My CX-9 AWD Tried to Do Me In

You use slow speed and low gears to avoid sliding, but when you DO slide, you jam the brakes on hard and let the system do its job while steering.

And I'm not as concerned with starting. The trans axle helps with that.(Ice mode) It's the current 'turn the wheel and nothing happens' that I most want to address. For that, I chose the Paradas. They are a 105V vs the 104H and get slightly better ratings. And most of our driving is dry. I just can't buy another set of wheels and tires for the amount of ice and snow we get. They look nice, too.

But, the Michelins are a nice tire. Just make sure to get the H, not the T

Last edited:
I had my first experience this morning in the Boston area the OEM tires are quite bad. I am going to roll the dice for the remainder of this season and get snows next fall. I may dig up some 18" rims....we shall see

All season tires for snow and/or ice ?
Especially on a car thats heavy as the CX-9 ?
20" for snow ?
Are you guys normal ?

Tire rule for snow goes - smaller diameter of the rims, higher and narrower tire.
Use this - http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html - to calculate the correct diameter.

In my case summer 195/55/15, winter 185/65/14 (this I have) or even 175/70/14 (which would be better). It's like ice-skates, simply.
The only time I stoped was... never, and they've closed entries to the highway last week at the time I was on it, but I had no trouble getting where I was going.

Also ABS, TCS, DSC do not work properly if your tire is like a wooden wheel.
Summer tires are for minimum of 10 degrees celsius after that they loose their rubber charachteristic and winter tires are "useless" beyond 10 deegrees celsius.

There are tons of info about this all over the Internet and its a big place... Dont be afraid to use Google.

Well, if everyone was, there would be a lot fewer models for sale, and the ones that did exist would be better.

Most people just don't care what they spend their money on. "ooooh! shiny"

Summer tires are for minimum of 10 degrees celsius after that they loose their rubber charachteristic and winter tires are "useless" beyond 10 deegrees celsius.

Well now I'm in trouble... I'm not willing to change my tires daily!

Fortunately I'm living fine with useless winters tires on 50+ degree F days just fine :) I'm much less worried about prematurely wearing my winter tires than I was about having no control with the summer tires.

-Jeff

Back