New discovery for the 1.6l guys

Joost27

More Power Made Me Slower
Contributor
:
2000 Mazda Protege ES V6
Alright this was discovered when i just replaced my MAF sensor. If you want a CAI or SRI and dont want the hesitation. Order a MAF for a 2000+ Toyota Celica GT-S. *Note: GT MAF has shown to have issues* Advanced auto parts ordered me a new MAF when mine just died last week, it came to like $75 ($140 up front then when i gave him the old one i got the core charge back). What i recieved was a Toyota MAF sensor made by Denso, its the same one my buddy's Celica GT-S has.

For the last week I have had no hesitation what so ever when in the 2,500-3,500 rpm range with my Injen CAI, i used to have bad enough hesitation where it jerked the car. so for anyone else willing to give it a shot let me know your results.

Update(7/2/2008): still going strong with no hesitation, what so ever.
Update(11/14/2008): still going without issues and loving it.
Update(3/29/2009): Still going strong well as strong as the 1.6 will ever be

Last edited:
umm i think the injen is 2.5" i could measure at some point

if it's anything above stock diameter (2.25") you can expect hesitation and weak idle (at times). the maf is calibrated to meter air in a 2.25" pipe, anything bigger and unmetered air gets thru.

ok, but the Toyota/Denso MAF isnt sensitive to the change, my friend has a CAI on his Celica and his is fine, i now have the same MAF on my car with the CAI and i have no hesitation and perfect idle.

wouldn't that mess up the fuel maps, though since the maf won't be able to measure correctly?

i doubt it will mess with anything. i bought the stock one for $140 @ the stealership, so this should save us some money.

did you reset your ECU?

i just used the OBD-II checker at advanced auto and cleared the CEL that was set off when the old MAF died. I hate to reset the ECU unless i absolutely have to because it runs like crap, and my fuel mileage is affected negatively for almost a hundred miles. As far as i know it doesnt mess with the fuel maps, i dont see how it would, just the signal when it is in open loop is sent to the ECU more accurately from the Toyota/Denso MAF. I have almost 600miles on this MAF now and its still running awesome. Fuel mileage calculated out to around 39mpg, thats mostly highway, but some city driving up here around concord.

sounds good then, good to know since i just got a code for a bad MAF (thumb)

If this is indeed true, I think you just helped a LOT of people. My MAF is pretty crappy with my Injen on. I tried "fixing" it when I did the bike inner tube remedy, but I still get the hesitation like crazy. So I think after I replace my EGR valve (because I got a CEL, "Excessive Airflow"), Im going to replace the MAF as well. Good find!

I installed COSMO racing CAI today and reset my ECU.. after that the idle shakes a lil bit right after you stop but after 2 sec its alright.. i also noticed a pretty small lost between 2k and 3.5k maybe (i have no tach) and after that i feel the pull

Im not sure of the "lost" power between 2k-3.5k its normal or what..

Welcome to the world of 1.6L CAI with the stock MAF sensor. The idle problem will probably go away soon, its most likely being caused by you resetting the ECU. The loss between 2k-3,500rpms is normal for a 1.6l with a CAI and the stock MAF.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of 1.6L CAI with the stock MAF sensor. The idle problem will probably go away soon, its most likely being caused by you resetting the ECU. The loss between 2k-3,500rpms is normal for a 1.6l with a CAI and the stock MAF.

Glad to hear that man! thx

So the pull i feel after 3,500rpms is the gain??

you realize that the stock 1.6l MAF got updated many times to an improved part right? mazda knew there were problems and fixed them! plus they extended the warranty on the original MAF too

you realize that the stock 1.6l MAF got updated many times to an improved part right? mazda knew there were problems and fixed them! plus they extended the warranty on the original MAF too

If you mean an upgraded part for the MAF.. no i didn't know

It funny they never solved the issue then because i had the latest version of the mazda one and had the terrible hesitation problem, so they never corrected it for the CAI, maybe made it better for use with the stock airboxes

also, i believe the extended warranty ended in may of this year or something like that

mazda has no reason to have their maf work on aftermarket parts. most cai have a bigger diameter pipe than stock (2.25"), the maf is not calibrated to read anything different than stock. any intake pipe bigger than stock will lean things out......crappy idle at times, hesitations, throw cel P0171 from unmetered air getting thru.

how do you guys know you are lean at certain ranges, wb02?

i have an idea to check how lean or rich the car is, i'll get the air/fuel pressure gauge.. that simple

If the car needs more or less fuel i may get a fuel pressure regulator

what you guys think?

Latest posts

Back