New Tire Recommendations?

I'm still running my General G-MAX's in the back with no problems or abnormal wear. Can't speak for anyone else.

Hopefully mine is still correctable. I'm finding a lot of really good reviews about the G-MAX's, so I think I'm gonna go with those when I get the money together. Anybody know of other sites to look at for tires besides Tire Rack and Discount Tire?

i've had Kuhmos and Falkens. Kuhmos wore through on the inside edge with wire showing. outside edge looked perfectly fine. scary. i had no issues with the Falkens. now i'm running a set of Maxxis Victra z4s tires. pretty good tire so far. had for a few years.

This is a great conversation on an important topic, thanks everyone! I've been running the Kumho Ecsta 4x on my 2002 Protege5 for about a year and a half with no complaints... except that I'm ready to replace them having put only 20-25k on them (best estimate). Am I right in saying "only"? It seems low, but I'm willing to be wrong on that. Next week I'm moving ~650 miles with everything packed in the car. I could probably get this trip out of the tires no problem then replace them when I get to Montana. Since I'll be spending winter in Montana, which will include some trips to go skiing at resorts, should I get snow tires? Budget-wise I'd really rather not. Any recommendations on tires that would do well in the winter up there? Some folks have been mentioning 205/50-R16's. How have these worked out? Tirerack.com currently has the 4x's for $88/each. Thoughts?

I have about 15K on My Kumho Exta 4x's. I rotate at 4-5k and had the car aligned at installation.I don't baby it at all in the corners,and keep it inflated @ 35 Front and rear. and they show minimal wear.I'm really satisfied with them.I run 195's. The last tires were 205 BFG super sport AS,but they were prone to hydroplane and tram-lining...even when new.These tires are pretty good in the wet and really grippy in the dry.I also looked at the general Max tires.I heard they got pretty noisy about 10 k in,so I didn't get them.I dyna-matted the car recently,and removed the roof racks to make it more quiet,so the Gmax seemed like the wrong move for me.I'm sure you got tires already,but maybe this helps somebody else.If I recall...the guarantee's for 35K.Also,wider tires aren't as snow friendly,you're probably better off with the 195's.No idea how these work in the snow.I moved to Florida.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be getting the General Altimax HPs here, they'll settle for the one or two snow days we get if we're lucky here in the update, and the wet/dry traction seems to be what I need (current tires hydroplane on ze highway... and the tramlining... omg) to be able to enjoy the mountain roads up here (76, and 276 FTW!)

Last edited:
I have Kumho Ecsta AST on my car that i just put on the front brand new last year and now i went for an inspection and i didnt pass because they said the front tires were worn down to much from the Traction line on the tires. It"s total bull crap if you ask me! I had an alignment and everything and my cars drives straight as an arrow maybe because its lowered on Teins? Im just ticked off at the fact that they wouldn"t pass it because of the thread it really isn"t that bad now i have to Buy new tires im so ticked off about that. These tires are supposed to be covered for 50k miles i only got 13k out of them and theres still plenty of tread left but according to the Shop there to low to pass because of the tread bar on the tires. Any Tire upgrade suggestions? I know some one mentioned Dunlop Dizerra? Im not going with Falcons those tires are to soft and there garbage!

Back