New owner (maybe?) + Recall Notice!?

Consumer Reports is reporting that the 2013s aren't part of the recall. Apparently "a production change that contributed to this problem was made in summer 2013, affecting 2014 models."

Yup, my 2013 (built June 2012) doesn't show the recall when checked at the Mazda site ;)

Any 2013's seeing their car now show up here? Mine registers here.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%205.32.08%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
The recall will happen and in its due time. I think everyone needs to take a CHILL PILL. There are a thousand ways to die and this is not one of them.

I drove around in cars with fuel tanks in the bumper (GM "A BODIES") and was rear ended and the car never burst into flames. Yes, having the fuel tanks on the side is safer than the bumper area but everyone needs to calm down. (boom01)

It's OK Jason, Mike seems to always cover for CX5 problems (read his threads)

Anyways it might be a remote possibility but nonetheless still probable and concerning especially if you have a family member that cant quite take a seat belt off in the rear seat.

but its ok I guess if this happens (wink)
26494065_01X.JPG

Are you trying to scare us?

I don't always defend Mazda, only when there is irrational fear peddlers like what you just posted here. This recall is less scary than a chainsaw without a chain. Watch out, you could burn yourself on the muffler! (lol2)

Not sure if I missed it in this thread, but according to an article I read about the recall on nydailynews.com, "Customers of the CX-5 from model years 2013-2016 with concerns about driving the vehicles before the repair is available will be offered a free loaner, demo, or rental vehicles by Mazda dealers."

I am not worried enough to ask for a loaner, but it is good that they are offering - if this article and be trusted.

Maybe I'll bring mine in once the recall actually happens and have the dealer take a look at other pesky little things that annoy me on a daily basis. I will be asking for a loaner because this is my only vehicle. No car = no worky

P.S. My GF's 15' VW has a recall for a camshaft pin sheering off which causes you to lose brake vacuum. There is no fix for it, if this issue happens to you, bring it to your nearest VW dealer for evaluation. That is what the recall notice mailed to us said, no fix for it, but if it braeks, take it in to get fixed....what?

Are you trying to scare us?

I don't always defend Mazda, only when there is irrational fear peddlers like what you just posted here. This recall is less scary than a chainsaw without a chain. Watch out, you could burn yourself on the muffler! (lol2)

Some of us have little kids that ride in complicated seats in the back that takes time to get them out of. Yes, there are always risks with everything we do but adding to the risk isn't something I will take lightly, especially when the risk of what that picture shows is raised. Nothing about the reality of this thread is irrational to me as a parent and husband. Comparing a fuel leak in a wreck to a chainsaw without a chain is irrational.

Last edited:
There's been no fuel leaks or fires in the CX-5 since 2013. I'm going to keep driving mine and let my grandsons ride in the backseat with total confidence in the safety of my CX-5.

I took my car in to get the vibrating mirror fixed on my 2014 GT, and the dealership told me about this recall. Informing me that I shouldn't drive it home till the recall is fixed. So they gave me a loaner which Mazda will pay for. I wasn't given a timeframe on when the fix will happen, but hopefully soon.

Spoke to Corporate and they patched me in with my Dealer (the dealer needed a code from Corporate for the loaner). Picking it up tomorrow as both Corp and the Dealer said the car shouldn't be driven until it is fixed. ETA sometime next week, just waiting on parts.

I understand what both sides are saying in this thread. It is really up to the person and their situation to say if they want to keep driving or not. No one is wrong. I personally have a young child and don't want to take any chances with her or my wife.

Spoke to Corporate and they patched me in with my Dealer (the dealer needed a code from Corporate for the loaner). Picking it up tomorrow as both Corp and the Dealer said the car shouldn't be driven until it is fixed. ETA sometime next week, just waiting on parts.

I understand what both sides are saying in this thread. It is really up to the person and their situation to say if they want to keep driving or not. No one is wrong. I personally have a young child and don't want to take any chances with her or my wife.

That's interesting. So is the corporate position that everyone should stop driving their CX-5's? I suspect it is a CYA response where if someone asks they pretty much have to say that. In reality it may be more of a 'if you're not comfortable with it bring it in and we'll get you a loaner'. I think we should all do what we're comfortable with, and I absolutely can't blame you, AJ_Greiner.

That's interesting. So is the corporate position that everyone should stop driving their CX-5's? I suspect it is a CYA response where if someone asks they pretty much have to say that. In reality it may be more of a 'if you're not comfortable with it bring it in and we'll get you a loaner'. I think we should all do what we're comfortable with, and I absolutely can't blame you, AJ_Greiner.

Thank you. This is something where you are leaving fate up to others on the road. You can drive as careful as you can and still have someone who is careless rear end you. That said I get that others don't want to give up their cars until they know how long it will be before they fix it. Also my thinking is if I get my car there now I can get it fixed quicker than trying to book an appointment after the fix is released. They won't sit on my car while I have the loaner.

Thank you. This is something where you are leaving fate up to others on the road. You can drive as careful as you can and still have someone who is careless rear end you. That said I get that others don't want to give up their cars until they know how long it will be before they fix it. Also my thinking is if I get my car there now I can get it fixed quicker than trying to book an appointment after the fix is released. They won't sit on my car while I have the loaner.

Getting a loaner is a no-brainer. You get free miles in terms of odometer reading, oil/filter, tires, etc.

Yeah I don't know what to do myself. Being that it's a concern about being read ended, its not up to us. It's how safe other drivers are. What loaner are they giving you?

Yeah I don't know what to do myself. Being that it's a concern about being read ended, its not up to us. It's how safe other drivers are. What loaner are they giving you?

Not sure but Corporate said if they don't have a loaner to give me it will be a rental at no cost to me.

Since we have two separate threads going on the subject, I'll post this here too for some perspective:

Get a grip people!!! (gah)

I just crunched a few numbers.

One million CX-5 had been constructed last May (almost a year ago), so just for the sake of simplifying things, let's say we have one million CX-5 on the road with an average of 20k miles on them (older models will have more, newer will have less). That means that there has been 20 billion miles driven in CX-5s with not a single incident. So as it stands right now, assuming that the very next mile driven in any CX-5 anywhere in the world results in death or injury because of this, you still have one chance in 20 billion of hurting you kid by driving him/her to school or to the groceries. And since I doubt the next mile driven by a CX-5 will result in death or injury, these odds actually are getting better in your favor with each passing minute that goes by from the moment I post this!

Now, in any given hour, someone has an average of one chance in 6 billion of getting struck by lightning. That' worse than driving a mile in a CX-5!

For the love of God, please stop bringing your kids to the park! Oh the humanity! (nailbyt)

Get a free loaner from the dealer just because you can if you want to, but stop kidding yourselves that you are protecting anyone by doing so. I'll be taking my chances with my AWD CX-5 with Nokian winter tires in today's snow storm, thank-you...

Called my dealer to confirm if they heard anything, and yes there will be an official recall with repairs done to my 2016 model.

However, I agree with vroom above, this is a preventive measure and risks are fairly low from what we know. So I won't give up on driving my 2016 CX-5 until then. I have driven a 2013 CX-5 up to 85000km with no safety issues whatsoever..

Knowing this, a stop sale from Mazda is a good preventive move, even if this will most likely hurt sales...

Back