Need advice with potential dent removal

:
Mazda
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying a three day weekend. I came out to my car to see this after parking. Any idea on a cheap fix? I prefer not to spend money I don't have to fix a cosmetic issue. I appreciate everyone for any helpful advice. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220905_213824687.jpg
    PXL_20220905_213824687.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20220905_213828038.jpg
    PXL_20220905_213828038.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20220905_213832103.jpg
    PXL_20220905_213832103.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 104
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is enjoying a three day weekend. I came out to my car to see this after parking. Any idea on a cheap fix? I prefer not to spend money I don't have to fix a cosmetic issue. I appreciate everyone for any helpful advice. Thanks
Since the paint appears to be intact, I would get an opinion from someone who does paintless dent removal. They could tell you what is possible especially along the fender crease. It's still going to cost you but not as much as typical body work. I was skeptical the first time I had it done & was amazed at the results. It's definitely an art form. It's very interesting to watch the work being done.

Hey guys,

Because the top near the crease looks scrunched in...
Preferably, you should pay the deductible and get it fixed by body shop.
It's may be a $2000 job so let insurance pay for the hit/run.

In the old days we used hot water and toilet plungers to pull it out.
Nowadays they sell auto suction devices so maybe buy one of those. Saw one in autostore and they seem better than a plungers.

If that didnt work, a short 2 x 4 wood block up against the inside lined up @the corner/crease and hit the wood with hammer. This may not be as clean and possibly leave some bare spots in paint as well as the scrunched section near top crease may not straighten out completly.

If a newer car , make the insurance claim.

If over 8 years old, then maybe consider DIY.

Last edited:
Hit and run, use your insurance and pay ded. No way that's coming out with pdr for cheap. On body line and stretched metal = Bondo & paint after working out panel by body guy. Entire quarter needs painting and blending into rear door and roofline. Tail light, all trim and moulding needs to come off, along with quarter glass and wheel well liner for proper repair from a high quality shop. It is a $1500+ job. Eat the deductible. Then go back to parking lot and see if there are any cameras anywhere outside and try to get video from store.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It's a 2018 Sport model and I have a $1000 deducible. As much as I'd like to fix it, it's not my top priority as it's only cosmetic. Upon further inspection, it may appear to be intentional.

Thanks guys! It's a 2018 Sport model and I have a $1000 deducible. As much as I'd like to fix it, it's not my top priority as it's only cosmetic. Upon further inspection, it may appear to be intentional.
Someone ran over my 2018 hood and front fender. Had to have been a big lifted pickup or utility truck. Over $3000 worth of damage.
Both insurance agent and body shop mentioned it lessened value of car by that much and if/when trade in, the value of the car was that much less. At least get the quote.

Hit and run, use your insurance and pay ded. No way that's coming out with pdr for cheap. On body line and stretched metal = Bondo & paint after working out panel by body guy. Entire quarter needs painting and blending into rear door and roofline. Tail light, all trim and moulding needs to come off, along with quarter glass and wheel well liner for proper repair from a high quality shop. It is a $1500+ job. Eat the deductible. Then go back to parking lot and see if there are any cameras anywhere outside and try to get video from store.

Wish it was that easy.

You can try but camera tapes are alot harder to obtain unless you have a lawyer and court order.

Ime, they will tell you to come back with a court order.

Even my insurance company didnt seem too interested to try on my case.

You could try report to police and see if they can obtain video. However i think even police only get video for high profile crimes like kidnap, violence, etc.

And to have a lawyer get the tapes might cost more than the deductible.

As you stated, OP should probably just pay deductible and then move on.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Damn, that's rough. Personally I'd at least show those pictures to a PDR tech to see if they can work it out. Doesn't hurt to try, and it doesn't hurt to ask for a quote either.

I had a nasty dent like that in my Tacomas door a few years ago. PDR did a lot to make it look better but it was still pretty obvious it had been hit. Depends on how tolerant you are. The crease at the top will make PDR very difficult.

Back