My RX-8 Rebuild/Project Thread

I don't have any leaks near the rack. I'm on my second steering rack. I think its a loose connection or something. When I had it done a while ago at the dealership, the tech said that its getting too much voltage. It didn't make sense but whatever. It comes and goes, and I'd like to finally make it go away for good. No, the car was not in gear.

I don't have any leaks near the rack. I'm on my second steering rack. I think its a loose connection or something. When I had it done a while ago at the dealership, the tech said that its getting too much voltage. It didn't make sense but whatever. It comes and goes, and I'd like to finally make it go away for good. No, the car was not in gear.

I'm going to guess your issue is related too coolant...

Your "leak" in the coolant tank is actually the coolant overflowing when it overflows it drips on your PS connection causing intermittent issues. Your coolant is overflowing due to a blockage in the system, this blockage is most likely stopping coolant from getting to needed areas around your water jacket causing hot spots in the housing which ultimately lead to your engine dying.

Also I highly recommend you have a guy named Rotary Resurrection, or a company named mazmart rebuild your engine, they will give you a fair price and do a fantastic job. Contrary to popular belief the Rotary engine is not a simple 3 moving part machine that is held together by snake oil and baby seal grease.

If you decide to rebuild yourself have fun, but I'll be looking forward to my "I told ya so" moment.

I'm going to guess your issue is related too coolant...

Your "leak" in the coolant tank is actually the coolant overflowing when it overflows it drips on your PS connection causing intermittent issues. Your coolant is overflowing due to a blockage in the system, this blockage is most likely stopping coolant from getting to needed areas around your water jacket causing hot spots in the housing which ultimately lead to your engine dying.

Also I highly recommend you have a guy named Rotary Resurrection, or a company named mazmart rebuild your engine, they will give you a fair price and do a fantastic job. Contrary to popular belief the Rotary engine is not a simple 3 moving part machine that is held together by snake oil and baby seal grease.

If you decide to rebuild yourself have fun, but I'll be looking forward to my "I told ya so" moment.

do yourself a favor and just stop commenting. no need for an inexperenced kid to comment on things you have no actual clue on. its funny how people are so quick to bash someone for what there doing but not actually help. are you going to get on a plane and come here to give real advise or are you just gunna keep telling my buddy what hes doing wrong? how about you just keep your opinions to yourself.

do yourself a favor and just stop commenting. no need for an inexperenced kid to comment on things you have no actual clue on. its funny how people are so quick to bash someone for what there doing but not actually help. are you going to get on a plane and come here to give real advise or are you just gunna keep telling my buddy what hes doing wrong? how about you just keep your opinions to yourself.

LOL You are clearly the internet badass...

I have no idea what I'm doing either, I'm like the biggest noob ever. I've never even looked under the hood of an RX-8 :(.

You should probably look at my posts on the RX-8 club, In particular you should read this thread http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=231883

What I outlined in my previous post is completely possible and most likely what happened.

Have you even seen the renesis broken down? Do you know how the cooling system works on a rotary?

Clearly you don't, if you did you would see what I am talking about is the most likely cause for his engine to fail.

I'm attempting to get him to seek professional help for his rebuild, from what I've seen this thing will not go over well if he attempts to do it himself. I'd gladly fly out there and do it for him, but I'm in the middle of another rebuild for a member down here in Texas.

Good luck....

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. Ok, my coolant tank actually had a crack in it which is why I had leaking coolant. It never got onto my steering rack, ever. As far as you're "I told you so" moment, I really don't care. I have the money to do it so I'm not worried but I appreciate your advice, honestly I do. I am in contact with quite a few engine builders, many of whom I've known for a long time and know their work and I have their support. I also have a contact with Kilo Racing so again, I'm not worried. I have one part of the engine opened, I'm having trouble getting the 19mm nut off the front so the engine is at my friend's shop.

its good that you drive a mazda 5 with comments like that. lol
Heh. I knew that would catch flak from the rotary purists. ;) But believe me, I totally understand. I have an S2000 also, and most of the S2k community would call foul on replacing the stock engine with something else, but I intend to do better than factory while still keeping it in the family (Honda) and still revving out past 8k rpm. :D

ShadyCrew, fatti03msp, I can use some help. I opened up my engine finally, and found what looks like dirt (excessive carbon deposits??) in the first rotor housing. I'll post pictures when I get back home.

SDC10307.jpg

SDC10310.jpg

SDC10312.jpg

SDC10314.jpg

SDC10313.jpg

SDC10315.jpg

Last edited:
side seals look like they took a s*** along with some other stuff haha, is that stuff sand?

Did you try and to PnP your engine with sand lol.... jk

lucky for you if you e shaft needs to be replaced they used to be only like 150-180 new from mazda. Not sure if they went up since they no longer make the car.

Back