MSP build, advice welcomed too

RuskiiGuy

Boostedlife
:
2003.5 msp
Hi All,

Going to attempt to make a thread on my build, it's going to be a big overhaul. Built trans and motor is the goal.

Goal is 350 to 400whp

Been doing research and trying figure out all the weaknesses of the drivetrain, I do know the transmission is horrible, so for the transmission portion I've ordered;

Mfactory gear set
Mfactory lsd the stage higher version with 75% torque engagement
Solid all 4 mount 3 hydra , 1 awr transmission one
Trans saver from exile motorsports
upper plate from hydra
lower case weld in plate.

That's my basics of what's being done to the transmission, I do have all the parts already for that.

Engine wise more of a mystery, I hear the oil system is bad, I'd love any the feedback!

So im process ordering all parts i need for this car, question is what pistons are good that wont yield me issues ahead, heard some ppl have weisco some arias, and if yall could help me with pointing out all weak areas of motor so i can adress all issues, gonna try do it right so that im not throwing my money away

received_10155832914692995.jpeg

Nice MSP, looks clean!

The major weak point in these engines is the pencil thin connecting rods. Crankshaft is forged and strong.

You are correct about the oil system. Here's a thread about it and what a lot of people did (including myself) to remedy the issue. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/fs-de-oil-system.123700949/

There is another company offering a high performance oil pump. Looks like it would work well. https://www.boundarypumps.com/mazda-protege/stage-ii-mazda-protege-fs-fp-high-flow-billet-oil-pump

I'll do my best to list everything needed to "do it right"

8.5:1 comp pistons. Wiseco, CP or Arias (higher comp can be used if running E85)
Pauter, Molnar or K1 rods
ARP main and head studs
Main, thrust and rod bearings
Oil pump (docb or boundary)
Fel-pro or Cometic head gasket
Oem oil squirters, frost plugs, oil gallery plugs, full engine rebuild gasket set, spark plugs
Gates Racing timing belt plus new water pump, idler and tensioner
Adjustable cam gears

All these parts are no good without the proper prep and machine work to the cylinder head and block. Services you'll require to ensure a stout engine that will last for many miles:

Clean, inspect/mag flux block and crank to ensure no micro cracks.

Re-surface cylinder head, valve job, new seals and set valve clearances to oem spec. (you can port, polish and completely trick out the cylinder head with supertech goodies but it will cost a lot)

Block bored using a torque plate and ARP studs (BHJ makes one for the FSDE and I believe it can be rented). Do some research on boring high performance engines and you'll see why this is such a crucial step.

Re-surface block deck. It's important that the machinist removes the correct amount of material from the deck so that the clearance between the piston crown and cylinder head is 0.040". This clearance is determined by measuring piston to deck distance and the adding the thickness of the head gasket being used. (ex. piston to deck = 0.010" + 0.030" thick headgasket = 0.040" piston to head clearance).

Line hone the main bearing caps using ARP studs.

Balance rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank)

Ensure all main and rod bearing oil clearances are within spec. Piston ring gaps need to be set as well.

If you need the factory engine rebuild manual, it is available for download so you can reference all the clearance specs, torque values and procedures. link

Bwalt thank ypu for such detailed help, i have built engines before it just that fsde new to me and all new. I will be buying everything u mentioned, i just need help figuring out best piston choice, as in compression and company choose, and if possible to get upgraded pins and if pressed in or floating.
Also need help with best bearings there numerous brands like acl and king and others but i want best ones for daily use, and
Ill need find better harmonic balancer and have make sure i balance all together.

Injectors i been looking i need e85 compatible and can support up to 400whp without being 95 percent duty

Awesome! sounds like you know what you're doing. Engine bay looks good.

The haltech elite is fantastic, be careful when setting up the crank trigger though. Select the FSZE trigger setting. If you select FSDE, the tooth profile will be incorrect.

Look into Injector Dynamics, they make great injectors. E85 spec'd too and there should be a sizing calculator on their site. AEMs 320lph pump fit in the protege fuel tank.

I built my engine with King bearings and so far no issues. ACL, Clevite or OEM would be good too. They're all basically oem spec replacements.

Any forged piston you buy for this engine will come with floating pins. E85 compression ratios are around 10:1 so you'll likely need to custom order a set. I only have experience with wiseco pistons but have heard others did well with arias and cp. Totally up to you what brand to choose.

10.1 one bit high for daily. 9.1 will be safer maybe. 92octane fuel be main use, e85 will be set up as an option to have, i did have e85 wire added to my harness.

Current turbo is t2871r with a pope 3inch down pipe

In that case, grab your self some stock compression 9:1 forged pistons with 0.020" overbore. The wiseco's should be readily available.

I'm stoked to see how your build turns out!

Last edited:
Back