MT drivers - what do you think of your gear ratios?

sac02

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
This is mainly directed at the 6-speed drivers, but I figured the 5-speed guys might have some input about their boxes.

I have a 6-speed, and I think the ratios aren't ideal. I think 3rd gear and 4th gear are a bit too tall, and 5th gear is totally and completely useless. When accelerating to highway speeds (or any speed above about 55mph), I shift straight from 4th to 6th about 90% of the time . When downshifting to pass someone (at HW speeds), I downshift from 6th to 4th, or sometimes 3rd - never 5th. I wish 3rd and 4th were a little lower, and that 6th was a bit taller.

When I was shopping for my 2012 Mazda5 finding a 6-speed car was difficult enough. At the time there were 3 for sale in all of New England where my local dealer could run a swap. There wasn't one around to test drive so I took a drive in a 6-speed equipped 2012 Mazda6 sedan they had on the lot. I figured that with the same engine and transmission it was a reasonable comparison. We also own a 2008 Mazda5 so I was already familiar with the 5-speed auto. Based on my test drive in the 6 I was struck by how short the first 2 gears were and at highway speed I wasn't turning any fewer RPM than in our 5-speed auto car. In the end I despite how much I thought I wanted the 6-speed I didn't think I was missing much by opting for the readily-available automatic. Besides I really wanted a Mazda5 in crystal white pearl, which In 2012 was not a color available with the stick shift. I love my white car!

The gears in the 5MT are really tall. I shift into 2nd usually a bit after 10mph, and into 5th by 40mph. They are all evenly spaced, but here in AZ, I would like a real overdrive gear, since 5th really isn't doing it. I stopped using the Mazda5 for road trips b/c the engine would be turning at 3750 @ 80 mph, and by 85 mph, 4K on the clock.
But below 65 mph, its a real champ. My MIL had it for about 2 weeks, driving 30 mi 1-way 45-60 mph, and I think she was getting 30 mpg.

Just like my Protege5, I'm doing about 3200rpm at 65mph.

This is stupid.

Both cars had enough power at 2500rpm+ to cruise at a lower rpm. 1st gear has my wife revving to 3500 rpm before going into 2nd.. I keep telling her unless you're at a dead stop you should be in 2nd gear or higher, but to someone who isn't technically minded the gear ratio would naturally have you revving the engine way higher than is needed, reducing fuel economy and increasing wear.

Otherwise the Mazda5 was a very nice upgrade over the P5 (which was also a great vehicle. the gear ratio was my only real complaint about both vehicles)

Last edited:
Same complaint, gear ratios are for Tokyo, not the flat lands of Alberta! Winding out at 4000 RPM to keep up with traffic at 130KPH. From what I gather the six speed is no taller. Needs a true overdrive.
Still love the car though.

And 6 Liters per hundred still is pretty good, compared to most of our Redneck Pickup Trucks out here on the Praire.

Back