My Sirius Starmate4 radio install

mckraut

:
MazdaSpeed3 Black Mica GT
This won't be a how-to, just showing where I mounted the radio I purchased this week after my Sirius One died. I'm not a smoker so I was able to remove the ashtray and cut the faceplate a little bit so I could fit the radio flush with the center console. The result is a clean looking install with all wires entirely hidden (with the exception of power, more on that in a minute). If nothing else, this little project was a good excuse to buy a new dremel. :)

The dock is fully functional like this and I can remove my radio and put it into other docks with ease. The next step is buying a ground loop isolator and running audio cable to my Aux input in addition to hardwiring the power to the cigarette lighter behind the console. Let me know what you guys think!

Note: Sorry for the poor picture quality, my camera sometimes has trouble focusing. And yes, I know I need to clean my floormats.

Attachments

• starmate4_1.JPG
    starmate4_1.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 233
  • starmate4_3.JPG
    starmate4_3.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 185
  • starmate4_4.JPG
    starmate4_4.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 178
  • starmate4_2.JPG
    starmate4_2.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 210
  • starmate4_5.JPG
    starmate4_5.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 177
looks pretty good. im still contemplating on what i want to do.
so you're saying that you are going to use the AUX instead of using the FM frequency?

looks pretty good. im still contemplating on what i want to do.
so you're saying that you are going to use the AUX instead of using the FM frequency?

Yeah, the aux jack is going to give me a much better audio connection. Plus my commute is 30+ minutes and I have to switch frequencies halfway through.

I also run an MP3 player on my Aux connection and plan to get a splitter so I can use one at a time without having to switch out the connection.

Alternater Noise

I just installed a sirius sporster in my '07 3 using the Aux jack and lighter for now. I am getting a significant amount of alternator whine though. I could hardwire the 12 volts and install an inline supressor, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced similar and what they did to remedy.

I just installed a sirius sporster in my '07 3 using the Aux jack and lighter for now. I am getting a significant amount of alternator whine though. I could hardwire the 12 volts and install an inline supressor, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced similar and what they did to remedy.
You need a ground loop isolator. Radioshack and Crutchfield sell them.

Can we dedicate this thread to the setup options we have?
I like ops, but I would like to do one that is nicely mounted in the center console, not just thrown in there and plugged up.

Back