New 2023 Machine Grey CX-5 owner

Hello guys,
Sold my dd Cruze and traded in my F150 for a new 2023 CX-5 Turbo in machine grey. 500 miles so far and things have been great. Added some 3D maxpider mats and go for tint next week. Still running it nice and easy till I get a few tanks of gas through it. I do hope mpgs go up a bit once it loosens up. Went and got the window sticker laminated. Here are some of my favorite pics so far.

Attachments

• 20230911_185652.jpg
    20230911_185652.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20230911_194710.jpg
    20230911_194710.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 20230912_115843.jpg
    20230912_115843.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230921_094727.jpg
    20230921_094727.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Congrats! I’ve got about 1100 miles on mine now. 1st couple tanks I got about 25 mpg, and my last tank I got 26.8 mpg (manual calculation) despite the guessometer saying 25.6 mpg. If I wanted great gas mileage I guess I would’ve bought that new Prius that I test drove though lol!

Have fun with it and enjoy. It hasn’t failed to bring a smile to my face yet punching it on the mountain drive home. I waited until 600+ miles before pushing it harder per the manual myself.

Congrats! I’ve got about 1100 miles on mine now. 1st couple tanks I got about 25 mpg, and my last tank I got 26.8 mpg (manual calculation) despite the guessometer saying 25.6 mpg. If I wanted great gas mileage I guess I would’ve bought that new Prius that I test drove though lol!

Have fun with it and enjoy. It hasn’t failed to bring a smile to my face yet punching it on the mountain drive home. I waited until 600+ miles before pushing it harder per the manual myself.
I got 35 mpg in my cruze going to work and back (66 miles) and knew I wouldn't achieve that getting the cx5 but liked that it had a lil more power for daily driving duties. I have 2 vettes so those are the fun cars that Idc about mpgs.

Hello guys,
Sold my dd Cruze and traded in my F150 for a new 2023 CX-5 Turbo in machine grey. 500 miles so far and things have been great. Added some 3D maxpider mats and go for tint next week. Still running it nice and easy till I get a few tanks of gas through it. I do hope mpgs go up a bit once it loosens up. Went and got the window sticker laminated. Here are some of my favorite pics so far.

I suggest PPF for the front 1/4 to 1/2 of the hood
Spend the extra $$ and do the whole hood. I learned the hard way.
I did the first third of the hood on my 2017 6, and there are more than a few nicks on the upper part of the unprotected section of the hood. I hate the look.
I have a 2023 Stinger as well now, and did the whole front bumper and the entire hood.
I would not do a partial hood again.

I got a quote today. $1000 for front bumper, 18" up hood and fenders basically coming over from hood. Imagine a straight line. Takes it a little past back point of headlights. Whole hood and fenders and bumper is $1250
Thoughts? 10 yr warranty

Thoughts?
I like my car looking decent but (for me) these are go-cars not show-cars. No way I'm dropping thousand(s) of dollars for PPF. I'll dab some chip paint on the many rock hits from time to time and call it good.

But if it makes you happy go for it 👍.

I got a quote today. $1000 for front bumper, 18" up hood and fenders basically coming over from hood. Imagine a straight line. Takes it a little past back point of headlights. Whole hood and fenders and bumper is $1250
Thoughts? 10 yr warranty
My 6 is also machine grey, and is very soft and susceptible to chipping. Actually, all of Mazda's paint is crap, so I highly recommend you spend the extra money and do the whole hood.
Take my advice.. After six years of driving with only the front third done, it was a mistake.
BTW, my Stinger was $1500 (cdn), so $1250 is a fair price.

I think it depends a lot on where you live/drive and the condition of the roads. I live in a small city of about 160k in wine country 55 miles north of San Francisco. Most of my driving is around town with a little freeway driving thrown in. I have never felt a need to get PPF and have had very few front end chips on any of my cars. Same goes for my wife who has similar driving habits. I read all those horror stories about poor paint quality and paint chips on Soul Red Metallic when it first debuted. We have had a Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 for three months now and do not have a single chip on the car. I have like three chips on the front end of my 2018 Machine Grey 3!

My 6 is also machine grey, and is very soft and susceptible to chipping. Actually, all of Mazda's paint is crap, so I highly recommend you spend the extra money and do the whole hood.
Take my advice.. After six years of driving with only the front third done, it was a mistake.
BTW, my Stinger was $1500 (cdn), so $1250 is a fair price.

I'll echo @Buzzman12 and recommend skipping the partial application on the hood and fenders - do the whole panel(s). I also did partial PPF on my hood and fenders and the protected areas look brand new after 5 years, but the hood and fenders have some chips, and the line where the PPF ends is really obvious (to me at least). You can touch up the paint if you don't use PPF, but it will always be noticeable on colours like Machine Grey or Soul Red.

I like my car looking decent but (for me) these are go-cars not show-cars. No way I'm dropping thousand(s) of dollars for PPF. I'll dab some chip paint on the many rock hits from time to time and call it good.

But if it makes you happy go for it 👍.
Exactly. Each to their own.
For me, as a person who keeps their cars a long time, it's important that it looks good, and maintains some sort of future trade/sell value. I take pride in my possessions.
My 2 kids are the opposite, and treat their cars (and most of their stuff), poorly.
My oldest son has a two year old Corolla Hybrid that already looks worse than my 6 year old Mazda.
I just don't get it. Cars are a huge investment, so why not care care of it?
As much as it bothers me to see how they treat their stuff, it's not my place to try and lecture or correct them. They are adults. I just bite my tongue.

Back