My thought process on choosing the 2019 GTR

Apollothedog

2019 CX-5 GTR
I recently purchased a 2019 white GTR with the parchment interior. Not my first choice in color, but didn't have much to choose from and had to act fast. My 2010 Subaru Outback had just broke the front axles and my mechanic told me that was just the start of the issues, it was time to get rid of it. It had 200k miles and was 10 years old so no complaints there. He got it drivable, turned off all the idiot lights that have been flashing due to a bad catalytic converter, but had indicated that it won't last long and get rid of it in the next couple of days.

I purchased a 2018 CRV EX two years ago that involved trading in my 2005 BMW 330i. This car had 150k miles on it and was starting to spend more time in the shop then on my driveway.

I do enjoy the CRV, but wanted something different. I didn't want two of the same vehicle. The 2020's are virtually the same as the 2018 with some small modifications. Also the oil dilution issue has me a little freaked out. I did get a free extended powertrain warranty to address the issue if it arises and also purchased an extended bumper to bumper 8 year 120k miles HondaCare warranty when I bought the car. Wife was uncomfortable owning a car with a turbo so I had to do it. If I had known that the Honda would give me the free warranty upgrade, I would have saved $1100. I did look at the CX5 as well at that time, but decided on the Honda due to the roominess and better acceleration. It was also a bit cheaper, I paid 26k for the EX.

This time around, wife wanted another Subaru Outback. It gave us 200k mostly trouble free miles. The CVT blew out at 85k miles, and Subaru originally wanted $8500 to replace it. After one call to Subaru of America, they fixed it for free even though it was out of warranty, so the customer service was really outstanding. So off to the Subaru dealer we went. We drove the normally aspirated Outback and it felt even slower than the 2010. Handing was also sloppy. The 12" infotainment was unintuitive and it lacked many of the hard buttons typically associated with these functions. Turning on heated seats was a three step process. I also test drove the turbo version of the Outback, but it left me underwhelmed as far as handling and acceleration. It was also more expensive than the CX5 and not as nice. I think I would have purchased the non turbo version of the Outback vs the non Turbo version of the CX5 due to my wife's preference. Also looked at the Rav 4 and wasn't impressed.

Two years ago, we needed a roomy, fuel efficient vehicle that had some performance, comfort with lots of leg room in the back. The CRV pressed the right buttons. This time around I wanted something reminiscent of my BMW. So I gain test drove a CX5 Touring. It was nice, but not what I was looking for. Handled well, was upscale looking, but the acceleration was much less than the CRV. Was chatting with the sales manager and he suggested I try out the GTR. Took a test drive and I was hooked. Gorgeous, fast, handled well and so upscaled rivaling the RDX and NX300. Hoping for an easy 10 year and 200k ownership for both the CRV and the CX5.

So exactly how long have you had your Reserve? Long enough to have an experienced basis for comparison?

There's a lot of "on paper" comparison to the roominess (or lack thereof) in the CX-5. What's your real-world experience? Did you really need/use the extra room you got in CRV-EX? I've yet to run into any issues with my Reserve lacking space, but I only occasionally have rear seat passengers.

And I gotta ask: what's your wife's aversion to turbos? Has she driven the Reserve? In my opinion is does not really "feel" like a turbo because of how Mazda has it uniformly available across the entire RPM range.

Had the Reserve for two weeks. Real world experience is the back seat in the CX5 is less comfortable then in the CRV but still comfortable enough. When it's more than the two of us, we usually take the CRV. We had a Dodge Colt Turbo back in the 80's that gave us trouble. So now she prefers not having a turbo even though we ended up with two vehicles that have them.

Interesting.

The only time I've been in a CRV was to test drive a used 2016 when I was car shopping in the fall of 2018. I did not get in the back seat...I didn't like it enough to get that far.

When I was shopping the CX-5, I adjusted the driver's seat to fit me and then sat behind it. It seemed like enough room, but until you've actually ridden there you don't really know.

Funny story about your wife. I can relate. Once bitten/twice shy, as they say. Sounds like she pays attention.

The 2016 CRV is a different vehicle than the 2017 and later. The redesign gave it 40.5" of legroom. I believe the CX5 and most others in the class are around 39" or less. It's not a big difference but if you need the room for taller passengers then it may. Both are comfortable though. After two weeks of driving the CX5, I prefer driving it over the CRV. The CRV is a tool to get us from point A to point B. The CX5 is my toy and makes it fun getting to point B. I do love driving it.

Back