Navigation screen tapping accuracy

OMF

:
2007 CX-9 GT AWD
My navigation system tapping accuracy is a few millimetres off. Actually I have to aim a bit above the target I want to hit. I would like to adjust it - as I can adjust my Sony Cli.
Any idea how can I access this function? palm pilot.jpg

Actually, what I am looking for is (I guess) the Test Mode Access Code and screen calibration instructions. The entire DENSO Navigation Service Manual would be even better (RTM), similar to the one I have for the Pioneer Double-DIN Navigation System AVIC-DC1.

Pioneer.jpg setup calibration 1.jpg setup calibration 2.jpg

Last edited:
Finally I figured it out...

What is this all about? The screen calibration process aligns the internal circuits with the touch sensitive screen, so the unit can detect the task/command you want to perform when you tap an element (control box, letter, arrow, map location, etc.) on the screen. If this alignment is off, you will have hard time using the touch screen. You may have to aim a bit below, above, left or right the element you want to activate by touching it. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH YOUR SCREEN ALIGNMENT ACCURACY, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS.

To test your current calibration accuracy, point just inside the perimeter of a few letters of the alphabet in address entry mode, by using your PDA stylus. If the system precisely recognizes your aimed letter, it means your current alignment is OK, don't change it. If this is not the case, read the following.

DISCLAIMER: The following procedure worked perfectly for me, however, use it at your own risk.

Required tool: PDA Stylus (or similar touch sensitive LCD pointing device)

Step 1. Turn the ignition switch to ACC position.
Step 2. Turn the Audio Power ON.
Step 3. With the Audio Power ON, press the POWER button and at the same time press the AUDIO button for about 2 sec, until the Failure Analysis screen pops up.
Step 4. Type in code 84. ("CDCU Panel Setting" function will be selected).
Step 5. Hit ENTER
Step 6. The digitizer calibration screen appears. Rest your hand outside the touch sensitive area, and tap the dead center of the displayed hair-cross symbols using the PDA stylus. Five of them will be displayed, four close to the corners, one in the centre of the screen. Once done, either OK, or NG will show, acknowledge accordingly.
(Note: I had to repeat Step 6 a couple of times until I reached pixel-fine accuracy).
Step 7. To exit the Failure Analysis mode, turn the ignition switch off.
Step 8. Test the achieved calibration accuracy, by pointing just inside the perimeter of a few letters of the alphabet in address entry mode, by using the PDA stylus.
Step 9. Enjoy!

Good luck!

mikkko said:
Did you see any improvements after the calibration ??

Absolutely!!!! It was extremely annoying when I wanted to zoom in or out and the entire map moved instead... Originally the screen was off by 5-6 mm, now it is down to a pixel or so.

Thanks.

I have the same problem so I wil definetively follow your advice.

Do you know what other adjustments are possible. I have posted before the issue of the Navi menus locking while the vehicle is in motion and it would be nice if this can be "re programmed"

Is there a pointer to the navi service manual where you obtained the info from ??

thanks,

mikkko said:
Thanks.

I have the same problem so I wil definetively follow your advice.

Do you know what other adjustments are possible. I have posted before the issue of the Navi menus locking while the vehicle is in motion and it would be nice if this can be "re programmed"

Is there a pointer to the navi service manual where you obtained the info from ??

thanks,

There are several diagnostic features and a few adjustment options. I am not aware of a so called "Navigation Service Manual". It is not even listed among the manuals in your User's Manual - Service Publications section.
The information has been "derived" from Vol 2 of the 2007 CX-9 Workshop Manual (Page 09-02G-1 "On-Board Diagnostic [Audio (Touch Panel Type Audio)]. This particular code (84) is not listed there. What I did was simply entered all possible codes between 00 and 99, and some unpublished functions showed up. This is exactly what I was after, have not checked all features yet.

Are all the "dealer programmable" features listed in the Workshop Manuals? If so, I'd much rather pay once to buy the manuals, than have to pay the dealer each time I want something done!

OMF said:
There are several diagnostic features and a few adjustment options. I am not aware of a so called "Navigation Service Manual". It is not even listed among the manuals in your User's Manual - Service Publications section.
The information has been "derived" from Vol 2 of the 2007 CX-9 Workshop Manual (Page 09-02G-1 "On-Board Diagnostic [Audio (Touch Panel Type Audio)]. This particular code (84) is not listed there. What I did was simply entered all possible codes between 00 and 99, and some unpublished functions showed up. This is exactly what I was after, have not checked all features yet.
OMF,

This is excellent thread for hackers! That menu has a number of other interesting options, such as software versions of various subcontrollers and, most importantly, an option to fully (and I mean FULLY, I don't think I've ever seen this level of adjustability outside the highest end of professional broadcast systems and I am a video engineer) adjust the brightness and other attributes of the displays and the various video paths in the car -- see option 83.

Of particular interest is that there are two sets of settings for displays/video: DAY and NIGHT. All those people that have been complaining about auto headlights going on too early and causing the Nav display to dim to invisibiliy too early can now adjust the NIGHT brightness to suit (yes, there is also the option to press the dim buttom to turn day/night switching essentially off and keep in day mode, but the adjustability of option 83 is much much better, and cooler). For those that are going to hack, don't forget to write down original settings in case you mess something up and want to get back to current settings.

We will shortly need to start another thread and a document purely to fully documents this POWER-AUDIO diagnostic functionality.

Lexx

Lexx,

Any idea if the NAV can be reprogrammed here so that it does not lock some of the fearures while the vehice is in motion ??

OMF - Thanks for the advice , Have recalibrated and it works fine now.

Mikkko

mikkko said:
Lexx,
Any idea if the NAV can be reprogrammed here so that it does not lock some of the fearures while the vehice is in motion ??

I have not yet investigated every item in-depth, I only did what OMF did (i.e. went through all 00-99 codes) and more heavily explored code 83 (video/display adjustments). In my brief search, I did not come across anything that obviously resembled the "safe mode off" control (that's what my portable Garmin nuvi calls what you describe). I'll have another pass when I get a chance.

Lexx

At code round 13 or 14, I dont remember, Noise Cancellling is OFF but I can't turn it ON. When I click Enter, it just shows Noise Cancelling Off in box.

nguvanh said:
At code round 13 or 14, I dont remember, Noise Cancellling is OFF but I can't turn it ON. When I click Enter, it just shows Noise Cancelling Off in box.
Yes, it is code 14. I believe it's simply a test function, to inactivate the noise cancellation and leave the audio system in this state until you turn the ingition switch OFF. Once you turn it ON again, the noise cancellation will be active.

I am not sure if this is in fact an ANC (Active Noise Cancellation), MAZDA doesn't call it so either, since it adjusts the audio frequencies to compensate the ambient noise, vs. generating white noise even when the audio system is off. There is only one so called "audio pilot microphone" on the driver's side a few inches to the left under the steering wheel, meanwhile the real ANC systems I have seen are controlled by two (or more - but definitely one in the front and one rear) microphones mounted into the ceiling.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lexx said:
OMF,

This is excellent thread for hackers! That menu has a number of other interesting options, such as software versions of various subcontrollers and, most importantly, an option to fully (and I mean FULLY, I don't think I've ever seen this level of adjustability outside the highest end of professional broadcast systems and I am a video engineer) adjust the brightness and other attributes of the displays and the various video paths in the car -- see option 83.

Of particular interest is that there are two sets of settings for displays/video: DAY and NIGHT. All those people that have been complaining about auto headlights going on too early and causing the Nav display to dim to invisibiliy too early can now adjust the NIGHT brightness to suit (yes, there is also the option to press the dim buttom to turn day/night switching essentially off and keep in day mode, but the adjustability of option 83 is much much better, and cooler). For those that are going to hack, don't forget to write down original settings in case you mess something up and want to get back to current settings.

We will shortly need to start another thread and a document purely to fully documents this POWER-AUDIO diagnostic functionality.

Lexx

Thanks Lexx for these hints. My nav is not switching to night mode when the lights come on though the Nav is in the [Dsiplay] [Auto mode]. Does anyone know why? I thought when the lights come on the Nav dsiplay switches to night mode-- not happening!!! thx.

Last edited:
daghef_cx9 said:
Thanks Lexx for these hints. My nav is not switching to night mode when the lights come on though the Nav is in the [Dsiplay] [Auto mode]. Does anyone know why? I thought when the lights come on the Nav dsiplay switches to night mode-- not happening!!! thx.
Let try reset to factory default first.

daghef_cx9 said:
It seems likely that your dimmer knob/button is currently toggled to always stay in day mode. This is the left knob/button of the two knob/buttons right in the instrument cluster area. Pressing the button toggles between "adjustable night lighting" mode (where you can turn the knob to adjust the backlight level) and "always day mode" (where the backlight stays on full all the time) for the instrument cluster and nav display. Give it a shot.

Even so - my CX9 NAV system is far brighter during the day than my CX7 NAV. Course my CX7 was made in 2006 and the CX9 made in 2007. Hope my next CX7 has a brighter screen.

I have a 2008 CX9, and irrespective if whether I have the display set to DAY or NIGHT, if I turn on the lights the screen gets considerably dimmer. I can tell via the display settings screen that "lights on" and "lights off" have separate settings but even if I have the brightness and contrast set the same the display is still dimmer with the lights on.

How do I access these hidden settings? This is no dim button.

See 3 posts above yours, Burcrim.

Last edited:
Back