My 2019 CX-9 GT vibrates on highway over 65mph

Ssteigss10

:
2019 CX-9 GT Machine Grey
My 19 GT vibrates on highway over 65mph. Felt in seat visibly vibrates sun visor when down. Dealer roadforced balanced all 4 tires and replaced 1 tire that was unable to be roadforced. Vibration still there. Brought car to my tire place/mechanic who said 2 tires out .25oz but vibration still there. They noticed a lot of play in rear driveshaft bearing but unable to determine if thats by design.
Anyone else with this issue and what dealer did to fix? Looked at old posts. Couple of people had tires/driveshafts replaced but no pattern. This goes back to 16 model.

I've been driving a new 2019 CX-9 GT last 4 weeks and it rides very smooth. Hopefully, you get your issue resolved.

Have you checked the alignment? I realize most of the vibration may be coming from unbalanced tires. But, since you've already done due diligence on that, you may want to check the alignment, as well.

Have you checked the alignment? I realize most of the vibration may be coming from unbalanced moytires. But, since you've already done due diligence on that, you may want to check the alignment, as well.

Going back to dealer today. Will mention alignment but Feels like tire issue but who knows. Ive seen others where everything can be balanced(roadforced) and tires still vibrate. Only cure is different set of tires. Rotating tires front to back seemed to not change anything either.

Last edited:
Here's a good article on vibration caused by tire balance or run out or lack of uniformity. http://www.barrystiretech.com/unifandbal.html

It won't be alignment. It could be some mechanical part. For a roadforce balance to work, the tech needs to be good on the machine. That isn't a given. If it was tires, rotating should have at least changed the location of the vibration. By the way, my '16 is silky on Falken tires.

Insist that the service writer put the problem on the work order. Don't accept just another guess about what will fix it, and only that job is listed on the work order for the tech. That's what the tech sees, so that's what the tech does.

Just wanted to update. Dealer acknowledged vibration, removed all the weights and redid the roadforce again. Its better but still mildly there. I am waiting till first oil change to address again. The tech was convinced its a tire issue. Also said hes seen vibration on both Bridgestone and Falken tires. No pattern. Said balancing and replacing some tires was the solution. No other powertrain issues hes run into. I dont drive highway frequently so taking a while for me to test it properly as its not as obvious now.

Someone already posted the other thread on this topic. Almost 11k miles and haven't found a fix. I actually threw new rims and tires on my car, still there, made NO difference. Seems Mazda has an issue and won't fix it or doesn't yet know what the root cause is. Wish I would find a fix, love the car otherwise.

Someone already posted the other thread on this topic. Almost 11k miles and haven't found a fix. I actually threw new rims and tires on my car, still there, made NO difference. Seems Mazda has an issue and won't fix it or doesn't yet know what the root cause is. Wish I would find a fix, love the car otherwise.

Make them check the wheel bearings hub. My CX-9 have one damaged and there is a big vibration when I hit 51 MPH. Check if the vibration changes while cornering at a constant speed. My problem right now is that the part is back-ordered. I have been waiting 3 months for the replacement.

It's Saturday. A great day to go car shopping. A great day to get yellow glass chalk markers for your car windows, draw a huge yellow lemon on the window, write LEMON on another window, print a concise description of the problem taped to a window, and park in a legal public parking spot in front of the dealership.

Let us know how quickly they resume efforts to find and fix your problem.

iur

Just wanted to update. Dealer acknowledged vibration, removed all the weights and redid the roadforce again. Its better but still mildly there. I am waiting till first oil change to address again. The tech was convinced its a tire issue. Also said hes seen vibration on both Bridgestone and Falken tires. No pattern. Said balancing and replacing some tires was the solution. No other powertrain issues hes run into. I dont drive highway frequently so taking a while for me to test it properly as its not as obvious now.

Just another update. Have driven another 1500 miles since the last rebalance( 3rd time) that the dealer did. The vibration is now very minor. Finally got to drive on highway for 150 miles straight at all different speeds. I sometimes feel it slightly at various speeds 50-80 mph in the seat. No vibration in steering wheel, the mirrrors dont vibrate although visor does slightly at times. This last roadforce the dealer got the numbers slightly lower on 3 tires with one having 15lbs, two at 13lbs and one at 7lbs. So in addition to people getting roadforce I would concentrate on getting numbers below 15. 15lbs is the spec GM uses so it must carry some weight. Some say anything under 20lbs is acceptable on an SUV. The CX-9 is more like a high riding car than a tradional SUV like a Tahoe. I do think the combination of low profile 20 tires, stiff suspension and stiff chassis do make it more sensitive to any vibration. Anyway Im not pursuing it further unless it gets worse. I also test drove a 18 CX-9(100 miles on car)with Bridgestones 4 months prior to my purchase. It had a horrible vibration. Rear view mirror a blur. So Im happy for now. Other than a glitchy/slow to boot up infotainment system Love the car. Its better than my Wifes 17 Lexus RX 350 on many levels.

Check out the other thread on this as well... Seems to be a very common problem with CX's...

Hey guys, problem resolved with the vibrations on another thread...

Back