MSP vs. Mini Cooper S Checkmate

ping

Contributor
Interesting to have both these cars in the driveway now...

The Mini Cooper S is a 2006, brandy new but 5k mileage so she's broken in. The MSP has 33k cared-for miles, so is also broken in (and I'm a little more "used to" the MSP).

Powertrain: MiniS has more low end (supercharged), but the MSP feels a little stronger above 2700RPM. The MSP shifts better, feels like there's a lighter flywheel in there so she's faster to rev on throttle blips and the linkage is smoother (could be there's 33k miles on the MSP and 5k on the MiniS). In terms of sound, the MiniS has that supercharger whine that I love, and the MSP has a nice growl on boost. Unfortunately, while the AEM CAI adds some throttle response and hp, it does make that CAI "sucking" sound, and amplifies the turkey BOV (which sounds kinda cool too). Have to give the nod to the MiniS, but barely, and it's a matter of taste. The MiniS engine revs smoother, but the MSP's pulls harder up top. With a straight pipe in place of the stock RB muffler, the MSP sounds great from the outside too.

Handling: The MiniS rides a little smoother and is flatter in corners. The MSP has at least equal amounts of grip and actually feels better in sime ways in the twisties since there's some weight in the back and she rotates a little better. The MSP is more communicative, but a tad harsher. Have not had either on a track so I can't comment on "ultimate" handling, but around town the MSP's a little easier to drive, feels narrower, and the sightlines out are better, especially if you're first in line looking up at a traffic light.

Comfort/accoutrements: MSP kinda wins this one for space (duh!), seat comfort is a tad better with the lower seat cushion rake adjustment on the MSP (not on MiniS). Trunk space exists in the MSP, but only barely in the Cooper. Rear seat is nolo contendre, MSP wins hands down. MSP stock sound system blows the Harmon Kardon unit away with tighter bass and a better "surround" stage... when the OEM MSP HU quit I went Pioneer with iPod interface and it's even better, tighter, with easier/better sub control.

Around Town:
The MSP is more useful and maybe gets only slightly less stares than the Cooper - guess the Minis are becoming more commonplace. Had an EVO driver give the MSP a full slack-jawed stare and thumbs-up the other day, found myself thinking "What are you looking at there, Bud - you've got an Evo!" but he looked anyway... maybe thought it was an Evo... I did notice that Mini owners give each other The Flash, while MSP/MP3 owners sometimes do, sometimes don't, and are few and far between. Stock Protege owners, well, mostly don't notice. MSP wins hands down in the utility department, though once you're used to the Mini you adapt.

Durability:
Well, I've never had a problem with the MSP aside from the clunk (fixed) and the reflash (done), so it's been a great car, never left me stranded or uncomfortable... except for the lack of cruise and a sunroof! There are some who've lost LSDs and such, but the Cooper has a similar history on different parts - hope I don't see any of that either - and I drive fairly gentle compared to most, so I'm not too worried!

That's about it - MSP left the house today (congratulations Turbolag!) Both are great cars, the Mini's a little more extroverted maybe and has better aftermarket support, while the MSP is more unique and maybe even a better "car", from a performance standpoint, especially when utility is factored in as part of the performance.

Questions? Comments? Please post! Pics coming....

Last edited:
This reminds me of one of the hundreds of MSP vs SRT threads, where i was the only one who had both at the same time, so I was the only one who could make real time comparisons instead of recycling the same old junk everyone else did...

Congrats, the MCS it's a great car, every time my neighbor starts his up in the morning (4 am) and drives down the street I think about the day (well, a year actually) that I had my deposit on mine until I got fed up and bought the SRT instead. I still wonder...

Britt

yeah, there were many of these threads back in the early days of msprotege.com! MSP versus (insert other car name here). SRT4's are beasts, not much in the FWD category can take them, even since! Maybe the MS3 now, but SRT4's are so well factory supported... just look at their success in OneLap, and other racing categories where they compete with Mustangs, S2000's, STIs, Evos...

Who's faster between the MSP and MCS is more a question of driver, launch, course, and day. The Cooper takes a little more attention to drive well, the MSP's a little more forgiving. The Cooper has a little more low-end, the MSP lags a little but comes on stronger above 3k. The MSP's handling is slightly more communicative and direct, but then again I've onnly had the Cooper a few days. It was easier to drive the MSP earlier, the Cooper takes a little more getting used to before getting on it - it's a little twitchy because it has so little "car" behind the driver! The MSP's throttle is more communicative than the Cooper's drive-by-wire system.

It seems the ultimate limits are pretty close in "real world" driving; I've never had either on a "closed course, professional driver" setting!

Last edited:
I don't see how it could be a drivers race between the MSP and the Mini. The Mini is lighter and has more hp and torq. The hp curve in better also. the mini gets all of the power with out the lagg of the turbo. No I don't own one but a friend of mine does. The mini should had the msp its but in every thing.

I was seriously debating between the MSP and Cooper S. If I would have found one at a decent price, I would be riding in one right now. I walked out the door with my MSP for 13K, I couldn't find an S within 7K of that. If I could have found a blue S with White strips for around 18K I would be driving it today. Not a one within a 2 or 3 hour drive. I love the minis but I also love my MSP more and more everyday! Plus it has more room. It suits me more I would have to say. Great buy though. I'm still hoping to possibly own one. I hear they are coming out with a turbo version, vs the supercharger. I can't wait to see that!

Back