Need help with lock actuator - 2005 Mazda3

2005 Mazda 3 driver side door lock actuator became weak, would not lock or unlock from the key fob. All other power locks are working. I disassembled the door and removed the lock assembly. From online search I found that the small motor can be replaced at low cost, rather than buying an entire mechanical assembly.

I disassembled the actuator assembly, and my BIG MISTAKE was not to take photos of the internal assembly. I assumed my Hanes manual or online forums would have photos or diagrams of how the internals are correctly placed. I was wrong, I can’t find good photos or explanations. So my problem is a white plastic lever and a spring that I do not know where they go. I believe the white plastic lever attaches to the cable from the inside door handle. But I cannot determine where it attaches in the assembly.

Actuator1.jpg

Actuator3.jpg

Actuator4.jpg

Does the slot in the plastic lever attach to the metal arm of the lock? Does not seem to fit well, too loose, no retainer. I am not clear where the plastic lever is supposed to exit the cover. Any help?
Actuator6.jpg

This spring fell out when I separated the outer cover.
I have no clue where this goes. Any help?

This is the only image I could find.

Attachments

• 2005 door laock actuator assy for forim member.jpg
    2005 door laock actuator assy for forim member.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 95
Thanks. I have the door panel disassembled and removed the door lock actuator. Most forums and YouTube videos discuss replacing the entire lock assembly, which is more expensive than replacing the $5 motor.

Yes, thank you! I recently replaced drum brake pads on a truck, and had to check the opposite wheel to determine where the springs go.

I removed the lock actuator from the other side. I figured out where the spring goes. The drivers side actuator has a second metal rod going up to the outside handle that the passenger side does not have. And the passenger side actuator does not have a white plastic lever.
Does anyone know why the drivers side lock has extra parts?

My actuator motors should be delivered next week (from China), so I hope to have this figured out by then.

Back