New CX-5 Carbon Edition owner

:
'21 CX-5 CE-T
Hello, after many years messing with/modifying a manual trans Honda CR-V, and many more years messing with and modifying a manual trans Audi A4, I was looking for a new/reliable car.

I had so much trouble finding anything manual/awd, I switched to looking for anything with a real automatic (non-CVT). I completely bypassed mazda, assuming that the offerings were CVT, slow and boring.

Eventually I did a little research, and realized it was quite the opposite! These cars are actually pretty impressive!

After a bit of a debacle with the dealer (discrepancies between what inventory the dealer website said vs what was really there), I now have a 2021 Carbon Edition Turbo awd.

I'm pretty sure that this is probably the best 'deal' out there for a 'fun-ish', 'fast-ish', awd, reliable car.

I'm really trying to hold back on the mods, as this is the newest car I've ever had (it had 1.8 miles on it when I drove it off the lot a few months ago). But, I've been doing WAY too much research and contemplation between intakes, exhausts, tunes, wheels, suspension, etc.

Being an 'old school' forum-geek, I have spent WAY too much time lurking here and thought I'd actually join. I realize forums aren't as active as they once were. But, I wanted to ask some questions on posts I've been reading.

Pic (like you haven't seen a Carbon Edition CX-5 before...)
20210713_200408.jpg

Purchased the car with roof rails, and had the dealer swap out the black wheels for silver (I'm not a fan of black wheels... and I think I'm the only one.)

So far, I have added weathertech mats, retractable cargo cover, amazon GPS card, CS intake+heatshield (whoosh woosh), and debadged some of the emblems.

It's been a pretty enjoyable car so far, and I'm happy with my new adventure.

Last edited:
⋯ and had the dealer swap out the black wheels for silver (I'm not a fan of black wheels... and I think I'm the only one.)
No, you’re not the only one. I’d swap out the black 19” wheels with the silver ones if the dealer is willing to.

So far, I have added weathertech mats, retractable cargo cover, amazon GPS card, and CS intake+heatshield (whoosh woosh).
The only thing you may regret is the pretty expensive WeatherTech mats. If you do a search in this forum, you’ll find the complaints on half-protected footrest dead pedal, and poor protection around the gas pedal base area.

Congrats!

The only thing you may regret is the pretty expensive WeatherTech mats. If you do a search in this forum, you’ll find the complaints on half-protected footrest dead pedal, and poor protection around the gas pedal base area.
Yea, I saw that after I put them in. There doesn't seem to be a good way to protect around the gas pedal anyway :(. I had them on my Audi, and assumed they'd be sufficient.

Yea, I saw that after I put them in. There doesn't seem to be a good way to protect around the gas pedal anyway :(. I had them on my Audi, and assumed they'd be sufficient.
It’s a shame WeatherTech can’t design a better floor liners for CX-5 in all these years with their higher price.

I got the Weathertech floor mats and cargo liner. I've got to say I am disappointed with the floor mats. In a very short time the driver's side got dirt-stained and I cannot get it clean. And the foot rest is only 1/2 covered.

Not the best buying decision I've made...

Mazda OEM Canadian Premium and 3D MAXpider floor liners can provide better protection for the gas pedal base area with a bit higher lip and curve-around design.

Straight line up on Husky and WeatherTech, but curve around the gas pedal base on 3D MAXpider and Mazda OEM Canadian Premium. This’s one area to tell which one is better made.

had the dealer swap out the black wheels for silver (I'm not a fan of black wheels... and I think I'm the only one.)
Add me to the list of those who'd take the silver wheels over the black wheels.

Mazda OEM Canadian Premium and 3D MAXpider floor liners can provide better protection for the gas pedal base area with a bit higher lip and curve-around design.
2 years in I'm very pleased with the Mazda OEM Canadian floor liners for the reasons stated above. Also because of how they fully cover the dead pedal. I also prefer the way they look.

I loved my Mazda Canada OEM mats in my CX5. Ended up giving them to a doctor at work when I got rid of mine. They are the best option out there.

Hello, after many years messing with/modifying a manual trans Honda CR-V, and many more years messing with and modifying a manual trans Audi A4, I was looking for a new/reliable car.

I had so much trouble finding anything manual/awd, I switched to looking for anything with a real automatic (non-CVT). I completely bypassed mazda, assuming that the offerings were CVT, slow and boring.

Eventually I did a little research, and realized it was quite the opposite! These cars are actually pretty impressive!

After a bit of a debacle with the dealer (discrepancies between what inventory the dealer website said vs what was really there), I now have a 2021 Carbon Edition Turbo awd.

I'm pretty sure that this is probably the best 'deal' out there for a 'fun-ish', 'fast-ish', awd, reliable car.

I'm really trying to hold back on the mods, as this is the newest car I've ever had (it had 1.8 miles on it when I drove it off the lot a few months ago). But, I've been doing WAY too much research and contemplation between intakes, exhausts, tunes, wheels, suspension, etc.

Being an 'old school' forum-geek, I have spent WAY too much time lurking here and thought I'd actually join. I realize forums aren't as active as they once were. But, I wanted to ask some questions on posts I've been reading.

Pic (like you haven't seen a Carbon Edition CX-5 before...)
View attachment 303467
Purchased the car with roof rails, and had the dealer swap out the black wheels for silver (I'm not a fan of black wheels... and I think I'm the only one.)

So far, I have added weathertech mats, retractable cargo cover, amazon GPS card, CS intake+heatshield (whoosh woosh), and debadged some of the emblems.

It's been a pretty enjoyable car so far, and I'm happy with my new adventure.
Do you feel the CS intake really made a difference?

I loved my Mazda Canada OEM mats in my CX5. Ended up giving them to a doctor at work when I got rid of mine. They are the best option out there.
I completely agree. The are elegant, impeccably fit, and seem luxury.

And I've managed to tear he surface of mine a bit on the drivers side, probably because it gets vacuumed about once a year. Still, I highly recommend them.

Picked up some sun shades for the rear windows.

Mixsuper Custom Fit for Sun Shade Mazda CX-5 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 CX5 Side Window Shade Magnet Mesh UV Rays Protection 6 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

They fit well, and add to the privacy of the privacy glass. Not sure if the shades on the front windows are legal in my state, and I'm not going to test it. However, I would like to tint the front windows slightly at some point.

Hi, are you me? :p

I think this quote is pretty much dead on, coming from a Mustang in 6-speed manual and looking for a fun ride in the SUV category.

I just placed an order for a 2021 Carbon Turbo AWD that should be arriving this weekend. I've got the WeatherTech mats and Amazon SD card en route, but I wanted to ask you about de-badging the emblems, since I'm considering doing that myself: which ones did you end up removing?

I ask because I'm looking to get as much removed as possible but I'm getting mixed answers from Mazda part shops around me about which badges are covering holes and which aren't. Curious what your approach was.

If I can't remove a badge, I'd like to have it blacked out.

⋯ I just placed an order for a 2021 Carbon Turbo AWD that should be arriving this weekend. I've got the WeatherTech mats and Amazon SD card en route
WeatherTech mats again? See post #2 above.

And Amazon SD card?

PSA - Mazda looking for navigation SD cards?

For de-badging, all of the emblems appear to be pinned on CX-5 except for the “AWD” emblem. You can always go to parts department of the Mazda dealer to verify.

Re: WeatherTech, I skimmed the forum, I get that they're not perfect but they're better than stock and the ones I had on my Mustang were well worth the spend, so we'll see how far this gets us.

Thanks so much for the link, sounds like the SD card might be more trouble than it's worth... do you happen to know if there's a way to map the dedicated nav button on the center console to open something specific, say Google Maps? If I'm not gonna use the OEM nav, I'd like to keep the quick launch functionality.

Back