Need help troubleshooting Keyless System Malfunction after disconnecting Fortin Evo-One

Are you absolutely sure you checked all the right fuses both inside the cabin and under the hood?

Try disconnecting both positive and negative terminals at the same time and leave it for a bit as well first.

Come to think of it, I don’t recall removing either terminal from my battery when I installed the Evo. I was in an AirBnB at the time and didn’t have all my tools with me so didn’t want the hassle. I don’t quite understand how uninstalling that would have caused all these issues. What code scanner do you have? One of mine can read just drivetrain related codes while my other one can read everything as well as reset even saved codes and test individual actuators and such. Both made by the same company but one just isn’t capable of reading Mazdas very well
I have a Bluetooth OBDII module and use Torque Pro. I think it can only read engine codes.

I have a Bluetooth OBDII module and use Torque Pro. I think it can only read engine codes.
If you have no resolve after my other suggestions then replace the battery. In order to clear the modules, you need a good scan tool like the Autel I mentioned. You have to start there and reset them to see if the problem still manifests if you have tried everything else and still have the issue even after battery replacement.

Are you absolutely sure you checked all the right fuses both inside the cabin and under the hood?

Try disconnecting both positive and negative terminals at the same time and leave it for a bit as well first.
Yea I've checked all the mini fuses in both panels. I'm not sure if I've missed anything but they all looked fine and I don't know how to check the relays or which one.

I'm looking other threads for the keyless system malfunction they are mostly car battery issue or door panel corrosion. I'm not sure if I bring it back to Autozone I can convince them issue with battery that it tested ok with their scanner and car was able to start. Though this morning with the cold start the car felt like it took and extra second or half to crank.

I may try disconnecting both terminals later. After disconnecting the negative for 4 hours last night, I found some settings still retained like fav radio station and bluetooth pairing.

Feeling dumber now that I just learned the emission inspection allows one system to be not ready to pass. I had 2 systems not ready due to Fortin remote start reseted the ECU. All I had to do was to drive a bit and re-start the car normally to get the Catalyst monitor ready and ignore the EVAP.

Now I bricked the car for no reason. FML.

YOU didn't brick the car, Fortin did. Their product is shoddy, big time.

From the horror stories of using that piece of equipment, not just from you, but others as well as my own experience, I would advise anyone to absolutely AVOID that company.

YOU didn't brick the car, Fortin did. Their product is shoddy, big time.

From the horror stories of using that piece of equipment, not just from you, but others as well as my own experience, I would advise anyone to absolutely AVOID that company.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm afraid to touch the car electric after this lol. I like to DIY but ends up BIY (brick it yourself).

How did you make out today brotherman?
Thanks for checking in. Haven't got time to mess with it more so everything stayed the same for now. It's our only car and the wife needs to use it this week so I can't risk to brick it even more lol.

Dealership appointment next week so I'll see if I can get Autozone to let me try a new battery under warranty this weekend which I'm not totally confident that they'll do. And my local Costcos don't sell battery...

I'll try disconnect both battery terminals later this week and see if it will make a difference.

Latest update.

Finally got time to do a finally test. First thing in the morning I went and passed the safety and emission inspection as all systems showed ready.

Got home and disconnected both the positive and negative terminal from the battery. Waited about 30 minutes and reconnected and no luck. Same crap as usual. Took the car out for a short errant and came back for another try replugging the Fortin but no luck and reverted back to factory. I was officially given up at this point and made appointment to dealership on Monday.

Earlier I took the car to pick up my kid from school. I was idling and messing with the infotainment settings since battery reseted it while I was waiting outside the school. The Keyless System Malfunction suddenly disappeared but other lights remained on. I stepped out of the car and was able to lock and open by remote. On the way back I started the car again and all lights went off. AFS works again.

Looks like car is back to normal now and I shouldn't touch the electrical again. Still confused af because I have no idea what I did that fixed it. I have to take it for another drive tonight to confirm things are back to normal like auto high beam, etc.

TLDR
I disconnected the Fortin Evo-One without disconnecting the battery and got Keyless System Malfunction. Tried all different things didn't fix it and it magically started to work one day I have no idea why.

If you have the Fortin Evo-One, just keep in mind that the remote start resets the ECU every time so you should plan ahead with it before hitting the emission inspection.

Last edited:
On a 2013 CX-5 with Fortin remote start installed. I was getting the Not Ready status via Torque Pro OBDII scanner app. Catalyst, O2, and something else.

I can confirm that this would be cleared using the Mazda Drive cycle instructions.

I can also confirm that the drive cycle information will be lost if you use the Fortin remote start.

Solution = Don't use it for 2-3 days prior to getting your Smog test done. No need to disconnect any wiring.

On a 2013 CX-5 with Fortin remote start installed. I was getting the Not Ready status via Torque Pro OBDII scanner app. Catalyst, O2, and something else.

I can confirm that this would be cleared using the Mazda Drive cycle instructions.

I can also confirm that the drive cycle information will be lost if you use the Fortin remote start.

Solution = Don't use it for 2-3 days prior to getting your Smog test done. No need to disconnect any wiring.

Yea I found out that by the hard way.

Back