedal box) installed in my CX-9, and I'm a fan! The more sensitive pedal makes it feel like I'm driving a different car. Great mod to tide you over until some tuning options become available.

An all season that prioritises wet traction, I think, sm1ke. Michelin Primacys look good, as do Continental’s ContiEcoContact 5s and Bridgestone’s Turanza.
Thanks for the tip about the Sprint Booster.

Thanks for the welcome, Antoine. Mods… hmmm, yes. It may be that I’m having a little trouble adapting to life in a baby SUV, but I’m finding the “jacked” stance of the car a tad high and narrow for my tastes. A 15 - 20mm drop is on the cards, along with spacers to pull the wheels out of their plastic-clad caves (probably 7.5mm front and 15mm rear).
The dearth of storage options in the rear compartment/trunk/boot (select whichever is relevant/meaningful in your culture) has already led to an eBay purchase of Velcro-backed net pockets to mount on either side of the space. Saving the big floor net from my Audi means I can also secure larger items, but the absence of high-mounted hooks to secure shopping bags has me temporarily flummoxed.
No power outlets in the back seat isn’t a major inconvenience, but I’d still like to have them. The absence of same in the boot verges on being a crime against humanity - how is one supposed to keep one’s cooler chilled, and one’s beer cold?! That’s definitely on the cards for a sooner-not-later mod.
I’d love to do a few tweaks to the engine (that’s one very unstressed 2.5 under the hood) but, until I can find a remap that I’d trust, I’ll have to limit myself to peripheral things, like cleaning up the air intake and, maybe, a pedal box to get past the dull throttle.
Oh, and the tyres are definitely not long for this world. I get that this is an FWD car, and I can’t reasonably expect the levels of grip that I was accustomed to with the all-paw Audi, but the dreadful Dunlops the 30 is lumbered with ARE NOT HELPING! Any recommendations for decent rubber gratefully received.
Sounds like you know what you want and have got quite the list already, nice. Looking forward to see updates on those mods mentioned, please include links and pics if possible, thanks!

Back