New 2022 CX-5 Signature Turbo

:
2022 CX-5 SIG
:
2020 MX-5 GT
Got one in Eternal Blue Mica... very rare to see a Signature in this color so we waited to get one without having to pay a stinking ADM.

We traded in a 2020 red GT. This is quite an improvement!
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg

That blue is nice! Congrats on the new ride. Mazda should have been offering body-coloured and gloss black fender trim options from the beginning, it looks really clean!

Stunning! Although I have to admit, that is exactly what I now have order. Great pix! Very jealous here, enjoy that ride!!!!

Thanks for the compliments! This one replaced a 2020 CX-5 GT in Soul Red Crystal Metallic bought 2 years ago to sit alongside my 2020 GT soft top.

Some immediate positive impressions are the greater turbo power and AWD responsiveness, improved suspension damping, quieter cabin, superior Nappa leather on more comfortable seat cushions, better sound system, 360* camera, and the newest generation of Mazda Connect with the larger screen and improved resolution. I also really like the body-colored bumpers, rocker panels, and wheel arch trim. Are you a fan?

IMG_1721.jpg

New 2022 Signature says "Hello!" as we say "Goodbye!" to our trusty 2020 GT.

I wanted a Signature Turbo of that color (Eternal Blue?) but could not find one at MSRP from dealers near me. Best I could do was a white Turbo.

Congrats.

I wanted a Signature Turbo of that color (Eternal Blue?) but could not find one at MSRP from dealers near me. Best I could do was a white Turbo.

Congrats.
I know, with so few Signature models being built it seems like every dealer is padding the MSRP to maximize the profits on the few that they get. I began my search back in February and it wasn't until April that I could finalize an order for my preferred color at a reasonable price. I could have gotten one sooner in any other color for what mine cost but the Eternal Blue we get here in NorCal are mostly non-turbo models, so the wait began.

Very much enjoy your post as I have a dark blue Signature 2020 model year purchased in Colombia and am casually thinking of upgrading to the new model. Will be interesting to see if that color is available to us. Should be though as all CX 5s come here directly from Japan.

That color looks like it would show the splashed up mud less on my unpaved road after rains.

Last edited:
That color looks like it would show the smashed up mud less on my unpaved road after rains.
I haven't seen many CX-5s in this color but all of them I've encountered were dusty and dirty so they appeared more gray than dirty blue. I also had a Miata in the Reflex Blue which is the same blue but toned down to where it displays as more gray than blue in many situations. Both do a good job of covering up the dust & dirt we get here in dry California and I'm sure your Colombian mud would blend in better than it would on a darker or lighter shade. Mine is garaged and since we don't get much rain in the Summer here I can keep it looking fresh & clean by using a spray detailer and California duster.

After 2 weeks with the new Signature I'm continuing to learn how to adjust the personal settings and take advantage of the many new features... still getting the hang of the newest Mazda Connect infotainment system and the better navigation over the one in my MX-5.

With only 400 miles driven so far I've kept inputs mellow until I get to the magic 600, but the AWD advantage in handling makes it so much more fun to pilot around our local mountain roads than our 2020 GT. With the 2WD you could throw the rear end out when cornering hard but the front would be on the verge of understeer. On the Signature you can feel the transfer of energy to the rear which powers you around the apex at a much higher speed, then the front end takes over and pulls the CX-5 through to continue the acceleration... loving that turbo boost when needed.

Mazda's done an excellent job of taking this maturing platform to a higher level, much as they did with the ND2 over the ND1. I can also imagine the CX-50 will see multiple refinements as it ages and should do very well against its competition.

After 2 weeks with the new Signature I'm continuing to learn how to adjust the personal settings and take advantage of the many new features... still getting the hang of the newest Mazda Connect infotainment system and the better navigation over the one in my MX-5.

With only 400 miles driven so far I've kept inputs mellow until I get to the magic 600, but the AWD advantage in handling makes it so much more fun to pilot around our local mountain roads than our 2020 GT. With the 2WD you could throw the rear end out when cornering hard but the front would be on the verge of understeer. On the Signature you can feel the transfer of energy to the rear which powers you around the apex at a much higher speed, then the front end takes over and pulls the CX-5 through to continue the acceleration... loving that turbo boost when needed.

Mazda's done an excellent job of taking this maturing platform to a higher level, much as they did with the ND2 over the ND1. I can also imagine the CX-50 will see multiple refinements as it ages and should do very well against its competition.

You feel confident enough in this SUV to "throw the rear end out when cornering hard"? Coming from three 370z's in a row (read, very low COG) to my first SUV (very high COG) I feel like these things will tip as quickly as "throw the rear end out" even though the lateral g rating is only like 0.78. (so yes, they SHOULD slide first).

I'm planning to lower my 2022 Turbo, increase the spring rate, and go to a wider wheel/tire combo to increase the roll axis 10mm or so. Even then I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.

You feel confident enough in this SUV to "throw the rear end out when cornering hard"? Coming from three 370z's in a row (read, very low COG) to my first SUV (very high COG) I feel like these things will tip as quickly as "throw the rear end out" even though the lateral g rating is only like 0.78. (so yes, they SHOULD slide first).

I'm planning to lower my 2022 Turbo, increase the spring rate, and go to a wider wheel/tire combo to increase the roll axis 10mm or so. Even then I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable doing that.
I've had 4 Miatas over the last 26 years so I'm accustomed to a bit of roll in the corners dps03. I admit, it is somewhat unnerving in a taller vehicle but Mazdas are built for fun and these CX-5s can take some serious input without washing out. I really enjoy the extra power from the turbo engine and the kick that comes from the engagement of the rear wheels in the corners. While I always drive cautiously in inclement weather where AWD is touted as a selling point, the big attraction of the Signature power-train for me was the improved handling it offers during spirited driving. The beautiful mountain roads we have here in Northern California are made for a Miata but when I can't take it this is not a bad option.

That blue is nice! Congrats on the new ride. Mazda should have been offering body-coloured and gloss black fender trim options from the beginning, it looks really clean!
Totally agree. Same goes for other car companies. I'm not currently in the market for another vehicle. But when I am, the 2022 CX-5 Signature is one of the two at the top of my list.

I've had 4 Miatas over the last 26 years so I'm accustomed to a bit of roll in the corners dps03. I admit, it is somewhat unnerving in a taller vehicle but Mazdas are built for fun and these CX-5s can take some serious input without washing out. I really enjoy the extra power from the turbo engine and the kick that comes from the engagement of the rear wheels in the corners. While I always drive cautiously in inclement weather where AWD is touted as a selling point, the big attraction of the Signature power-train for me was the improved handling it offers during spirited driving. The beautiful mountain roads we have here in Northern California are made for a Miata but when I can't take it this is not a bad option.
While the CX5 is lower to the ground than other SUV's and you can push it to it's limits more so than other SUV's, it can still rollover. While not aware of the exact circumstances(speed, terrain, slope, highway curvature, etc.), I've seen a rollover wreck at the junkyard so it is possible. Safety ratings aside, be careful out there.

EDIT: per NHTSA the rollover risk % is 17 %.

Last edited:
While the CX5 is lower to the ground than other SUV's and you can push it to it's limits more so than other SUV's, it can still rollover. While not aware of the exact circumstances(speed, terrain, slope, highway curvature, etc.), I've seen a rollover wreck at the junkyard so it is possible. Safety ratings aside, be careful out there.

EDIT: per NHTSA the rollover risk % is 17 %.

I just (as in yesterday) lowered (about 1.75" per corner), and got wider wheels/tires (245/45R20 on 8.5" wheels at stock offset) for my 2022 CX-5 Turbo due to my (perhaps undo) fear of rollover.

FWIW, this is an excellent article on how sticky tires impact rollover: Tire Characteristics and Rollover

Not exactly what I would have expected...very interesting.

I just (as in yesterday) lowered (about 1.75" per corner), and got wider wheels/tires (245/45R20 on 8.5" wheels at stock offset) for my 2022 CX-5 Turbo due to my (perhaps undo) fear of rollover.

FWIW, this is an excellent article on how sticky tires impact rollover: Tire Characteristics and Rollover

Not exactly what I would have expected...very interesting.
What springs did you find for a 22 turbo that are only 1.75" drop?

Back