New CX-7 Spy Shots and Info!

Antoine

Administrator
Spy Shots: 07 Mazda CX-7

A closer look at the Japanese crossover to come.
by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image (2005-08-29)

At last January's North American International Auto Show in Detroit , Mazda showed its MX-Crossport concept vehicle, and noted that such a sporty crossover vehicle was definitely headed to production. More recently, Mazda announced that the new SUV would be named the CX-7. Now these latest photos capture a prototype CX-7 undergoing testing in the U.S. southwest.

Unlike our previous photos, which caught a test mule vehicle, this prototype uses the final production body panels, wheels, etc. What is most surprising about the CX-7 is how very stylish and sporty-looking it is - just like the MX-Crossport at the auto show. Normally concept cars have futuristic styling that is greatly toned-down when the vehicle is redesigned for production. Not this time! The production CX-7 keeps the bold wheel arches, the upsweeping beltline, the steeply sloping windshield, in fact the entire style of the MX-Crossport intact. The only changes to be seen are minor ones like the absence of a clear plastic panel over the rear license plate.

Just one look at the big alloy wheels and low-profile tires is all it takes to know that this SUV is made to tear up twisty highways, not to go off-road climbing over boulders. Indeed Mazda has already made it clear that the CX-7 will have the utility of an SUV, but the handling dynamics of a sports sedan.

The size of the CX-7 will likely be similar to the MX-Crossport concept vehicle, which is 182.3 inches in length, 76.0 inches wide, and 64.2 inches high, riding on a wheelbase of 110.0 inches. The engine will likely be a 3.0- to 3.5-liter V-6. A late 2006 or early 2007 introduction is expected.

OMG I SO want one!!

If the price is right (4cyl...but turbo might make it super $$$$?!?), I will definitely want to get this after my Mazda 5 lease is over.

Back