Need help from CX-90 Owners

EWL5

'23 X3 xDrive30
My wife smashed our '16 GL450 so we are actively looking for a possible replacement. We are considering the CX-90 3.3 Turbo S Prem Plus or CX-90 PHEV equivalent.
As we have never owned a Mazda before, I have some questions to temper expectations before any test drive:

1) Does the infotainment in the CX90 exist in previous Mazdas and does it generally work well?
2) Does Mazda have previous PHEV w/the 4 cylinder or is this just as new as the inline 6?
3) Any idea if the 6 seater offers more comfort to adults in the back compared to the 7-seater?
4) Does the default CX90 build come with non-RFT tires and is a spare tire included (or possible to add an OEM one)?
5) Possible to get w/a Panoramic roof?
6) Any "gotchas" moving to a premium brand for former owners of German luxury?

New member here appreciating how active this Mazda community is! Hope to have some good feedback and be a fellow owner soon!

1) Yes and yes.
2) I remember reading that the PHEV platform is based off a non-USA offering I believe in the cx-60? So its not entirely new, but its not Prius old either.
3) On the S trim levels, the 7 seater is a bench in the second row (only available on Turbo S base), still has two seats in the 3rd. 3rd row seating is comfortable for average sized adults (5'6/5'10) depending on 2nd row seat position (they have sliders/tilt). 2nd row all the way back, I can still fit my legs but its a bit cramped, but the seats themselves are comfortable.
4) Pretty sure all trim levels are non-rft with a spare tire.
5) The panoramic roof is segmented, only the front half opens fully, second half lets in sunlight but doesnt open, this may actually be good for wind noise / buffeting. Might be easier to look at a picture to understand this.
6) Only thing I will mention here is there is a fair amount of first(ish) generation offering for mazda on the CX-90 in terms of the platform itself (MHEV/PHEV), and some tech (full stop and go radar cruise control / LKA / etc. 360 camera / other radar safety monitoring may be new as well), so if you are going with a fully loaded TS PP, I wouldd say make sure you are okay with some growing pains on the new tech ( I am talking things that will likely be improved with software updates). I know it costs a fair amount more in options to get the same tech that is in the CX-90 TSPP into a X3/X5 or Q5/Q7 or Mercedes equiv as I tried to do some good due diligence across SUVs.

ccspeedsix, your feedback is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

a) Since you mentioned possible software updates, does Mazda do it OTA or you have to bring to a dealer?

b) If there was anything you could improve on the CX90, what would it be?

c) Does the top trim have auto-folding 3rd row?

Last edited:
1) According to the menu's it does appear that updates of some kind can come OTA, but I am not sure if this is just infotainment related updates, this may cascade to safety systems as well as the infotainment integration into the safety systems are there. Traditionally, TCM / ECU updates are done directly since there is a higher risk of potentially rendering the system inoperable in the event something bad happens / gets interrupted etc.

2) Going to disclaimer here that YMMV, depending on your needs in a vehicle. I think the CX-90 is a drivers SUV, that is punching above its weight class for the traditional Mazda (in terms of luxury/tech etc). I hope its a huge success for Mazda, because it will help keep the ICE alive even for just a little bit longer. I mean if we could get a 4 cylinder turbo AWD(rwd biased) MHEV in a Mazda 3/6 that would be a fun little car.

I think there are things that will need improvements with regards to things that occur at slower speeds. This is all related to the new platform and hopefully will be smoothed out with a combo of break-in and improvements to software around the iStop/Transmission Clutch pack/electric motor assist/Regenerative Braking systems. All I will say is drive the car on more then just highways, do some driving with more stop and go for a test drive (honestly, id say plan to drive 30-40 miles and try to do a split of higher speed / lower speed / stop and go). Just like anything else, you can get 90% right, but getting the wrong 10% wrong can carry a bigger weight. I think that is what is going on here, Mazda nailed 80-90% of the CX-90, especially for it being an all new platform. I think in order for this platform to have long term success, they are going to have to iron out somethings with the new platform, but given what is there already I think they are up for it.

I do not necessarily think there is anything that would be good to be improved on, that couldn't actually be executed (I.E new hardware / features etc.). Most of my complaints, if they are not just things that will improve with break in, are very likely things that will get fixed with more usage data (again software / tuning related).

I would love if Mazda actually exposed more system status data. Any and all temperature sensors, Manifold pressure/oil pressure, clutch pack status, accelerometer data, power distribution bias both battery voltage levels etc. Its kinda sad my wifes 2019 Subaru Forester can display way more car status data on just one of its small screens then is even available on the CX-90 (fuel economy and if you hunt for it under maintenance is tire pressure). The truck I sold (2016) had a huge list of things I could display. Id say this is probably my biggest disappointment in the car, but I am an engineer and want that kind of data available to me that most people probably do not care about.

I am seeing fuel economy that far exceeds the EPA's 28. Got almost 34 mpg on my commute this am. But I am not quite averaging highway speeds the entire way, and luck is a factor (in terms of stops), but overall I am very happy with the performance / economy package. The engine sounds awesome, when you open it up a little bit and let it breath.

3) Nope, second and third rows are manual. Second row has adjustable slide and tilt, third row is a fixed position seat.

Last edited:
1) According to the menu's it does appear that updates of some kind can come OTA, but I am not sure if this is just infotainment related updates, this may cascade to safety systems as well as the infotainment integration into the safety systems are there. Traditionally, TCM / ECU updates are done directly since there is a higher risk of potentially rendering the system inoperable in the event something bad happens / gets interrupted etc.

2) Going to disclaimer here that YMMV, depending on your needs in a vehicle. I think the CX-90 is a drivers SUV, that is punching above its weight class for the traditional Mazda (in terms of luxury/tech etc). I hope its a huge success for Mazda, because it will help keep the ICE alive even for just a little bit longer. I mean if we could get a 4 cylinder turbo AWD(rwd biased) MHEV in a Mazda 3/6 that would be a fun little car.

I think there are things that will need improvements with regards to things that occur at slower speeds. This is all related to the new platform and hopefully will be smoothed out with a combo of break-in and improvements to software around the iStop/Transmission Clutch pack/electric motor assist/Regenerative Braking systems. All I will say is drive the car on more then just highways, do some driving with more stop and go for a test drive (honestly, id say plan to drive 30-40 miles and try to do a split of higher speed / lower speed / stop and go). Just like anything else, you can get 90% right, but getting the wrong 10% wrong can carry a bigger weight. I think that is what is going on here, Mazda nailed 80-90% of the CX-90, especially for it being an all new platform. I think in order for this platform to have long term success, they are going to have to iron out somethings with the new platform, but given what is there already I think they are up for it.

I do not necessarily think there is anything that would be good to be improved on, that couldn't actually be executed (I.E new hardware / features etc.). Most of my complaints, if they are not just things that will improve with break in, are very likely things that will get fixed with more usage data (again software / tuning related).

I would love if Mazda actually exposed more system status data. Any and all temperature sensors, Manifold pressure/oil pressure, clutch pack status, accelerometer data, power distribution bias both battery voltage levels etc. Its kinda sad my wifes 2019 Subaru Forester can display way more car status data on just one of its small screens then is even available on the CX-90 (fuel economy and if you hunt for it under maintenance is tire pressure). The truck I sold (2016) had a huge list of things I could display. Id say this is probably my biggest disappointment in the car, but I am an engineer and want that kind of data available to me that most people probably do not care about.

I am seeing fuel economy that far exceeds the EPA's 28. Got almost 34 mpg on my commute this am. But I am not quite averaging highway speeds the entire way, and luck is a factor (in terms of stops), but overall I am very happy with the performance / economy package. The engine sounds awesome, when you open it up a little bit and let it breath.

3) Nope, second and third rows are manual. Second row has adjustable slide and tilt, third row is a fixed position seat.
34 mpg is tremendous for a car this size! I'm getting just a bit better than half of that in the current GL450!

I hear what you're saying about needing more info. In my X3, I can get current elevation, degree of roll and pitch for the car on the current grade, mpg for different driving modes, and other numbers that nerds will love. There's also a built-in stopwatch for lap times but I think Dragy is still the gold standard.

With all the "firsts" that Mazda is putting in, it may be prudent to get an extended warranty for long-term ownership. I've also considered leasing as well just in case the first year doesn't go as planned. Are leasing incentives for Mazda competitive?

I went the extended warranty route, as I hope to keep the vehicle longer then my last at 7 years. I think in general leasing isn't going to be great right now due to cost of capital (interest rates), but its possible to get pretty good loan rates from Mazda financial (better than my bank /CU could get). 3.9% 36 mo / 4.9% 48/60. I think the german brands tend to have better lease options as they are markets that simply get more lease volume.

For the last question, Mazda is not yet a premium brand. Everything will be cheaper than any of the german luxury brand (maintenance, spare parts, etc). The only gotcha I guess would be do not expect the greatest and latest in « gadgets ». Not only is this not a luxury brand, but Mazda is also historically slow at embrancing new tech. They prefer to focus on driving dynamics instead and only usually wait for new tech to be well established before implementing them. Their slow implementation of lane centering is the best example. The exception is the head’s up display, which is really good for its class (haven’t compared it to the german brands though).

The PHEV comes from a partnership with Toyota, i expect some of the electrical components are the same in both brands.

Oh and no auto folding third row, but in my opinion auto folding rows are pretty slow and a bit of a gimmick.

For the last question, Mazda is not yet a premium brand. Everything will be cheaper than any of the german luxury brand (maintenance, spare parts, etc). The only gotcha I guess would be do not expect the greatest and latest in « gadgets ». Not only is this not a luxury brand, but Mazda is also historically slow at embrancing new tech. They prefer to focus on driving dynamics instead and only usually wait for new tech to be well established before implementing them. Their slow implementation of lane centering is the best example. The exception is the head’s up display, which is really good for its class (haven’t compared it to the german brands though).

The PHEV comes from a partnership with Toyota, i expect some of the electrical components are the same in both brands.
Want to punctuate this comment - Mazda isn’t a luxury brand. If you’re coming from luxury, you might find yourself annoyed by the little things that set them apart.

Examples like: the heated steering only warming the handles, the auto start not turning on the AC or heated/cooled seats based on outside temperatures, how adjustments to settings aren’t in the infotainment, but instead require Konami-like “codes” with the switches, and no promised loaner for service.

Want to punctuate this comment - Mazda isn’t a luxury brand. If you’re coming from luxury, you might find yourself annoyed by the little things that set them apart.

Examples like: the heated steering only warming the handles, the auto start not turning on the AC or heated/cooled seats based on outside temperatures, how adjustments to settings aren’t in the infotainment, but instead require Konami-like “codes” with the switches, and no promised loaner for service.
Appreciate the input about the transition from luxury back to mass market. The 3.3 Turbo S still won't be in my area for another couple weeks. Probably for the best as we have put a deposit on a '23 GLS450.

Thanks, everyone!

Oh and no auto folding third row, but in my opinion auto folding rows are pretty slow and a bit of a gimmick.
Choosing either "Max cargo" or "Max passenger" space with a push of a button is so simple though!

To be fair, many non luxury brands have these. Like a 6 yr old CRV has some.

34 mpg is tremendous for a car this size! I'm getting just a bit better than half of that in the current GL450!

I hear what you're saying about needing more info. In my X3, I can get current elevation, degree of roll and pitch for the car on the current grade, mpg for different driving modes, and other numbers that nerds will love. There's also a built-in stopwatch for lap times but I think Dragy is still the gold standard.

With all the "firsts" that Mazda is putting in, it may be prudent to get an extended warranty for long-term ownership. I've also considered leasing as well just in case the first year doesn't go as planned. Are leasing incentives for Mazda competitive?
Well, I'm averaging 66 MPG on my CX-90 PHEV. It rarely needs gas...maybe a few times a year do I fill up.

Toyota owns 10% of Mazda and they partner a lot on their technology like the hybrid stuff from what I heard. My lease on the CX-90 is with Toyota Leasing...since Mazda uses Toyota for their financing and leasing programs.

My wife smashed our '16 GL450 so we are actively looking for a possible replacement. We are considering the CX-90 3.3 Turbo S Prem Plus or CX-90 PHEV equivalent.
As we have never owned a Mazda before, I have some questions to temper expectations before any test drive:

1) Does the infotainment in the CX90 exist in previous Mazdas and does it generally work well?
2) Does Mazda have previous PHEV w/the 4 cylinder or is this just as new as the inline 6?
3) Any idea if the 6 seater offers more comfort to adults in the back compared to the 7-seater?
4) Does the default CX90 build come with non-RFT tires and is a spare tire included (or possible to add an OEM one)?
5) Possible to get w/a Panoramic roof?
6) Any "gotchas" moving to a premium brand for former owners of German luxury?

New member here appreciating how active this Mazda community is! Hope to have some good feedback and be a fellow owner soon!
1. Yes. It works great in my mind. No complaints but I use Apple CarPlay mostly because the interface is so well done.
2. Yes, understand that Mazda is owned 10%+ by Toyota and they share hybrid technology. I trust Toyota completely as they are king of the hill in the world of hybrid excellence. The PHEV is a 4 cylinder and has great amount of torque and power. I have no complaints. I do use premium octane fuel though, but I only fill up the gas twice a year. Mostly all my driving is in EV mode. I like to put it in gas mode once a week to keep the engine warmed up and burn off any water vapors.
3. I did not have an option to have 6 seats. I have the 7 seater but doubt adults can really use that 3rd row. I keep it folded down all the time.
4. Spare is included. I do not understand the term non-RFT tires so I cannot comment. I have the stock tires on the top trim.
5. Yes, I have the Pano roof option
6. I have traditionally stuck to American luxury (Lincoln, Cadillac) so I had to get sell back my Lincoln Corsair due to a recall they could not fix quickly...long story). I took the money and invested in Mazda as I loved the CX-90 that had just come out. The dealer got a hold of an Artisan Red with White interior and a PHEV which sold me as I am rock solid believing in PHEV for now.

ccspeedsix, your feedback is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!

a) Since you mentioned possible software updates, does Mazda do it OTA or you have to bring to a dealer?

b) If there was anything you could improve on the CX90, what would it be?

c) Does the top trim have auto-folding 3rd row?
a. Nope...dealer mostly. I have never seen an update come out when I check on the dash.
b. Not sure I really want anything else. This is the best car I have ever owned in 69 years.
c. Well, you pull a cord and they go down from there. You have to manually pull them back. So, I think the CX-70 has a button to lower the seats so the next version of CX-90 will get that. I leave my third row down 100%.

a. Nope...dealer mostly. I have never seen an update come out when I check on the dash.
b. Not sure I really want anything else. This is the best car I have ever owned in 69 years.
c. Well, you pull a cord and they go down from there. You have to manually pull them back. So, I think the CX-70 has a button to lower the seats so the next version of CX-90 will get that. I leave my third row down 100%.
Thanks for the responses! I ended up getting a GLS450 last summer. The third row on the CX90 was too tight for long road trips!

Back