new ms3 overheated!?!?!

marashka

:
08 CB MS3
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMarat%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> So leaving work last night, and after 10-15 minutes of very passive driving (boosted only once to pass) at a steady 45, I notice that my temp gauge is 2 degrees from H. !!!!!!!!(wow)
I slow down, turn my heater on full blast and it slowly goes down to normal pull over, not shutting the car off, turn the heater off and sure enough temp climes back up Called Mazda roadside assistance and had it towed to a dealer. Never had any heating issues with any of previous 5 mazdas, except for a hot side supercharged non IC miata but that thing had over a 100k, and after getting double capacity radiator all heat troubles went away. This car I have only had for 2 month, put 1500 miles on it and did not even have a chance to mod anything, partially thanks to never ending BO on Cobb sri.(rockon)
Dealer most likely have will have no time for my car till Monday - I am frustrated, inconvenienced, annoyed, and most of all slightly disappointed. (rant)
What could possibly be the problem with such a new car??? My only guess is a thermostat...

Anyway, now I am enjoying an extremely exciting performance vehicle called Honda insight with stats of avg 45mpg, and 0-60 in enough time to make an omelet. I miss my ms3.... badly.
end ranting / venting

Wow, that's pretty nuts. I don't know why it would be overheating like that at all.

I feel your pain on the whole Cobb issue too. But atleast it happened for the mods. I'd love to hear their explanation that the intake caused over heating.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CMarat%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Anyway, now I am enjoying an extremely exciting performance vehicle called Honda insight with stats of avg 45mpg, and 0-60 in enough time to make an omelet. I miss my ms3.... badly.
end ranting / venting

lol funny.

Could be alittle air in the system that Mazda never bled out at the factory.

Thanks for replying, guys.
Just got a call from the dealer.... it was a freakin' thermostat that got stuck. I guess those are made in (insert cheapest outsourcing place on earth) now... to fail so soon.

I am just glad they were able to fix it right away, and hopefully no damage from heat was done to the engine.

are you saying the dealership gave you a HONDA insight as your loaner car while its there waiting until monday? I would think mazda would give you a mazda as the rental car.

Well you would be the first that I have seen on the forum with a stuck thermostat. So I don't think it's common or you should worry about it happening again. Glad they took care of it so quickly. Also, good thinking on turning on the heater. I doubt you had any damage.

Good thing it was "just" the thermostat. I also seriously dobut there was any harm done to the engine. It it was still within the parameters, and I'm guessing modern cars should have no problems going maybe even a bit beyond the H part of the dial. When I went driving in a track last summer in Phoenix the car(not mine) would be on the upper quarter of it's temp range from the 3rd lap onwards(and if you were unsympathetic with the car, it would be overheating by 5 laps), never did any of the cars so much as hiccup because of the temps afterwards.

Good thing you caught the problem on time!

At 400 miles my car would not start, had to have it towed to the dealer and they found the clutch interlock switch to be faulty. So I recieved a Colbalt as a rental (worse car ever) and got it back in two days. After that my car has been flawless. I think its just one of those things.

are you saying the dealership gave you a HONDA insight as your loaner car while its there waiting until monday? I would think mazda would give you a mazda as the rental car.

Had my ms6 at the dealer this week for a day and a half for a bad power steering pump, they gave me an accord, which i am now very efficient at doing a 360 without leaving the road. lol(first)

At 400 miles my car would not start, had to have it towed to the dealer and they found the clutch interlock switch to be faulty. So I recieved a Colbalt as a rental (worse car ever) and got it back in two days. After that my car has been flawless. I think its just one of those things.
Not to be off topic but what happened to your car when you had an issue with that clutch interlock switch?

kudos for doin the exact order of things you should do when your car starts to show signs of overheating. Glad they got things fixed right away.

Insights are actually pretty cool cars but definately not in the same realm as your ms3.

my car overheated late in the evening and service department was already closed so i could not get the rental that night. I had to borrow one of family's car to get to work next morning... the only one available - insight. It actually is not bad car at all, but once you are addicted to the ms3 torque, it seems like anything else just does not accelerate.... especially hybrid honda. I seriously felt like opening the door and pushing off with my foot, just to give it a little extra go :)

Well you would be the first that I have seen on the forum with a stuck thermostat. So I don't think it's common or you should worry about it happening again. Glad they took care of it so quickly. Also, good thinking on turning on the heater. I doubt you had any damage.

I searched before posting this, and realized that NOBODY posted about an overheated ms3 before. Makes me feel sooo special hahaha.
Service adviser told me that he seen many of regular 2008 3's with stuck thermostats, although this was the first ms3.... i guess just a defective thermostat batch. I dont know if i should believe the guy though..I wanted to get an oil change while at the dealer, and he told me that Mazda recommends regular oil for our ms3s, and refused to change my oil with synthetic....so obvioulsy i told him not change the oil, and his level of experteese fell to the floor in my eyes.
Heater at full blast while there is 97 degrees outside = not much fun at all btw ...

Good thing it was "just" the thermostat. I also seriously dobut there was any harm done to the engine. It it was still within the parameters, and I'm guessing modern cars should have no problems going maybe even a bit beyond the H part of the dial. When I went driving in a track last summer in Phoenix the car(not mine) would be on the upper quarter of it's temp range from the 3rd lap onwards(and if you were unsympathetic with the car, it would be overheating by 5 laps), never did any of the cars so much as hiccup because of the temps afterwards.

Good thing you caught the problem on time!

Yeah, i dont think any harm was done cause i caught it before it went all the way to H... Still can you imagine someone who is not as careful at monitoring their gauges, and relalizing that the car runs hot only when its too late? Engine head warps all because of freaking thermostat. Not somthing you'd expect on a BRAND NEW car. I mean, sure warranty would take care of it, but it would not be the same day repair.

Haha, Cobalt imo is still better than insight... although i only spent a gallon of gas for my 20 mile each way commute to work I am not expecting the car to be absolutely defect free of course, but locked thermostat can cause so much damage potentially... i just hope mazda was more careful / lucky with other components.

kudos for doin the exact order of things you should do when your car starts to show signs of overheating. Glad they got things fixed right away.

Insights are actually pretty cool cars but definately not in the same realm as your ms3.

Thank you :), i delt with overheating cars before, just never a brand new one lol. As far as insight goes... its sweet as a daily commuter cause it makes you feel you cheating the oil industry. Also it has stickers that allow you here in CA to park free on meters and use carpool lane by yourself... But once you are used to the GO provided by 280 lb of tq... its just so frustratingly slooowwwww. I went from MSP to supercharged miata to ms3, and Insight's performance just doesnt fit in there.

Back