mp3 vs base protege

Sir Nuke said:

HEY Wil, do you want some cheese with your WHINE!!

just admit it, YOU are a whiner!!! :{D

j/k dude.... you know me better than that! ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :(

get on AIM for a change foo!!

Gro Harlem said:
You'll need an assload of parts to convert an ES to a MP3. You'll need:

-sport 20 front fascia (mp3 bumper)
-sideskirts
-rear skirt
-racing hart wheels
-racing beat springs
-tokico struts
-strut bar
-euro spec steering rack
-ecu
-racing beat muffler
-stereo system which adds 2 speakers and a sub, and of course the z828 head unit
-nardi wheel, shift knob and ms pedals
-mp3 seats and floormats
-paint the car blue or yellow ;)

The Stock ES/protege5 dyno's in at about 102-110 hp depending on the car i guess, the only mp3 i've seen had 115 whp.

How many speakers am I supposed to have here you say it adds 2 speakers plus a sub. I have a sub. But four speakers. I know the ex has more than 2 speakers???

not to be picky.....ok....maybe it is to be picky, but, don't forget the sway bars are bigger

front:
"Independent, MacPherson-Strut, coil springs & stabilizer bar (25 mm front stabilizer bar, 16% stiffer spring)"

Rear:
"Independent, strut w/ TTL(Twin-Trapezoidal Link), coil springs & stabilizer bar (20 mm rear stabilizer bar, 19% stiffer spring)"

And rear brakes brakes

Brakes Solid discs ( 10.3 x 0.9in.)

vs ES 2.0:

Solid discs (10.3X0.4 in.)

And clutch is different

and steering ratio's are different 15.4:1 vs 15.0:1

hee hee....I'm just bored, and having some fun with this thread

:D :D

I found out that I was wrong about the steering rack....it is different but...i don't think its the euro spec one (even tho it says it is on the brochures and manuals i have)

The real european spec rack is 14.3 :1 or something like that. For some reason the MP3 has a larger ratio. :shrug:

what would you guys suggest i should do.. im getting my es soon.. should i just lower it with coilovers or should i buy the mp3 suspension parts and put it there? which would you think give better results?

You might want to read the article on www.racingbeat.com. I haven' read it in a long time, but I think ( guys correct me if I wrong) there are some parts they had to modify the rear end in order to physically fit some of the parts in there. So, some of the simple stuff should fit easily, but not all.

I'm too tired to look now.

I would imagine, for the price it would cost to get a mp3 suspension on your es, that there are probably other options out there.

since we're talking proteges

how does the stock protege handle? compared to other stock compact cars ie. accord, civic, focus, cavalier, matrix. anyone have a clue? I've read from owners of stock proteges, and p5s that their cars handle like they are on rails, just wondering if anyone has a comparison of similarly equipped and priced cars.

From what I've always remembered reading is that the Protege ES is the best handling car in it's class. That means that it out handled all the competition.

Yup, I've read the same thing over and over as well. The ES and P5 have the best handling in their class. And if you don't believe it. Get ot there, test drive a Civic, a corolla ( LOL! ), focus, cavalier, sunfire, neon etc and it's DEAD OBVIOUS which one is better.

Honda made a big BIG mistake changing it's suspension. heck, that's why I'm not driving one anymore.

I think you should get the ES and drive it around for a month or so, maybe take it to an autocross and figure out what you don't like about the handling. Then go about doing things to the suspension, wheels, tires, brakes to fix the problem. You might find that changing the tires to something more performance oriented might solve your issues. Or maybe you only want just a rear sway bar. Maybe you'll want an adjustable shock or maybe a different spring. Educate yourself on how suspensions work and what changes/additions/deletions of specific components can do to improve or change how the suspension reacts to your inputs. The only way to truly emulate the way a particular car handles is to buy that car. The MP3 has different suspension geometry than the ES, but Mazda does sell parts that fit your ES that are similar to what is on the MP3. Those parts may be what you need to fix the issues you have with your ES's suspension but there might be something else out there that does a better job of solving the problem for a lot cheaper. Bottom line, don't change things just to change them. Have a reason to do it and you'll be a lot happier with the $ you spend.

Check out www.howstuffworks.com or about.com and search for information on suspension systems. This will get you started in your understanding of suspension systems.
OR
talk to a professional about your suspension/handling and how to correct the problems you have. Talk someone at a shop that works on race car suspensions, not just some ricer speed shop. A place like Tri-Point Engineering might have some ideas for you.

In national level SCCA Club Racing competition the Protege ES has been the national champ for the last two years at the Valvoline runoffs in the Showroom Stock C class. There were probably some shock and exhaust changes there and, of course a rollbar added but the cars runs pretty much in their stock form. It can't handle that bad if it's able to be that competitive.

Back