Nardi Torino steering wheel installation

SNike05 said:
Right i understand.

The problem is the MP3 Nardi one I got the leather is finished thats why I paid so less. So I doubt I can sell it for much. Can you get me pricing on that red one you posted. If its in a reasonable price I might just buy that instead of doing this work. Stitching leather on a steering wheel is about 4-6 hours labour.

it retails for $570... I see them used once in a while pretty cheap in japan too

zverg said:
Does having a wood core make it feel different than a plastic core?
of course it does... it's real wood... expensive wood too haha.. whatever that luxury car/boat wood they use for steering wheels

I think the wood steering wheels are just more rounded than oval compared to the leather ones... I don't know much else, I've only looked at the wood ones first hand a couple of times in the dealer show rooms when they sold the special edition miatas a few years ago

the steering wheel itself is genuinely made by Nardi Torino in Italy... the shape of the steering wheel is oval (compared to many conventional steering wheels that are just rounded) which helps overall hand grip inmensely. The steering wheel also measures 370mm in diameter compared to the 380mm 4 spoke stock piece of s***. Because this s*** is not made by Mazda, the steering wheel trim itself is NOT replacable (you can take it off, but you can't buy it!). I had to be extra careful in cutting that hole knowing that if I ****** up, it's over!

The smaller steering wheel diameter helped for an effective steering ratio improvement. This also caused lost mechanical advantage, but it makes the steering weighed perfectly now, it is less sluggish for turn in and counter steering. It also now allows more percise control compared to the twitchiness the stock steering wheel gave because of the leverage. Maneuvering in parking lots now requires more effort but it now feels more in line with European cars' power steering designs.

nardi.jpg

attachment.php

So i'm looking for that exact steering wheel, so where could i find it (whats the car it comes off so i can google it). and secondly would it just bolt on to a stock 99 mazda protege

you can google NB Miata Nardi steering wheels from that same era. i found mine on eBay (with the badge on the bottom spoke) taken from a Miata. i believe the '99 proteges had different air bags. you'll need to source one too.

Back