New MSP parts?

mattxhand

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
If you guys couuld choose one new or revised part for the MSP(exhast, manifolds, etc) to be developed, what would it be?

t3 manifold + 3" downpipe combo. speedcircuit finally has something close to that, but it costs a fortune. the steedspeed is a nice mani but i dont want a manifold that costs as much as my car. (well, ex-car. sold now.)

If there was a choice on something being changed str8 from the factory in 2003 from a protege,I would say the dam hesitation,end links,bushings(clunk noise),and a couple of other things. Lol

If you think about it the SpeedCircuit kit dowdy cost that much if you take into account of the quality of parts.

Major components are made of stainless steel, it comes with everything needed for a full install (besides engine management) the kit can fit most goals people
Shoot for while being highly reliable.

bottom ends and transmission gears.

Your at about 2500 bare bones forged bottom end w/self assembly.

If you want a built transmission your looking at 5k.

i had one :D really showed off the watermelon sized turbo i had. and the speedcircuit kit is $4000. you can get a whole MSP for that. is it a rip off? not really -- you do get a lot of things (and brand new retail is NOT cheap) -- but the kit literally costs the same as the cars its going on.

Stout engine internals and a stronger tranny. The turbo assembly has decent potential as is, especially with a few bolt-ons, but without stronger internals you simply can't take advantage of the turbo.

Whats the point in this thread... is someone goign to start making crap or is it just to talk about all the downfalls of the MSP?

Here is my list

Stronger engine(read forged and somewhat balanced at least) and trans factory(yes LSD is included)
Better turbo placement to allow for a 3" dp easier
aftermarket support for tuning options via OBD port
A intercooler system that isnt made out of ******* plastic... not to sure what the company was thinking on that one.
better motor mounts better exhaust that stays all the same damn size and doesn't go into 4/5 different sizes with hi-flow cats...

And just for the hell of it RWD or AWD! lmao

Edit: You have to keep in mind people that the car was only designed to run 6/7lbs of boost end of story... so we obviously are goign to have TONS of down falls. We didnt get lucky like the SRT4 guys and got a over engineeried car.

Last edited:
I'm not pointing out the downfalls of this car. Every car has some.

What I'm trying to get out of this is some feedback. I recently got in contact with SURE Motorsports (they do a lot of work for the 3's and 6's), and asked them why they don't do anything for the MSP. They said that if there was a particular demand for something, that we could work something out.

They focus on motor mounts, IC pipes, shift weights, etc. I was thinking more along the lines of a cheaper FMIC setup (Corksport's is $1000-ish) or a tubular exhaust mani like the Thunder or the MAM. I really want us to have a new, cheaper, more efficient product that mostly everyone will use.

I'd love to talk to them about a forged engine or rebuilt tranny, but they would spend $20k on R&D, but maybe 2 or 3 people would buy it.

So for now let's focus on this. Would you guy's rather have a tubular mani or a new FMIC kit?

Back