need HELP with bpv

tuOdekcalB

:
09 Mazdaspeed 3
Hey, the 2 screws that connect the bpv are not holding anymore, I am pretty sure the beginning threads are stripped, they go in nice when I try the holes without the bpv, I think I either need to bring it in the get it fixed or a possible get a longer screw so it can catch before running out of room bc of the bpv. Anyone know what type of screw it is so I can pick up a little longer one?

Take the screw to a parts store and compare it to others to see. Have you taken the bpv off and tried screwing in the screw by hand without the bpv to check the threads?

yea, and it screws in, it is def the beginning threads and the bpv prevents the screw to getting to the good ones because it is so small, a longer screw would def fix the problem i think.

I just messed with my bov this weekend. I took off the bpv and went to put on my bov and one of the screws wouldnt start. So i took it all off and checked to make sure it wasnt cross threading and it wasnt. So i decided to screw it in a little further and grabbed good after the first bit so i dont know what it was but its still holding up. So when you put on the bpv with the screws do they just stay loose?

pretty much, it just the top one, like when I push the bottom screw in(without the bpv) it doesnt go in(threads preventing it) but on the top one, I can push it in a little before the good threads stop it. Also the top screw when I took it out had metal shavings in the threads which I am guessing what stripped it.

Sounds just like what happened to mine other than it was my bottom screw. It wouldnt go in and then when i tried with the bov off it had metal shaving on it but wasnt going in cross threaded so i backed it out and tried it again and it was ok. Hopefully you didnt mess up the threads the screws go into and longer screws work.

same, but i dont think it is mess up since when I screw it in without the bpv it goes all the way down and is very snug in there, doesnt pull out

yup, thought it was my forge bpv that i bought but then I found out it was the screws.

Last edited:
yay, fixed it, just needed a longer bolt, which is by the way a hex bolt M6-1.0 x 30mm. Getting now 14-15 psi in 3rd and 4th. and was very fun testing it out, got some torque steer which was a happy thing. =D

Oh yea i love getting the torque steer, makes me know the car hasnt lost a step. By the way did a regular parts store like auto zone carry the bolt?

yay, fixed it, just needed a longer bolt, which is by the way a hex bolt M6-1.0 x 30mm. Getting now 14-15 psi in 3rd and 4th. and was very fun testing it out, got some torque steer which was a happy thing. =D
I snapped a BPV bolt, not too long ago.The bolt snapped in a way, that I could use a set of pliers to turn it for removal. Pure luck! I took the remaining bolt to Ace Hardware and they matched it up for me.

I just put on a type s and cut off the recirculation and the car feel weird , like I'm laggin more , and it feels like is to rich now . Any Ideas ?

Our cars need that recirculated air. Read below and follow link for a little more info.

"It all boils down to whether or not your car runs on speed density or mass air. If you have a car that is speed density, you will not have a mass air meter. So, effectively, you can run a Blow Off Valve which give off a very loud WHOOSH sound as you shift gears when in boost. A Bypass Valve takes that boosted air its venting, and recirculates it back into the intake. The importance of this on a mass air car is, that air was already metered and counted, therefore, venting that air to the atmosphere will cause your can to go rich. You are effectively removing air once counted and letting it blow in the air, so the car is going to add more fuel thinking that air is still incoming. Many enthusiast prefer the sound of a BOV, but generally they end up doing damage to their catalytic converters because of the rich conditions incorporated into running a VTA ( Vent To Atmosphere ) system on a MAF equipped car."

*link not working*

Hope this helps, you will probably need a tune or reprogram if you want to use a straight BOV, I have a turbosmart BOV and run it at 50/50 with no problems and I still get the awesome woosh sound.

Just read the "sticky" thread right above this one.

Cut to the chase: use the stock bpv in full recirc. It works best. Period.

Last edited:
Man I finally had some time to hook it up on the scanner , I also looked at some post of ppl that closed their bov line and their cars run fine , oh well not my story , it was lean and everything that comes along with that CEL, hesitation, bugging , I guess is gonna have tO stay recirculated until I Can tune it , maybe it would sound better after I put the CAI, damn I went thru a mission tO fix that type S

Latest posts

Back