03/24/10 Edit:

Swap is done!!!!

Starting out with the car on wood so I can get the jack under. Hood off already

Valve cover, intake, battery out

Old motor and trans out

Nice big hole to fill

New motor ready to go

She's ready to roll!!!

So I have sourced a brand new, 0 miles motor for a really good deal. (eekdance)

Before I put it in the car, I want to get some small mods done to it to maybe give the car a little more pep, but more so to make it more reliable.

The reason I got a new motor? My current one burns about 1qt ever 1k miles and I am at about 105K total. The opportunity presented itself, so I jumped.

I am not boosting my car, just keeping her a reliable daily driver.

I may be leaving some things out, so please help with any suggestions.

I will update this thread with pics and info as the build progresses. This should be a fun couple of months.

0 Miles FSDE - purchased
Prosport Amber Oil Pressure Gauge - Received
Oil pressure sender fitting - Received
Prosport Amber Volt Gauge - Received
AWR Oil Pan - Received
Clean EGR Valve
Remove VTCS - MP3 Intake manifold - Received
Spark plugs - NGK Iridium - Ordered - Received
Millenia PCV - purchased
Injectors - Used set - Sent payment, will send to get cleaned and blueprinted - Received
Denso Plugwires - Ordered - Received
Denso Boots - Ordered - Received
Goodridge clutch line - Black - Received
Samco radiator hoses - Black - Ordered
Front OEM Motor Mount - Ordered - Received
Rear OEM Motor Mount - Ordered - Received
RR-Racing front/rear motor mount inserts - Ordered - Received
Outlaw Engineering thermoblock IM spacer kit - Received

GASKETS
Intake Manifold - Received
Intake Plenum - Received and installed
Throttle Body - Received
Exhaust Manifold - Received

Current performance-ish stuff
MP3 ECU
Racing Beat catback
Intake snorkel delete
AWR side inserts
AWR front/rear 70 duro mounts - replacing with OEM mounts with RR inserts

I am also getting an upgraded transmission, but that is already sorted out:

MSP Transmission with welded LSD - Received
NSN 5th gear swap - being swapped into trans before shipping
Exedy OEM Replacement clutch - Received
Mazdaspeed Flywheel - Received
Kartboy short shifter and bushings - installed

I want to do this right the first time so all suggestions/comments are welcomed!

02/18/10 Update:

Made some progress and took some pics of parts that are waiting for the install

Gauge cluster surround, Prosport oil pressure and volt gauges, and stealthmode performance oil pressure adapter

IMG_0754.jpg

Brand new Perrin fuel rail, deatschwerks cleaned and balanced P5 injectors, ARP exhaust manifold studs, Goodridge stainless clutch line, Denso plug wires and boots, NGK Iridium spark plugs

IMG_0757.jpg

Painted MP3 intake manifold with new center gasket (2 coats VHT flameproof, then 2 coats VHT wrinkle)

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

Last edited:
i contacted cork sport on the mazdaspeed flywheel, and its not much lighter than stock. by 3 or 4 pounds.i would recomend a fidanza if your looring for faster revs

i contacted cork sport on the mazdaspeed flywheel, and its not much lighter than stock. by 3 or 4 pounds.i would recomend a fidanza if your looring for faster revs

Yeah I know. I daily drive my car and a 7lb flywheel compared to the stock 20lb would be ridiculous where I live, especially with all the hills in SF.

This basically just saves me downtime from having to resurface the OE flywheel

I'd be very tempted to get forged components in that new motor since there wouldn't be any machine work needed :)

I couldn't be happier with my stock flywheel...instead of losing traction even sooner!

Edit: scratch all of the above I thought this was a turbo build too... DUH!

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:
What type of exhaust ? Maybe a new mid pipe and cat back. Do you have a after market header ? The stock wires are good enough and do not waste your money expensive iridium plugs. Get a nice set of platinums from NGK and gap them correctly.

What type of exhaust ? Maybe a new mid pipe and cat back. Do you have a after market header ? The stock wires are good enough and do not waste your money expensive iridium plugs. Get a nice set of platinums from NGK and gap them correctly.

You aren't supposed to gap platinum plugs, it damages the tip. I put copper NGK BKRs in my car and it runs great with them. Stock plug gap is .44

Woops forgot to mention I have the racing beat catback and this is an na build. No header or midpipe because of CA smog

******* asshole, I didn't know you got a 0 mile brand new motor AND a welded LSD trans. I'm so jealous :(

all this and no turbo? what a shame

We all know this car does not take well to boost. My next car will be factory boosted and 4wd...

I love my P5 and will keep it forever, as a low and slow daily driver.

You SOB this is like exactly what I'm doing... Why do we have the SAME cars??

(drive2) We need to have a national 22V meet.

Thinking about Mazdaspeed intake/exhaust cams. Any opinions?

Last edited:
I don't know much about cams with these cars, but I think the JDM cams for N/A motors may be better than the turbo mazdaspeed cams. Or you could get EXTREMELY lucky and find some twiggy cams.

Definitely not looking to spend twiggy cam money... just thinking about the the JDM cams from corksport/pg.

Hard to find any concrete reviews on them and how much power they make and what they do to mileage

Integrals >>> JDM.

Just search in the naturally aspirated forum. There are several of us who have them already.

Only problem is if you go for the higher end integrals (stage 2 and higher), you'll need engine management and/or cam gears, because they're not good for the idle.

Integrals >>> JDM.

Just search in the naturally aspirated forum. There are several of us who have them already.

Only problem is if you go for the higher end integrals (stage 2 and higher), you'll need engine management and/or cam gears, because they're not good for the idle.

Yeah I don't want to have to deal with of those. I just want something I can drop in and forget about.

Back