2017~2024 Mysterious damage to my new 2021 CX-5

:
2021 CX-5 GTR
I purchased my new CX 5 almost 7 months ago. It only has about 1,700 miles and has spent 95%+ of the time parked in my garage at home. Today as I about 1’-2’ away from opening my driver’s side door in a parking lot, the sunlight hit it just right and I noticed something we all dread….a scratch on the door. My first thought was the door had been keyed. But then I noticed the scratch was very light and surprisingly almost straight. Then as I looked at it closer, the mystery deepened. The very light scratch runs the entire vertical length of the door, from top to bottom, is about 3/16" from the door’s edge and almost perfectly parallels the door’s edge. And then at the very top and bottom of the light scratch, the scratch makes a perfect 90 degree angle turn towards the door edge and continues to straight for about 1/8".

I initially wondered how long I’d not seen this damage, but honestly scratch is very light, my car color is deep crystal blue mica and the sunlight hit it just right. Even though I now know there's a scratch on the door, I can't see it unless I'm very close to the door. But it’s clearly a scratch, as I could feel it as I ran my fingers over it.

And now, I save the strangest part of this story for last. I then checked my other three car doors. All four of my doors have this exact same scratch in the exact same position. All four scratches are almost straight, continuous, run the vertical length of each door, parallel the door edge, are about 3/16" from the door edge, and make an exact 90 degree turn towards the door at the top and bottom of the scratches and run straight another 1/8" (almost to the door edge). When I say they're "almost" straight, the scratches are continuously 3/16"-1/4" away from all door edges.

So now I can’t help but wonder if something happened at the factory, or if the CX 5 is shipped with some type of door protectors from the factory and that someone at the dealership used something sharp to incorrectly remove the protectors.

So for all of the car experts about there, please provide me your theories as to how these seemingly identically shaped scratches, in identical locations on all four doors, were made. I’m planning to visit the dealership in the next 3-4 days to discuss this damage, but first want to hear from all of you. Thanks.

Yes, it's deep enough to catch my nail. It is visually "light", or difficult to see unless very close. I attached two photos of the scratches on two different doors. My cell phone camera and flash do an excellent job of showing the scratches, as I can tell you with the naked eye they aren't nearly this visible.

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 288
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 281
Guilty as charged. Please be kind. I checked my doors again and felt the lip/ridge only going one way and could see the "lines" when I opened my doors.

As someone once said, if you can't laugh at yourself, how can you laugh at anyone else?

I purchased my CX-5 Reserve at almost 10% below MSRP ($32,950) when prices were beginning to sky rocket in the late spring and know I wasn't charged for door edge guards (yes, I just looked at the sales invoice to reconfirm no charges for extras), so honestly that possibility never crossed my mind. I should have put "2 and 2" together, but being in my 50's, not being charged for any extras, and coming from an era when "extras" were much more limited, my brain just shut off. ☹️☹️☹️☹️:(

Hopefully this isn't an initial sign of senility....

Just be happy you have door edge guards, that paint will continue to look good. Now, go drive that car! :cool:

Don't feel too bad, at one point I thought clear coat was peeling off my rims, and after posting pictures here, people told me it was pieces of the plastic rim protectant that the prep people at the dealership left. And that was exactly what it was.

Guilty as charged. Please be kind. I checked my doors again and felt the lip/ridge only going one way and could see the "lines" when I opened my doors.

As someone once said, if you can't laugh at yourself, how can you laugh at anyone else?

I purchased my CX-5 Reserve at almost 10% below MSRP ($32,950) when prices were beginning to sky rocket in the late spring and know I wasn't charged for door edge guards (yes, I just looked at the sales invoice to reconfirm no charges for extras), so honestly that possibility never crossed my mind. I should have put "2 and 2" together, but being in my 50's, not being charged for any extras, and coming from an era when "extras" were much more limited, my brain just shut off. ☹️☹️☹️☹️:(

Being in your 50's? Hell man! I'm in my 60's and I'm still as sharp as a, um, sharp as a, oh what the hell am I still sharp as? Let me ask my wife and I'll get back to you. ;)

I still sit at the gas pump waiting for someone to check my tire pressure. You can Google that

Happens to everyone at one point or another. Just be happy they aren't scratches (y)

My best senior moment,,,,, The battery on my key fob was dead, so I goggled '2016 Infinity QX50 key fob battery" - sounds reasonable, right?

It wasn't until I was putting in the new battery that I had a "doh" moment. No need to google, just open it up ad look at what was already in there.

That presumes your eyes are still good enough to read the small label on the battery.:ROFLMAO:

You post here is helpful to me. It appears from a comment above this has been seen before, however, I have never seen it. Honestly, I could see myself thinking the same thing in the same situation. Now, because of your question, I am aware. This is why I am here. On another note it seems I have stumbled upon the whole water based paint chipping issue- but that is a topic for another thread.

Back