MS3 short shifter installed

Engineer420

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT Black Mica
I installed the short shifter a few days ago and I definetly like it but Im a little concerned about how stiff it is compared to the stock..the shifts are clean and precise but the overall feel is kinda stiff..i'm assuming thats just the way its suppost to be but I'm a little paranoid I messed something up.. any of you guys with the short shifter notice that also?

feels like a joystick huh ?.. from what i've heard, i think thats what it's suppose to feel, what kind of brand is it ?

yes it is supposed to be stiffer only cause you have less leverage on the shifter cables. when its cool outside it will be even more stiff cause of the trans is cold. nothing to worry about, you could consider installing a heavier shift nob which may help offset the stiffness.

you can take off the shifter counterweight as well. Do a search if you want to find out how to do it. Its an easy mod, its free and it supposedly makes the shifter feel lighter. People who have the short shifter seem to like this mod

i don't have any shifting issues with my STS. did you use enough of the grease that was recommended? If not, then you could be getting too much friction on the ball portion of the shifter causing it to be "forced" into gear? just wondering though....

-J

I just installed the TWM w/ the weighted shift knob and it feels stronger and it goes into gear much easier now than before. I do not have any vibrations, that I can tell, I would get the weighted shift knob. It helps in putting the car into gear. I agree that when the tranny is colder it will take more umpf to get it in gear, but I noticed this with my stock gear lever as well. BTW I have a Mazda 3, not the MS3.

you can take off the shifter counterweight as well. Do a search if you want to find out how to do it. Its an easy mod, its free and it supposedly makes the shifter feel lighter. People who have the short shifter seem to like this mod

ya, the mod is as simple as removing 2 very easily accessible bolts in the engine bay, and it changes the feel of the shifting a LOT. try it out and see if you like it better. if not, it's a snap to put the weight back on...:D

I put on the short throw with the bushings and felt it a lot more stiffer then before, which is a good thing. After a while the shifter will break in and it will feel a little bit more controlable and not quite as stiff. I have yet to miss a shift up and downshifting, so I can't complain.

thanks guys..good info..i think im going to look into the counter weight because i don't want a metal knob cuz in miami it gets too hot to touch sometimes when the car is in the sun all day(i have one on my crx). Im looking for a nice leather one to match my leather boots from redline..I really like the short shifter though, i can defintely hit that second to third shift pretty deadly now

ya, the mod is as simple as removing 2 very easily accessible bolts in the engine bay, and it changes the feel of the shifting a LOT. try it out and see if you like it better. if not, it's a snap to put the weight back on...:D

im gunna try that today....

Did you make sure to grease everything up during the install? I haven't noticed any stiffness since my install.

Back