My CX5 is so sexy!

Looks like the Pontiac Aztek was Honda's inspiration for the new Civic Hatchback :)

KBB states $22,500 - $24,500 trade-in for mine.

I just hit 20,000 miles.
58k miles. I eat a lot of toast. It cost me 2k on trade. Would a been worth mid 15s otherwise. They rated the condition as "very good". 2015 touring awd. Just a cheap car. Bought it for 22k in 2015 with 28k on it. Like another poster said, poor investment. Buy Toyota if you want resale. Those have gone UP in case of prius and fj, in some cases. That said...I bought it to cook toast, and don't really care to swap toasters. I just went in because I wanted a free gummy snack or animal crackers. They had neither. Got a nutrigrain bar :(

58k miles. I eat a lot of toast. It cost me 2k on trade. Would a been worth mid 15s otherwise. They rated the condition as "very good". 2015 touring awd. Just a cheap car. Bought it for 22k in 2015 with 28k on it. Like another poster said, poor investment. Buy Toyota if you want resale. Those have gone UP in case of prius and fj, in some cases. That said...I bought it to cook toast, and don't really care to swap toasters. I just went in because I wanted a free gummy snack or animal crackers. They had neither. Got a nutrigrain bar :(

Yeah, I have no intention of getting rid of mine anytime soon unless something serious starts going wrong.... particularly post warranty.

Isn't average depreciation after 3 years (from being new) ~40%?

I did notice that about the FJs... couldn't sell them when they were new and on the lot. Then they stop making them and all of a sudden the demand skyrockets.

Yeah, I have no intention of getting rid of mine anytime soon unless something serious starts going wrong.... particularly post warranty.

Isn't average depreciation after 3 years (from being new) ~40%?

I did notice that about the FJs... couldn't sell them when they were new and on the lot. Then they stop making them and all of a sudden the demand skyrockets.

My MSRP was probably $26K-ish, so it's worth 50% of what it was worth about 2 years ago (2015 model). Absolute s***.

My 370Z cost me $43K (paid actual sticker). I put 35K on it, and the tires were bald AF, white cords hanging off, and I got like $32K for it in 2014 (it was a 2012).
My Grand Jeep Cherokee stickered for $39K or so, and I got $17,XXX for it 5 years later (2010 model in 2015) with 93,XXX miles on it and s*** broken.

My Mazda with a bit over 50% of the miles the Jeep had on it, and 3 years newer, has identical depreciation. In short, Mazda's resale value is equal to a used condom compared to Chrysler and Nissan. Oh, and Chevrolet. My Z06? I paid $65K for it and got $57K for it a year later (Well, maybe like $54K if you consider I traded for a 370Z I paid sticker on, but that's what loaded 370Z's in GM with an MN6 went for then anyway, trade or not. Sticker or GTFO because they were so rare and selling as soon as they hit US soil).

So, once again...Mazda dissapoints. Thankfully, the vehicle still delivers and I'm as cool with it as one could be, but really, that's limdick. First and LAST Mazda I buy, personally. Light on luxury, handles well and does everything else mediocre, and loses value terribly.

/rant

My MSRP was probably $26K-ish, so it's worth 50% of what it was worth about 2 years ago (2015 model). Absolute s***.

My 370Z cost me $43K (paid actual sticker). I put 35K on it, and the tires were bald AF, white cords hanging off, and I got like $32K for it in 2014 (it was a 2012).
My Grand Jeep Cherokee stickered for $39K or so, and I got $17,XXX for it 5 years later (2010 model in 2015) with 93,XXX miles on it and s*** broken.

My Mazda with a bit over 50% of the miles the Jeep had on it, and 3 years newer, has identical depreciation. In short, Mazda's resale value is equal to a used condom compared to Chrysler and Nissan. Oh, and Chevrolet. My Z06? I paid $65K for it and got $57K for it a year later (Well, maybe like $54K if you consider I traded for a 370Z I paid sticker on, but that's what loaded 370Z's in GM with an MN6 went for then anyway, trade or not. Sticker or GTFO because they were so rare and selling as soon as they hit US soil).

So, once again...Mazda dissapoints. Thankfully, the vehicle still delivers and I'm as cool with it as one could be, but really, that's limdick. First and LAST Mazda I buy, personally. Light on luxury, handles well and does everything else mediocre, and loses value terribly.

/rant

You do use some interesting analogies.

A few years back my boss was looking for a 3 row SUV. One of the vehicles he was looking into was the CX9, but only because a lightly used one could be had for a great deal. He eventually went with a used Acura MDX and has been totally happy with his purchase.

You do use some interesting analogies.

A few years back my boss was looking for a 3 row SUV. One of the vehicles he was looking into was the CX9, but only because a lightly used one could be had for a great deal. He eventually went with a used Acura MDX and has been totally happy with his purchase.

Never met an unhappy Acura SUV owner. I know several. They love 'em. Personally, I am okay with driving my CX-5 until it's paid off, etc. but it's still a bit irking to know it's rather worthless compared to everything else I've owned.

We tend to keep our cars 10+ years, so resell isn't a concern. I've still got a '99 Forester and KBB on it is about $600.

Ugh. Sexy but worthless. Trade value 13,xxx. Local Mazda dealer wanted to appraise it since they are out of used ones pretty much. Offered me that, showed me KBB and current auction price. Jeez these drop like a rock :(

More reason to add mods.

So, once again...Mazda dissapoints. Thankfully, the vehicle still delivers and I'm as cool with it as one could be, but really, that's limdick. First and LAST Mazda I buy, personally. Light on luxury, handles well and does everything else mediocre, and loses value terribly..

Your comparisons are tough- I'm throwing out the Z06 and Z (which surprised me) on account of relevance. But let's talk about that 39k JGC...93k miles for 5 years cost you 22k +tax and s*** evidently and not surprisingly broke. You paid that (probably was a bit too much but whatever) for the CX-5 so throwing away percentages you got a better driving vehicle that s*** generally doesn't break on for the same $ it cost to drive that POS for 5 years- and are we forgetting about the $ to maintain/fix said POS? Idk Mazda doesn't seem too bad with that comp... but really if you want strong resale in this class you do what most do: CR-V/RAV. My 2007 EX-L nav I paid 26.5 (I believe) drove for 6 years, 102k and got 11k on Mazda trade- pretty amazing. A/C didn't work, front fender crushed..and yet I didn't go back to Honda. I knew the Mazda wouldn't hold like that but driving it is so much less bad haha actually its pretty dang good for what it is. Hold it long enough and the numbers won't suck as bad- GT w/tech would've made that a bit easier imo as it substantially less "light on luxury" vs. touring.

Last edited:
I know a lady that recently got 21% off MSRP on her new 2016 Z51 3LT Vette.

Edit- that was last August... time flies.

Last edited:
Whats weird is that the Mazda3 had been a leader in residual value in its class (ALG winner in 2014, 2015). The CX-5 is essentially very similar to the Mazda3 so you would think it would retain similar value.

/rant
Lol - you got yours for $ 22.5 - 2015 model and 28K miles on it, I got a similar MSRP 16.5 brand new for 1400 more. Keep in mind your 2015 could be bought in mid 2014 - so its actually 2.5 year old car - I dont know why this is weird with Mazda.
What do you think similar spec'd and similar MSRP Rav4 resale would be? 18000???? Hahaha.

I will tell you, i would bought that car for 19.5K USD (20.5 K value minus 1000 for it being a rental) - you can check any Hertz listing, they are very aggressive on pricing and price low, If i was buying from Hertz I would get some rental rewards as well - $200 or so.

As per my math - A 19.5K car after putting almost 2 years worth of miles on it - 13XXX is good.
By the way a similar spec'd Rav4 (similar MSRP ) kbb resale is about $700 more.

You keep saying its a toaster but by god you have a lot of expectations from a toaster. I think the real toaster in your house streams Netflix, can double up as a PS4, Blueray etc. etc. And still have a LED counter for the time left with custom design options on your toast.

That begs the question. What is the fugliest C/SUV ever? Hmmm

CR-Vs have always been butt ugly to me hands down. Especially that back end.

Now coming to Mazda, I'm sorry, but I always thought the CX-7 was ugly too. Glad the CX-5 replaced it. ;)

We tend to keep our cars 10+ years, so resell isn't a concern.

Same here. 4 years in on my CX-5, 43k miles now. I plan to keep it till it doesn't work anymore so couldn't care less about resell.

It's a good car.

Back