New Header for my Mazda!

NeilBey

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just got a new OBX header for the pro'. My question is - where it mounts to the stock midpipe - there are springs on the bolts. what is their purpose?
From what I've come up with, they do the same thing as the flex joint on an aftermarket midpipe. Is this correct? Will my new OBX header bolt right up to that and still be able to use the springs as a flex point for the header-back?

Thanks for any input!

on my header install I reused the springs I dont know what they are for but since they fit back on I put them back on. My biggest problem was the doughnut gasket .To be on the safe side order it and have it in hand just incase you need to replace it and noone around stocks it not even the dealership.

Just put the bolts and springs back where you got them from, everything blots up just the same.

the springs help distribute the pressure throughout the whole flange to create a better seal so that you don't have an exhaust leak

Still get a flex fitting on the midpipe so you don't shake the s*** outta your exhaust or stress welds on the header & exh hangers. Didn't have one for a while on my midpipe & it sucked mucho compared to having one on there. Also split a couple of kartboys. If you have aftermarket motor mounts of any type the suck will be magnified exponentially. Still have the spring bolts too. Just keep 'em.

Back